Sponsored

Any vehicle that is comparable to Rivian ?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
no - ICE ... i know the model x is not going to be the comparable, looking at other options sadly
A Yukon AT4? Xc90 (not for offroading but otherwise)? The defender is probably the closest comp.

MattCanesR1T

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Director Quality Engineering
A Yukon AT4? Xc90 (not for offroading but otherwise)? The defender is probably the closest comp.
Thanks, we'll check those out - my wife likes the idea of at least a phev, but there is not much in the 3 row. she didnt like the xc90 as the back felt overly crammed.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Thanks, we'll check those out - my wife likes the idea of at least a phev, but there is not much in the 3 row. she didnt like the xc90 as the back felt overly crammed.
Based on what I've seen the backseat is going to be about what you get in the XC90 in just about any vehicle in that class. Only vehicles that I can think of that aren't going to have a very small 3rd row are minivans.

MattCanesR1T

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Director Quality Engineering
Based on what I've seen the backseat is going to be about what you get in the XC90 in just about any vehicle in that class. Only vehicles that I can think of that aren't going to have a very small 3rd row are minivans.
I think it's more of the shaped rear of the XC90 ... the cherokee l and kia telluride were so much more comfy than the xc90 (if a 3rd row can be comparable). telluride is 4in shorter, cherokee l is 5 in longer... it's so hard to compare to the potential r1s layout

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

The slope of the roofline definitely has a major impact and that's going to be a factor with a lot of the vehicles in that class. The VW Atlas has a more square frame to it and if I was considering a 3 row ICE vehicle that would be on my short list for sure.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Oddly enough I'll be cross shopping the R1S with the electric Macan. The R1S is bigger than I need and I can live without the more extreme offroad access but a lot depends on the Macan pricing.

It'll be whether I want something that pushes me to be a bit more adventurous or something that's more fun on pavement.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Oddly enough I'll be cross shopping the R1S with the electric Macan. The R1S is bigger than I need and I can live without the more extreme offroad access but a lot depends on the Macan pricing.

It'll be whether I want something that pushes me to be a bit more adventurous or something that's more fun on pavement.
Macan pricing depends on how many of the 1,237 options you elect for :D I think my expectations are that a mid-range EV Macan will basically be the sports SUV version of the Taycan, plus or minus. So, spec a Taycan to your liking and then add $5-$10k. The eTron Sportback in mid level trim is about $85k. I'd say it will easily clear $100k, but I haven't even seen specs on it yet (just expect it to be eTron Sportback plus $).

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
The electric Macan will be priced much lower than the Taycan, probably starting at 65k. The "S" version likely around 76, which is usually the Porsche to buy. So yeah, a well equipped S will probably go for 86-88k.

It'll depend, too, how this tax limit is set up should it pass. If it's by base model price the Macan S will likely qualify, if it's after options well.. good luck.

Sponsored

Waterloo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2022 Defender V8, 2019 Porsche 911
I have two trucks on order that sit on opposite ends of the spectrum. A Defender 110 V8 and an R1S. I have a few more weeks to decide if I want to cancel the Defender order (builds in Jan with March delivery). Holding me back is lack of info on the R1S max pack battery. If it is rated at 350 miles or above I will cancel the Defender and wait for the Rivian.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

I have two trucks on order that sit on opposite ends of the spectrum. A Defender 110 V8 and an R1S. I have a few more weeks to decide if I want to cancel the Defender order (builds in Jan with March delivery). Holding me back is lack of info on the R1S max pack battery. If it is rated at 350 miles or above I will cancel the Defender and wait for the Rivian.
I'm not sure they would do the Max pack if it only gives an additional 36mi. That would seem pointless IMO

My question is when will we have ANY information on the max pack, let alone a delivery timeframe? I'm not optimistic that we will hear anything until a few months after R1S customer deliveries with the large pack happen.
I would be surprised if any Max pack deliveries happen before the end of 2023, but I hope I am wrong.

My hope is that they announce max pack timing and specs before they require any R1S reservation holders to lock in their final orders.

hroussel

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3 perf, (R1T DMP reserved)
I am a late reservation holder and seeing as I probably won’t get a chance to purchase a rivian until 2023 possibly, looking at other options. I love the looks of the rivian and the power, but don’t think I’ll wait that long to buy. Also with inflation and the talks of raising the prices would put me out. Is there any other vehicles out there that have nice interiors, power, and decent price tags? I don’t need to take my 70k+ BEV off-road. Pavement princess it is for me. Any suggestions?
I also have a R1S reservation (LE). But right next to it, as my possible next vehicle, is the BMW iX.

Now I understand that some people don't like the front end of the iX, but spec wise it's a strong competitor in my opinion. Luxurious, super silent (probably more so than the R1S) and at least 300mi of range.

As for power it will be slower than the R1S to 60mph, but very likely faster above that.

I haven't made my mind yet whether I'll cancel my reservation. Waiting for more reviews especially w/r to charging speed and interior noise on highway which are my two main concerns.

Silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F350, Tesla Model S
Occupation
Youth Mentor
I feel like the Lyriq will take longer to get than a Rivian, heck GMC has struggled enough with their Volts and Bolts. creating all new EVs while dealing with that mess just adds fuel to the fire... no pun, intended.

GMC has been less than impressive over the recent years. Their quality has gone down significantly in my eyes ever since they were bailed out by the government in 2008. They talk a huge game but don't seem to have much to back it up in the EV department. Their CEO is delusional when she made the statement that by 2025 GMC will be the #1 EV producing vehicle manufacture. SMH

Cadillac Lyriq if your looking for something with more luxury. I have a preorder and may purchase seeing as it will be forever till I get my R1S (9-21 order)

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Cadillac Lyriq if your looking for something with more luxury. I have a preorder and may purchase seeing as it will be forever till I get my R1S (9-21 order)
I'm in the same spot, 9/21 R1T preorder, with a Lyriq reservation. I'd rather have the R1T, not sure I $20k want it more, the way I want it optioned. Tax incentives may play a factor as well. I doubt I would take the Lyriq (first half of 2022?) and then the R1T about a year later, my current vehicles should last a few years.
Sponsored