Sponsored

My shopping adventure: Rivian vs F150 Lightning

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
Yup, and they put all that space into the cab. The bed is much smaller than the Rangers.
Roger that, which is perhaps where the comments come from that the RT1 is not a work truck but an adventure truck.

R1T bed is 54", Ford Lightning/F150 is 66", Ford Ranger shortest option is 61" (72" available).
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Roger that, which is perhaps where the comments come from that the RT1 is not a work truck but an adventure truck.

R1T bed is 54", Ford Lightning/F150 is 66", Ford Ranger shortest option is 61" (72" available).
Agreed. Also, the bed is part of the unibody. Under heavy loads you'll find that motion from the bed's cargo is going to get transferred to the cab when driving on rougher roads/trails. That's why most trucks separate the bed from the cab. Even Honda realized this with the Ridgeline and fixed it on the 2nd generation. In the R1T's case, I don't think it'll be as much of a big deal. It can handle a lot of cargo weight but the actual size of the bed is going to be a limiting factor in loading.

You can see an example of this at 1:34 on this video. Notice how much movement you get from the bed in relation to the cab.

Anyway, for me, I want a larger bed but I don't have to have it.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I cant wait to see the EPA estimate is for the lightning.

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
So much has been written already, and I have not been able to read all of it, so my comments are probably redundant; nevertheless, here it goes:

@Sgt Beavis , you have taken a lot of time to put together a nice comparison between the choices, spreadsheets, etc. However, I think the choice at the end is more emotional than logical. Both vehicles fulfill your needs and wants to some degree, but not completely. I'd suggest that you forget all of the details, checkmarks, prices, and whatnot, just pick one that speaks to your heart the most.

I have an order in place for a Raptor, which is supposed to show up mid- to late-December. I still struggle on a daily basis, which one to pick. The Raptor speaks to me in very different ways than the R1T, and I tend to change my mind every hour almost. They are so diametrically opposing truck choices, it is maddening. What I realized lately is that my struggles are not logical (logic tells me to go with the Raptor every time), but emotional. The R1T emotionally seems to satisfy me more at this stage.

I hope this is of at least some help in the tune 2 cents :p

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

So much has been written already, and I have not been able to read all of it, so my comments are probably redundant; nevertheless, here it goes:

@Sgt Beavis , you have taken a lot of time to put together a nice comparison between the choices, spreadsheets, etc. However, I think the choice at the end is more emotional than logical. Both vehicles fulfill your needs and wants to some degree, but not completely. I'd suggest that you forget all of the details, checkmarks, prices, and whatnot, just pick one that speaks to your heart the most.

I have an order in place for a Raptor, which is supposed to show up mid- to late-December. I still struggle on a daily basis, which one to pick. The Raptor speaks to me in very different ways than the R1T, and I tend to change my mind every hour almost. They are so diametrically opposing truck choices, it is maddening. What I realized lately is that my struggles are not logical (logic tells me to go with the Raptor every time), but emotional. The R1T emotionally seems to satisfy me more at this stage.

I agree with this. It will come down to being an emotional purchase. Ultimately Iā€™m likely to get the Rivian. It ticks the off road, luxury, and range boxes better than the Ford. At this point itā€™s just a decision on whether to get the Explore or Adventure packages. Thatā€™s going to be determined by the final EV tax credit (assuming it gets passed).

BTW, did you go for the 37s on the Raptor? I had a 2019 Raptor. It was an off road BEAST!

Sponsored

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
I agree with this. It will come down to being an emotional purchase. Ultimately Iā€™m likely to get the Rivian. It ticks the off road, luxury, and range boxes better than the Ford. At this point itā€™s just a decision on whether to get the Explore or Adventure packages. Thatā€™s going to be determined by the final EV tax credit (assuming it gets passed).

BTW, did you go for the 37s on the Raptor? I had a 2019 Raptor. It was an off road BEAST!
Yes, 37" for sure; gotta have it :CWL:

I also have the R1T configured with the Adventure and Off-road packages. IMHO, those are also in the "gotta have it" category :)

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Yes, 37" for sure; gotta have it :CWL:

I also have the R1T configured with the Adventure and Off-road packages. IMHO, those are also in the "gotta have it" category :)
Agreed. Iā€™ll be upgrading to the Adventure pkg IF the new credit removes the price cap.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS

Is that a 2021 Raptor?
i learned the 2022 R starts orders in. Nov and starts deliveries Feb/March of 2022.

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Is that a 2021 Raptor?
i learned the 2022 R starts orders in. Nov and starts deliveries Feb/March of 2022.
Ford hasnā€™t yet formally announced the Raptor R. So who really knows.

Sponsored

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

How much is the value add for Rivianā€™s kinetic suspension? $10k? I think Rivianā€™s (McLaren) suspension is the secret sauce to the R1ā€™s and something the Lightning canā€™t compare with. I spoke at length last week to my Ford dealer. The GM was pretty open about how little Ford is telling dealers, how they (dealers & Ford) have their hands full right now with the Bronco & Mavericks. I asked about V2H, any estimates on cost? He said, no idea yet, but heard of $2-3k with auto switch over, inverter, etc. With all this, I like the Lightning but for my needs Iā€™m going to give Rivian a shot and cancelled my Lightning reservation.
What kind of suspension does the Ford Lightning have? The last Ford truck I drove (probably 2015 model) rode "like a truck". People have described the Rivian's suspension as something special. I'm a Sept 2019 R1S reservation holder, but I would guess R1T and R1S would have same suspension. Sure wish Ford would offer a BEV Explorer.

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
Is that a 2021 Raptor?
It is a 2022. I am not interested in the R at this point.

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

It's gotta be at least $90K before markups. I bet we see them going for $150K.

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
I have a 2018 Raptor - and aside from a few quirks - I love the crap out of it. Yes it's big and a pain to park at times, yes it's a Ford and people dump on their quality, yes I drive it like crap and get terrible mileage, but.... I love it. I did, however, reserve my R1T a few months after getting my Raptor. I honestly don't even remember at the time why I did, but here we are. I further am not really sure how or if any of this is relevant to you, other than to say - I get your indecision. They are / will be two awesome vehicles on opposite ends of the truck spectrum.

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
I am doubtful I will keep both of them. However, I am hoping it will be good to have the option to pick one or the other. I don't think I am risking too much money, if any, by purchasing a Raptor and possibly getting a R1T in year, given the market for used cars and especially for Raptors. Hopefully, I am right.

Although a good friend of mine always says "hope is not a method." :CWL:
Sponsored