Sponsored

My shopping adventure: Rivian vs F150 Lightning

evtrail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150-1996, Aprilia RSV4
Thank you for your comparison. No CarPlay, and only Spotify are intriguing choices given that their UI is still at an early stage. Not supporting carplay leaves a lot of people out of their music, and navigation habits. Supporting it would solve the Bluetooth poor music quality issue, and the inability to have lossless audio since media streaming on carplay is done through wifi.

It could be that they want people to use it and find issues for them to polish it. Still, they said that they don’t exclude an OTA update to support it if the demand is high enough. So I’m hoping that people will voice their need and they make it happens. For now, it’s a big bummer for me…
Sponsored

Rivuylkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see anywhere Rivian said driver+ is hands free https://rivian.com/support/article/what-features-are-included-in-rivian-driver

Blue Cruise might not be ready yet but they will be similar to GM's Super Cruise.
https://rivian.com/r1t , scroll down

Rivian Driver+ is standard on every vehicle we build. Delivering true hands-free driving assistance along with our full set of safety features, the system continually adds functionality through over-the-air updates. By making Driver+ standard, our goal is to make driving safer, easier and less stressful for everyone.

There's also one of the review videos where it was tested and was hands free (at least for the little clip) but doubt I could find it now.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management

Rivian Driver+ is standard on every vehicle we build. Delivering true hands-free driving assistance along with our full set of safety features, the system continually adds functionality through over-the-air updates. By making Driver+ standard, our goal is to make driving safer, easier and less stressful for everyone.

There's also one of the review videos where it was tested and was hands free (at least for the little clip) but doubt I could find it now.
This same excerpt states "By making Driver+ standard" which my understanding of the S1 filing contradicts. I'm expecting driver assist features to be tiered so both statements could be true. I guess we will have to wait and see what features become available at what time and cost. These decisions may be still being actively decided so we might have to wait for a definitive breakdown.

Rivuylkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
This same excerpt states "By making Driver+ standard" which my understanding of the S1 filing contradicts. I'm expecting driver assist features to be tiered so both statements could be true. I guess we will have to wait and see what features become available at what time and cost. These decisions may be still being actively decided so we might have to wait for a definitive breakdown.
My understanding is Driver+ is "hands free" like Tesla's autopilot or Blue Cruise is "hands free" -- basically all have the intention of being good lane keep assist, drive hands free on highways ,etc. Level 2.

The S1 10000 option talks about autonomous level 3 which is more akin to Tesla full self driving (again not saying that it works like that yet but that's just what it's called). Driver++? Full Self Driver+? I think it's separate like basic autopilot is different than FSD. Maybe I'm just way off.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

I couldn’t tell from your original spreadsheets: Are you assuming you’re going to get the F-150 at MSRP?

if so, based on what I have read, that would not be a safe assumption.

Sponsored

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
I couldn’t tell from your original spreadsheets: Are you assuming you’re going to get the F-150 at MSRP?

if so, based on what I have read, that would not be a safe assumption.
If you are willing to do a little homework it is an easy assumption

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Very nice comparison. My only exception to it would be listing local Ford service departments as "EV ready" as a Pro. I bought an Escape Hybrid the year it came out in 2005. Still love and miss that thing. It was the first hybrid SUV and years ahead of anything on the market at the time. After returning from living overseas in 2015, it was dead in the garage. After a customer service experience at my closest Ford dealership so bad it would make your head spin, I finally got a call from the department head and their lead mechanic. First they apologized for their incompetent communication for the month it had already been there. Next the mechanic assured me that he had "specialized" training in hybrid systems, and although someone with no training would probably tell me it couldn't be fixed, he could do it. So I mistakenly gave them the go ahead to do the repairs instead of suspecting I was talking to Jeff Spicoli. Once finished, it died on the road without making the 45 minute drive home. When it made it to the next closest Ford dealership, he could get it running, but was amazed anyone told me it was worth fixing and also found some other evidence of some grossly incompetent diagnostic work. Fortunately it ran long enough to unload it at a Carmax up the road who didn't know the history. Bottom line, I will never return to the large Ford dealership run by greedy incompetent hillbillies outside of Hilton Head who are there to do nothing more than suck money out of wealthy Hilton Head retirees. But for your list, I wouldn't put proximity to existing service centers in the Pro category unless you had some inside knowledge of their true competence. At best it's a neutral. True, Rivian's plans are promising and unproven, but I have more faith in their plans than I do in Ford's current capabilities.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

If you are willing to do a little homework it is an easy assumption
Like most stuff discussed in these forums we will need to wait and see how it all plays out.

GearsGrindn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford Fusion Energi
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Is this the 3.0L diesel ?
Yes. The 3.0L diesel. I had two issues with the truck: 1) no place to store items except the bed or under the rear seat and 2) vehicle would not fit in a standard garage.

Sponsored

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V

Interesting! According to the support page they didn't mention hands-free. Anyway, according to the support page, driver+ will only use the sensors, no mention of map data. I am guessing it will be something similar to Tesla's Autopilot (not FSD) which still requires hands on the wheel because of the system's high confusion rate.

GM's super cruise and Ford's Blue Cruise uses HD mapping of the actual road, along with the sensors, which enables the car to stay on the lane even in poor weather condition or faded lane marking. That's why they allow to remove hands off the wheel completely. Without map information, I wouldn't keep my expectation very high that I'll be actually able to drive hands-free.

Last edited:

Rivuylkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Bottom line, I will never return to the large Ford dealership run by greedy incompetent hillbillies outside of Hilton Head who are there to do nothing more than suck money out of wealthy Hilton Head retirees
I will add that post purchase experience (and even purchase) at the dealership played no small part in not really considering a Lighting to replace my F150, or a MachE vs a Y. There's lots to love about them but the dealership isn't one of them. Yeah, who knows with Rivian yet, but at least there's hope. Plus I just think I was done with Ford and wanted something new.

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

So, this is the build and pricing of the R1T I ordered..
For now, I've capped my price at $74000, in case the new EV Credit gets passed and has an MSRP cutoff. If the cutoff doesn't make it into the final law, I'll move to the adventure pack.

I may also change the color to Green and remove some of the options. That would let me add the Off-Road package. I'm not yet sold on that package. I can always buy the other options (charger, floor mats, field kit, crossbars) separately. I could also just go with white and get the truck wrapped later.
Rivian R1T R1S My shopping adventure: Rivian vs F150 Lightning 1634747631969

I still have my Ford F150 Lightning reservation. The XLT version would be my choice if I decide to cheap out. :CWL: I'm cancelling my Cybertruck reservation. I'd. probably end up waiting until 2025/26 before I could take delivery of that.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
So, this is the build and pricing of the R1T I ordered..
For now, I've capped my price at $74000, in case the new EV Credit gets passed and has an MSRP cutoff. If the cutoff doesn't make it into the final law, I'll move to the adventure pack.

I may also change the color to Green and remove some of the options. That would let me add the Off-Road package. I'm not yet sold on that package. I can always buy the other options (charger, floor mats, field kit, crossbars) separately. I could also just go with white and get the truck wrapped later.
1634747631969.png

I still have my Ford F150 Lightning reservation. The XLT version would be my choice if I decide to cheap out. :CWL: I'm cancelling my Cybertruck reservation. I'd. probably end up waiting until 2025/26 before I could take delivery of that.
If your goal is to get an EV truck as soon as possible, I would not cancel anything. We don't know what can happen next year that could impact Rivian or Ford production. Also Tesla does not deliver vehicles based on when you make the order. I got my Model Y before some people who had ordered it a year before me. I have R1T, F150 Lightning and Cybertruck order, and I am not cancelling any of them until I get a truck.

evtrail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150-1996, Aprilia RSV4
I have R1T, F150 Lightning and Cybertruck order, and I am not cancelling any of them until I get a truck.
Is there a reason why you're keeping the Cybertruck but not the Hummer Ev? Not thrilled by the Package?
Sponsored