First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
For all those questioning why LTE is even needed or why it does routing in the cloud, this actually makes sense to me. It's a charger-aware route so it shows not only where the best places for charging are but it actively shows how many of the chargers at that site are in use. So, if it were doing a route and it found a place that would be a good candidate but all of the chargers are occupied, it will route away from that site. This is compute intensive and it makes sense to do this somewhere other than on the vehicle.
I'm fine with that, but it should not require an LTE connection to do a basic routing. There are no chargers for any EVs within 50 miles of my vacation property (and tens or hundreds of thousands of others across the US, I'm sure), and there won't be for a long time. The only electric vehicles the locals will buy in that area are Radio Controlled F150 Monster Trucks, lol.
Sponsored

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

To me, "by January", means prior to the month of January arriving, which would include "the end of 2021, but not any of Jan 2022.
I think you may be spending too much time parsing words trying to interpret the deeper hidden meaning.
; - )

That being said, I can assure you that, as a kid, if I told my parents I would be home BY ten on a school night and I showed up at 10:59PM....well...that dog don't hunt and any attempt on my part to be clever in explaining that it is still 10 would be met with unpleasant consequences!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
For all those questioning why LTE is even needed or why it does routing in the cloud, this actually makes sense to me. It's a charger-aware route so it shows not only where the best places for charging are but it actively shows how many of the chargers at that site are in use. So, if it were doing a route and it found a place that would be a good candidate but all of the chargers are occupied, it will route away from that site. This is compute intensive and it makes sense to do this somewhere other than on the vehicle.
There's no reason to not offer routing without charging, or at least start that way until a signal is captured. That's not even a "remote location" issue. I'd like my route to get started when I'm in a parking garage for example, and then update with traffic+charging as needed once I have a signal.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
The map photos/renderings usually are delivered via LTE. you know where you are at all times, but how to translate it into something readable requires more data.
Maybe I just have an old nav systems but in my 10 year old GTI the maps and navigation work just fine and that car doesn't have cellular.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
The explore model? Doubt it.

HD audio was common place a few years ago. It's sadly missing now on a lot of brands. Blame a chip shortage. GM still has it.

Either your area has HD FM stations or it doesn't. Sadly market acceptance hasn't been great, but I just want it for the (5) NPR subchannels it delivers.
I could live with the subpar quality of "Meridian sound system" if it was just me but I know every time my wife gets in the car listening to her favorite FM station, I will definitely hear about how her Subaru with 65 HD stations at quarter of the price sounds better. When my number comes up, I will have to deal with the question; get a new Rivian or keep the old wife.

Does anyone know if Explore sound system is Meridian with fewer speakers or it is a different brand? Frankly, I rather have the HD radio than additional speakers if there is a choice to be made.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I could live with the subpar quality of "Meridian sound system" if it was just me but I know every time my wife gets in the car listening to her favorite FM station, I will definitely hear about how her Subaru with 65 HD stations at quarter of the price sounds better. When my number comes up, I will have to deal with the question; get a new Rivian or keep the old wife.

Does anyone know if Explore sound system is Meridian with less speakers or it is a different brand? Frankly, I rather have the HD radio than additional speakers if there is a choice to be made.
I would be absolutely shocked if the Explore system has any functions that the Meridien one doesn’t. The “head unit” is the same, as far as anyone can tell from the FCC filings.

Reactions: Max

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I did some searching and I came to the conclusion of no digital FM radio, but that is not based upon seeing it in person.
In his overview clip of the audio system, Brennan Boblett, Director of UX Design explicitly mentioned HD Radio support.
Rivian R1T R1S My Q&A with Rivian reps at Venice Hub riv_radio

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
They are both Meridian but not much detail on the Meridian site for them, you can see a very small spreadsheet that shows the difference between base and elevation on each page.

R1S and R1T

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
I'm fine with that, but it should not require an LTE connection to do a basic routing. There are no chargers for any EVs within 50 miles of my vacation property (and tens or hundreds of thousands of others across the US, I'm sure), and there won't be for a long time. The only electric vehicles the locals will buy in that area are Radio Controlled F150 Monster Trucks, lol.
Right. If I want to know how to get somewhere 10 miles away when I have 80% charge left, I should be able to figure that out offline. And helping me stay not-lost will preserve my range for when I need it.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
This can't be right. There's gotta be a way to have maps/navigation without cell/LTE. So many cars do this now that I can't believe thats the reason it took so long to route. They gotta have the maps downloaded or at least give you the option to do that.
My guess is the reason it took long is that it is downloading the imaging and other data to limit the dependency on LTE while you are driving in case you lose connection. It will also have the advantage that system is more responsive with most of the data being local. This is only a guess.

Rivian should be out in the next month on a dog and pony show for their IPO. The info from that should give all of us more clarity on this delivery topic. They really have dropped the ball in terms of getting a coherent and uniform line of communication out to the reservation holders. That won't be the case with the entities involved in the IPO.
I wonder if they are producing the trucks but not delivering them. Rivian has had a tight control over it's image. Losing it to every customer with access to youtube right before IPO is not the smartest move. I have a feeling, major deliveries to mortals (folks that don't have to sign NDAs) will start after IPO.

In his overview clip of the audio system, Brennan Boblett, Director of UX Design explicitly mentioned HD Radio support.
I can't believe people get me all worked up over nothing. Now that makes sense. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Sponsored

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Positive news that HD Radio is supported ... KNX 1070 is crucial listening here in So Cal for "Traffic on the 5s" ... KNX is not on Tunein (they used to be until the station was bought out and moved to the renamed Audicy App).

rockdogz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I wonder if they are producing the trucks but not delivering them. Rivian has had a tight control over it's image. Losing it to every customer with access to youtube right before IPO is not the smartest move. I have a feeling, major deliveries to mortals (folks that don't have to sign NDAs) will start after IPO.
I was thinking the same thing....now when is that IPO date again??

R1Tr8000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘99 SLK230, 22 Sequoia, 17 GLE43, 14 CnAm SxS
Occupation
Aerospace retired
Thanks for asking the questions I was kind of waiting for.

Oh Damn, this sucks! They build an amazing Meridian audio system and cripple it by limiting to Spotify!
I like to listen to my own audio. I was really hoping they would have an internal storage where you can store FLAC/WAV/MP3 audio, at least enable USB playback!
What happens when there is shoddy or no data connection?

This sucks again! Did they make any mention of how the offline navigation would work?
Off Line Nav: I thought..maybe.. I read somewhere that while still online with cellular, that the system anticipates losing connectivity, and then downloads mapping, routing data for that area/region. Or..not?
Sponsored