Rivian wheels compared to Land Rover Defender wheels

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Saw this while walking the dogs today and was scratching my head a bit. Apparently you can get your Land Rover Defender outfitted with what looks like four spare tires?

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian wheels compared to Land Rover Defender wheels 1634572976973

I had to look this up to determine if this was an OEM thing or not and, sure enough, it is: https://accessories.landrover.com/c...wheel-18-style-5093-steel-5-spoke-fuji-white/

Amazingly, this OEM Land Rover set of (4) extremely pedestrian. wheels/tires costs $1,920, which made me go look at how much a set of (4) nicer alloy wheels cost and first ones I clicked were $5,200...

Granted these seem to be for outright purchase versus configuring them on a vehicle but, regardless, pretty pricey. Long story short, I'm no longer put off by the cost of the upgrade wheels/tires offered by Rivian. :)
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Saw this while walking the dogs today and was scratching my head a bit. Apparently you can get your Land Rover Defender outfitted with what looks like four spare tires?

1634572976973.png

I had to look this up to determine if this was an OEM thing or not and, sure enough, it is: https://accessories.landrover.com/c...wheel-18-style-5093-steel-5-spoke-fuji-white/

Amazingly, this OEM Land Rover set of (4) extremely pedestrian. wheels/tires costs $1,920, which made me go look at how much a set of (4) nicer alloy wheels cost and first ones I clicked were $5,200...

Granted these seem to be for outright purchase versus configuring them on a vehicle but, regardless, pretty pricey. Long story short, I'm no longer put off by the cost of the upgrade wheels/tires offered by Rivian. :)
lol. People like steelies (the rims).

Enjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M240i
Clubs

I recall watching Doug Demuro's video about his Defender purchase, and he mentions he "really really really really really wanted the steel wheels". I don't get it personally -- I think they look terrible. In my neck of the woods people put on steelies in the winter because they are the cheapest way to have a separate winter wheel setup. All I see is ugly cheap wheels.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

1634572976973.png

It’s meant to be a callback to the heavy duty steel wheels on the previous defenders. Like I have on mine(observed here in its natural state)

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian wheels compared to Land Rover Defender wheels 0245DA94-A6FB-4CB1-B84B-46513B14523D

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
I suppose I can understand the aesthetic, especially given the retro cred. But given the price, this is one of those situations where I think I might just opt for a $75 aftermarket rim rather than the "authentic" OEM... :)

Sponsored

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
I recall watching Doug Demuro's video about his Defender purchase, and he mentions he "really really really really really wanted the steel wheels". I don't get it personally -- I think they look terrible. In my neck of the woods people put on steelies in the winter because they are the cheapest way to have a separate winter wheel setup. All I see is ugly cheap wheels.
It is not about the looks, it is about the tires and their sidewall height. Steel wheels are smaller in diameter, so you can get a tire with much bigger sidewalls, which is desirable when offroading.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

In addition to the retro aesthetic, I think that some people like the steel versus alloy wheels because of damage resistance and/or repairability when incurring damage off-road.

Also, the 18 inch wheels for the Defender (both retro and modern) cannot be chosen with the I-6 (P400) mild hybrid engine. The larger engine gets larger disc brakes and the smallest wheel they can fit is 19 inches, if I recall correctly. However, even with 19 inch wheels on the Defender and 20 inch wheels on the Rivian R1 platform, I seem to recall that RIvians have a taller sidewall because of a larger rolling diameter. Rivian also has better ground clearance, I think.

scooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 1250GS
Clubs

Makes me miss my old 1970 88. Double-clutching 1st and 2nd, rattle can touch ups. Thing of beauty.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I suppose I can understand the aesthetic, especially given the retro cred. But given the price, this is one of those situations where I think I might just opt for a $75 aftermarket rim rather than the "authentic" OEM... :)
If you choose the base I-4 engine with the lowest option pack, these are the only wheel choice which don't incur an upgrade charge. To people shopping for a base Defender these are the only "free" choice like the 21 inch wheel on the R1T & R1S.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian wheels compared to Land Rover Defender wheels Image 10-18-21 at 11.09 AM

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
It is not about the looks, it is about the tires and their sidewall height. Steel wheels are smaller in diameter, so you can get a tire with much bigger sidewalls, which is desirable when offroading.
Does the steel wheel version come with smaller brake calipers? The wheels have to fit over the brakes. The minimum wheel size doesn't really depend on what the wheels are made of. While steel might be slightly thinner than aluminum, I can't imagine the difference is more than a few mm. Not enough to have a meaningful impact on the minimum wheel size unless you are just 1mm away from fitting the next size down.

Sponsored

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
@sub - Not to my knowledge, the brakes are the same size as far as I know.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you choose the base I-4 engine with the lowest option pack, these are the only wheel choice which don't incur an upgrade charge. To people shopping for a base Defender these are the only "free" choice like the 21 inch wheel on the R1T & R1S.
Image 10-18-21 at 11.09 AM.jpg
I like the 5 spoke 18” alloys, they look like the “boost” wheels from old defenders.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

The 18” Alloy upgrade is only $800.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian wheels compared to Land Rover Defender wheels BE534278-43FA-4EA9-ABB9-F15AA7438861

Steelies are arguably better for off roading than alloys. They are cheap and can even be fixed out on the trails. Also the 18” size is FAR superior for offroading than 20” or larger wheels. This is because 18s let you have much more side wall for tire flex. You’re much less likely to pop a bead when off roading with 18s.

Specifically to the Defender. You can only get Steelies on the base models. If you move to higher trim levels, the smallest wheel you can get is a 19” allow due to the size of the much larger brakes.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Yes: or with studded winter tires.
Sponsored