Any other Canadians on this group yet?

WestCoastCanuck

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre-Order
Hello all - just wondering how many Canadians are on this group thus far, since they took the time to create a Canadian sub-group?
Sponsored

Alan Burns

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Terrain, 1967 Chevrolet 1/2 ton p/u
I will probably linger here now and then since I commonly make 2 trips north from Montana to Calgary, AB and the wilds of Big Valley, AB. I am interested in how the power company charging stations are going to work and if it might be worth it to get their credit card to deal with the exchange rate.

OP
OP
WestCoastCanuck

WestCoastCanuck

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre-Order
I will probably linger here now and then since I commonly make 2 trips north from Montana to Calgary, AB and the wilds of Big Valley, AB. I am interested in how the power company charging stations are going to work and if it might be worth it to get their credit card to deal with the exchange rate.
It's different in every province, and Alberta (being the Texas of Canada) isn't adopting EV technology nearly as rapidly as some other provinces. The best hope is that Rivian will adopt the Tesla charging system, as Tesla SuperChargers will soon cover all of the major routes...

Alan Burns

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Montana is a red state so it fits right in with Alberta politics. The Calgarians want me to bring Trudeau home with me. I have agreed if they will let me bring Trump north in exchange. They will not allow that since they don't Trump but believe he is good for the US. Up in Big Valley they will take Trump and pay us $100,000,000CDN bonus.

At least everyone is friendly about it all.

I wonder how long it will take Petro Can to get their chargers along Hwy 1 done out west?

OP
OP
WestCoastCanuck

WestCoastCanuck

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre-Order
Montana is a red state so it fits right in with Alberta politics. The Calgarians want me to bring Trudeau home with me. I have agreed if they will let me bring Trump north in exchange. They will not allow that since they don't Trump but believe he is good for the US. Up in Big Valley they will take Trump and pay us $100,000,000CDN bonus.

At least everyone is friendly about it all.

I wonder how long it will take Petro Can to get their chargers along Hwy 1 done out west?
I don't believe Trump is good for anyone except the Russians - and he's particularly not good for the US. America's standing in the world has suffered terribly in the last two years, and I think it's going to take a generation after he's gone for it to be regained - if it ever is. Red versus blue politics aside, how can anyone support a man who, in addition to be a narcissistic, misogynistic, racist pig, is also a certifiable liar of epic proportions? This is a man who just last week autographed copies of the Bible! Yet the religious right laps up his every word? It just blows my mind.

Anyway, I would say that Alberta and Saskatchewan will be the last places in Canada that PetroCan installs chargers. Quebec and BC are the only provinces that subsidize EVs, and there is no Federal tax credit for them here, so I would expect them to be first, along with Ontario just because of its population. The big problem up here is that - like Montana - it's some distance between population centres. If you've ever driven across Canada you'll know there are stretches of the Trans-Canada (Hwy 1) where you can drive for 24-hours straight and not see much more than trees. Hard to build chargers if there is no electricity nearby!

Sponsored

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
Montrealer here: Gave a deposit for an R1S on Feb 3rd.

joel_Dman

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kona EV, Bolt EV.
Pre-ordered Nov 26th. The R1T, live in Ottawa, Going to the pre-order gathering in New York in April. Anyone else?

OP
OP
WestCoastCanuck

WestCoastCanuck

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre-Order
Pre-ordered Nov 26th. The R1T, live in Ottawa, Going to the pre-order gathering in New York in April. Anyone else?
Didn't get an invite - either it was limited to people within a reasonable distance of NYC or limited to the first X number of people who reserved, and I only reserved a few weeks ago.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I'm going, but I'm waitlisted for the event. If you need a plus one I'm your man

Alan Burns

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't believe Trump is good for anyone except the Russians - and he's particularly not good for the US. America's standing in the world has suffered terribly in the last two years, and I think it's going to take a generation after he's gone for it to be regained - if it ever is. Red versus blue politics aside, how can anyone support a man who, in addition to be a narcissistic, misogynistic, racist pig, is also a certifiable liar of epic proportions? This is a man who just last week autographed copies of the Bible! Yet the religious right laps up his every word? It just blows my mind.

Anyway, I would say that Alberta and Saskatchewan will be the last places in Canada that PetroCan installs chargers. Quebec and BC are the only provinces that subsidize EVs, and there is no Federal tax credit for them here, so I would expect them to be first, along with Ontario just because of its population. The big problem up here is that - like Montana - it's some distance between population centres. If you've ever driven across Canada you'll know there are stretches of the Trans-Canada (Hwy 1) where you can drive for 24-hours straight and not see much more than trees. Hard to build chargers if there is no electricity nearby!

I am headed to Calgary tomorrow for a trade show and did a quick EV charging check. Of course there is Tesla but Canadian Tire has both low speed charging @$2/hr and high speed charging @$20/hr. If you can get 400 mi on an hour charge it will beat Canadian gas prices 8-10 times over. If CT adds EV charging to all their stores they will open huge areas of Canada to electric travel.

I see they also sell an overnight charger for your garage which is user installation for 240 volt, 30 amp. Schnieder is the brand for $845. Some provinces give a 50% rebate. I see it is online order with in store pick up. That probably rules out any Boxing Day specials. I guess I will need to see how to find a way to tap into the 240 at the fairground in Big Valley, AB during my August trips.

Sponsored

Alan Burns

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
When was the last time you drove from Arizona to Canada for a visit?

Alberta and Saskatchewan have oil based economies with lots of jobs supported by the oil industry. Manitoba and Ontario have larger populations and more diverse economies. EVs will be seen as a threat to jobs out west and perhaps a benefit in the east where petroleum must be shipped in.

That is an inescapable part of the politics and will reflect upon where EV sales are popular and support will become available. If you live in western Canada and buy an EV expect to be scorned by your neighbors. If you own an EV and travel through western Canada you may find charging stations along Hiway 1 to be slower arriving than in eastern provinces. We will have to see how the tourist industry pushes the infrastructure.

Skigh

First Name
Skigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Vancouver resident here. I put a deposit on my R1S and can't wait to hear more news soon.....

Salty Sailor

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Suburban
Just joined today from way out east in Halifax, NS. I recently retired from the navy, exchanging life in uniform to become a stay-at-home dad. I put a fair bit more miles on my Chevy Suburban these days and can't wait to make the jump to electric. My father-in-law has a Tesla Model S which I got to drive for a week. I was blown away at the performance of that ride but the sedan just doesn't fit our family needs. The R1S is exactly what I was hoping to find. Until very recently I was thinking that VW's ID Buzz (in 2022) was the only other 'fit' for us on the horizon. Rivian's R1S definitely has my attention - and probably a $1000 USD deposit pretty soon.....
Sponsored