Campers and Roof Rack Tents

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
I keep going back and forth between the R1T and R1S. I really like the practicality, storage and versatility of the R1T but the R1S, at 16.4" shorter, is more maneuverable and sleeker looking. Maybe a shorthand for the differences might be, one is more country, and one is more city. Also, one is slated to come sooner than the other, and for those of us losing patience, that might be important.

A while ago I started looking at camper shells and roof rack tents. R1Ts are often shown with Tepui rack tents, a product made here in Santa Cruz, where I live. I don't know what sort of relationship Tepui and Rivian have, except to say that as far as I know, there is no official Rivian-Tepui relationship. But it's likely that Tepui tents will be available and ready to go for Rivian vehicles.

After looking around, I heard about a company in Montana (www.gofastcampers.com) that makes camper shells and roof rack tents for specific truck beds. That is, shells and racks are custom designed to fit particular bed and roof sizes and, accordingly, nothing is yet available that fits a Rivian.

If practicality, storage and versatility are important to you, gofast campers and rack tents offer a lot. I especially like the up & down utility of the camper. You get sleeping space above and lockable utility space below. It comes at a cost, however. Camper shells are $6-7K, depending on size, and the chamfered aesthetics of the Rivians take a hit. How big of a hit is subjective, of course, but it's significant in my opinion.

Anyway, the forum might be a good place for sharing what we're learning about options, add-ons and extras for tricking out our rides. What thoughts do you have?
Sponsored

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I guess it really just depends on what people are going to do with the vehicle. So I am R1S all the way..... however, I have always been an SUV type. I absolutely loved my LX470 but the gas mileage was abysmal. While the R1T has some super cool features there is one feature I am, hoping for and kind of expecting in the R1S... Second row Lay flat seats with Climate controlled camping. I'm about 2 years from being an empty nester but still young enough to kind of rough it camping. We had a 35' trailer for a while but never pulled it farther than about 250 miles (in Central Texas that doesn't get you very far) I could see my wife and I taking a trip to a National Park and renting an RV spot just with this vehicle. Cut a 3 inch foam mattress to fit with the rear seats down and I'd expect to sleep quite nicely.

Heck there is a part of me that wishes they would take the Amazon Delivery Van version of the skateboard platform and develop a travel van... I doubt they will even consider that until the Amazon commitment is fulfilled... And there probably isn't enough market for it then. But if they ever make one I'd be first in line.....

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

I really like the tent and pull-out kitchen ideas for the R1T, but I need the space of the R1S with a large dog, gear, and family. At one of the public events I asked a Rivian employee if there were any plans for something similar to the R1T kitchen to be used in the R1S. He told me that there were several things on the drawing board and asked me what exactly I wanted to see. We discussed a few ideas and I‘m anxious to see what they make available.

No matter what, I can assure you multiple 3rd party vendors will be chomping at the bit to build all kinds of accessories for both the R1S and R1T.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
If practicality, storage and versatility are important to you, gofast campers and rack tents offer a lot. I especially like the up & down utility of the camper. You get sleeping space above and lockable utility space below. It comes at a cost, however. Camper shells are $6-7K, depending on size, and the chamfered aesthetics of the Rivians take a hit. How big of a hit is subjective, of course, but it's significant in my opinion.
If you like the camper shell rooftop tent scenario, I would look at options with overland style offroad trailers. A few main reasons:

1) Not a "permanent" fixture to the vehicle
2) Would work for R1T or R1S
3) Adds more storage/space
4) Easier to level than an entire vehicle when it's time to use that rooftop tent

I would either go rooftop tent alone, or trailer.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Rivian That seems like a problem a high-tech adjustable air-suspension truck ought to be able to solve for you.
That's true & would be an awesome feature! In many situations, yes. However, I've been in camping spots (even in state parks) where the incline would be too much for the air suspension to offset.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
It's a pretty wide clearance range IIRC. I think 8-14". Not sure what kneel mode clearance.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I would think within "reason" it should be self leveling. My 2000 LX470 had self leveling front/back (not left/right)

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Not sure what kneel mode clearance.
FWIW - From the Rivian spec that made the rounds around the time Rivian revealed at LA auto show:
R1T​
R1S​
Kneel/Park Ground Clearance
7.9"​
8.1"​
Off Road Ground Clearance
14.2"​
14.4"​

Last edited:

jfrench

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Land Cruiser x2 (for sale when the R1T gets delivered), Land Rover Range Rover (wife's rig)
Leentu needs to reopen to build a carbon fiber shell camper for the R1T.

See here for an example on a Tacoma:
https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...with-unique-carbon-fiber-popup-camper.214041/

Or google Leentu for some more images. It’s not unlike the renderings here on the forum of what an R1T with bed topper might look like.

Personally, I’m going with a trailer until the kids are grown and gone. Then I’ll be looking at a bed topper add on.

Sponsored

jfrench

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Land Cruiser x2 (for sale when the R1T gets delivered), Land Rover Range Rover (wife's rig)
OP
OP
Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Heck there is a part of me that wishes they would take the Amazon Delivery Van version of the skateboard platform and develop a travel van... I doubt they will even consider that until the Amazon commitment is fulfilled... And there probably isn't enough market for it then. But if they ever make one I'd be first in line.....

Thats a KILLER idea! Not for me but it would be so cool!! Food truck....