Sponsored

Per Rivian: plant is running 2 production lines... one for Amazon and another for the R1T. Won't delay the R1T

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Of all of the great things Rivian has accomplished, I find their level of communication to be serious lacking. You have around 50,000 launch edition/regular orders for vehicles. These people are walking beta testers and mouthpieces for the company. As a launch edition customer, I am willing to endure growing pains in return I get a newly designed SUV (R1S launch edition). So why struggle with sharing information. How easy would it be for Rivian to announce that initial R1T orders are going to employees that put in orders and the reason we are doing that is to be able to react quickly to any issues that might arise in our early production models. Boom! you become transparent. Rivian is able to keep a tighter control on the narrative and people now understand their process and have a perspective. Instead they remain tight lipped and us "launch-onauts" are left hanging in the breeze hoping for any morsel of info. Kinda stupid. PR is a delicate balance and Rivian to date has dropped the ball.
Agree that their comm has been lacking. Especially disappointing after RJ wrote a personal letter saying they would improve. I think their formal channels like their website, twitter, IG have been ok, definitely improved after that letter, but comms to pre-order holders hasn't changed.

What's also frustrating is that when you watch interviews or interactions RJ has with customers, he's very transparent, forthcoming, down to earth so you know he isn't hiding things that don't need to be hidden. There just seems to be a gap between him and the rest of Rivian to trickle it down.
Sponsored

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Agree that their comm has been lacking. Especially disappointing after RJ wrote a personal letter saying they would improve. I think their formal channels like their website, twitter, IG have been ok, definitely improved after that letter, but comms to pre-order holders hasn't changed.

What's also frustrating is that when you watch interviews or interactions RJ has with customers, he's very transparent, forthcoming, down to earth so you know he isn't hiding things that don't need to be hidden. There just seems to be a gap between him and the rest of Rivian to trickle it down.
What more do people need to hear? As of now all LE vehicles delivered by Spring 2022. The rest start on Jan 2022. Do we really need emails walking us thru how to wait with a bit of patience?

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
What more do people need to hear? As of now all LE vehicles delivered by Spring 2022. The rest start on Jan 2022. Do we really need emails walking us thru how to wait with a bit of patience?
I think we are all fine with waiting so long as there’s forthright communication. For example, we’d like to know what is actually going on with production and whether these dates will hold. Sure seems like no R1Ts have been produced for average joes and that few, if any, R1Ses will get delivered to non-employees this year, which isn’t quite what Rivian promised. So an update on their current plans would be really nice.

State11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Defender D90
Does anyone know if there will be a 3rd R1S line or will the R1S & R1T share a line?

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Does anyone know if there will be a 3rd R1S line or will the R1S & R1T share a line?
It has been reported the R1S and R1t will come off the same line.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Same line - they are the same from the B pillar forward as far as the body goes.
"skateboards" are pretty much the same too, just different lengths.

They will likely have mixed production of all the R1 variants(R1V, X, etc) on the same line.

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
with that last comment... I sure hope you followed up with something like "yeah but only to employees it seems. When will real outside customers get deliveries?"
Thought that line was funny too. I wonder how many employee's have the truck now? Probably less than 50 is my guess.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
I think we are all fine with waiting so long as there’s forthright communication. For example, we’d like to know what is actually going on with production and whether these dates will hold. Sure seems like no R1Ts have been produced for average joes and that few, if any, R1Ses will get delivered to non-employees this year, which isn’t quite what Rivian promised. So an update on their current plans would be really nice.
Would Ford or Tesla be communicating everything happening at their factory?? I just think some people have some strange expectations.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
Would Ford or Tesla be communicating everything happening at their factory?? I just think some people have some strange expectations.
The dealers would. I mean I've only ordered a car two times in my life, but when I ordered one to my spec I got a weekly update, told when I should expect a VIN, told when it was put on the boat, even which port it was at and what stops the truck hauling it was on. Got a call as it was rolling off the truck so I could see it in all it's plastic coated glory before they cleaned it up.

That last bit was an Audi TT Roadster, one of the first 225 HP models sold in KC, it was the most expensive car I or anyone in my family ever owned (i've sense topped that benchmark, but my parents were very tsk tsk at the time) , and a reaction for finding out we couldn't have kids. (Don't have the car, we have four kids though.)

This was 2001 even, back when forums were scarce (except Audiworld had one) and information was even scarcer online, no youtube or ways to share videos, very few photo sites, you had to still develop film or have a really expensive digital camera but it was impossible to find someone to hold the photos or expensive especially if 500 people viewed it.

Funny how some things change, and some things don't.

Sponsored

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
They stated deliveries starting in September. It’s October 13, with no public deliveries. I’d like to hear when they expect deliveries to start and their production goals. They updated us on the last four production misses.

I would also like clarification on “by spring 2022”. It’s vague but “by” to me means before and there is a big difference between March 20 and June 21.

In addition, they state that non LE starts in January. To me, this sounds like many non LE will be delivered before LE. Given their history of missing their dates by huge margins, I have to think this is wrong.

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
Not sure why you think my request for some updates translates to a demand for *everything* happening at the factory.

The fact is that they are, at best, only meeting the narrowest and most technical interpretations of publicly announced deadlines. And that they in all likelihood won’t meet the timetables they’ve committed to. I do not expect any non-LE deliveries in January, for example. But that’s still on their site.

A general update on where things stand given all of the indications things are getting further delayed would go a long way.

Chris S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Model 3 Perf, '19 MX-5 Club, '22 Model Y Perf
Occupation
REALTOR
Some of y'all need to chill! I'm eagerly awaiting mine, but it's a truck, not a necessity of life!

I'd like to see more frequent updates by Rivian as well, but they've already out-communicated every other mfg. I've bought or reserved a vehicle from, including Tesla. I have a Day 1 Bronco reservation, and Ford just fucked over its reservation holders who didn't get their orders fulfilled w/ '21 models by abandoning the reservation queue to go back to traditional dealer allocations.

Rivian is far from perfect, but I believe their heart is in the right place. They’re taking on a lot of really hard tasks all at once, it can't be easy. I don't believe anyone has ever previously launched an auto manufacturer w/ this level of scale and complexity before. I'm sure we'll all be thrilled once we get our trucks!

Kmann1994

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Head of Product
They stated deliveries starting in September. It’s October 13, with no public deliveries. I’d like to hear when they expect deliveries to start and their production goals.
Literally what are you talking about? Production has already started and deliveries are ongoing.

source: https://instagram.com/ambosrivians?utm_medium=copy_link

And before you say anything, employee deliveries count regardless of what you forum weirdos think when you move the goal posts every time.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Literally what are you talking about? Production has already started and deliveries are ongoing.

source: https://instagram.com/ambosrivians?utm_medium=copy_link

And before you say anything, employee deliveries count regardless of what you forum weirdos think when you move the goal posts every time.
I think it’s weird you don’t think that deliveries should be to the public. So there, we have both established our opinions of each other’s positions. Mission accomplished?

Seriously though, when you’re sending emails to the public and doing press about deliveries starting, no one is thinking that your CFO is getting a truck, they are thinking the public. It’s intentionally misleading at best…

Imagine this: a restaurant up the street has a sign saying grand opening on Monday, you show up, but it’s only for staff. Not that different.
Sponsored