Sponsored

Investor Business Daily Article (20k deliveries in 2021?)

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Will they hit 25k? Probably not, but it should not be assumed that a company that is pushing for an IPO will not be cranking that dial to 11 and getting trucks in hands en masse.
Exactly.. If they could demonstrate >5k deliveries before IPO that would be huge. Not sure if that is possible or not. I'd worry about the logistical issues with service/transportation more than production.
Sponsored

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
@Zoidz and other MFG people can chime in, but auto mfg lines and pretty much any assembly line type plant really do only shut down for tooling changes, other scheduled maintenance, or, indeed, unforeseen component shortages, which are currently really, really messing with things in every kind of manufacturing. Nevermind chips, it’s hard to even get steel right now.

“but some close for summer holidays!” You might say? Yeah. That’s when the maintenance is done and everyone “gets to” book their vacation or have it scheduled for them.

this is not conjecture, it is how manufacturing works.
It's how SOME manufacturing works. But it's far from universal. Many plants shut down for at least 1 day per week in order to do the maintenance and tooling changes. Hence why I assumed 6 days in my math earlier.

Either way. You guys are gonna believe what you want to believe. Let's reconvene at the end of the year and see if we can agree on whether they made 25K vehicles by then.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
It's how SOME manufacturing works. But it's far from universal. Many plants shut down for at least 1 day per week in order to do the maintenance and tooling changes. Hence why I assumed 6 days in my math earlier.
it’s not how auto manufacturing works, good job moving the goalposts though.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
it’s not how auto manufacturing works, good job moving the goalposts though.
My goodness. 2 seconds of research would have saved you here. And yes, I'm still talking about auto manufacturing.

From the biggest manufacturing plant in the US:
"We run around the clock. Basically a 24 hour operation. We start on Sunday night and finish up on Saturday morning," said Shawn Williams, Plant Manager of Car Production.
From the biggest plant in Europe:
Every hour, 24 hours a day, six days a week, finished cars are loaded
And now GM
The Arlington plant, which employs 2,500 people and is GM’s only full-size SUV factory, also plans to work Saturday overtime Feb. 4 and Feb. 18.

“We’re normally a Monday through Thursday plant” with two 10-hour shifts

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My goodness. 2 seconds of research would have saved you here. And yes, I'm still talking about auto manufacturing.

From the biggest manufacturing plant in the US:

From the biggest plant in Europe:

And now GM
Sorry, my manufacturing knowledge is only first hand, i should’ve googled instead.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Sorry, my manufacturing knowledge is only first hand, i should’ve googled instead.
Same. Didn't know you worked in every plant in the world to know their hours and days worked.

Facts are tough.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Same. Didn't know you worked in every plant in the world to know their hours and days worked.

Facts are tough.
I’m actually Microsoft Excel, so yes, I’ve been everywhere. Mostly places where I have no business being used

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
the Max Pack (non-LE) will NOT have the [included] retractable bed tonneau (as it is a launch edition item?)...
What?? That contradicts what is on their website.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
I’m actually Microsoft Excel, so yes, I’ve been everywhere. Mostly places where I have no business being used
Kinda like duct tape?

What?? That contradicts what is on their website.
...and in the configurator...

It does make me wonder, for the Max pack... is the plan that the batteries will indeed be down in the skateboard, or are they trying to shove the batteries elsewhere (like under the rear seats)?

I'd assume for safety reasons, they would want the batteries within that "safety cage" that is the frame and not like... jutting out into the passenger compartment or hanging out over the gear tunnel...

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Lol. I know that feeling. I started my career as a strategy consultant and worked in just about every industry I shouldn’t be allowed to offer advice.

My Dad worked in the tool and die shop at a GM plant for many years, but things can change. Sorry it/I got a bit heated.

Last edited:

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Sorry it/I got a bit heated.
Likewise!

None of us know for sure how they are running their plant, their shifts, or what their output will be... at the end of the day, I just hope to get mine "soon" and that it's as kick ass as the reviewers are letting on.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lol. I know that feeling. I started my career as a strategy consultant and worked in just about every industry I shouldn’t be allowed to offer advice.

My Dad worked in the tool and die shop at a GM plant for many years, but things can change. Sorry it/I got a bit heated.
Likewise!

None of us know for sure how they are running their plant, their shifts, or what their output will be... at the end of the day, I just hope to get mine "soon" and that it's as kick ass as the reviewers are letting on.
The internet is for arguing on ?
Sponsored