Sponsored

Warranty coverage - battery, compressor, seats, center console, armrest, etc...?

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

I searched for warranty-related posts, but could not find my questions which are kind of esoteric, but here are some:

Obviously the big thing is the battery warranty, but what else is covered under the warranty and how long is it?
other potential things that would make life annoying:
what if the compressor goes out in a year? Is that covered?
What if the leather stitching comes out in one of the seats or something goes wrong with one of the seats? Is that covered?
The center console armrest seemed to be electric on one of the auto journalist videos. I think that’s electric for no good reason, and what if it breaks?
And a thousand other little things in a new vehicle.
I am super excited about my eventual R1S, but hope Rivian is even better than Tesla with early adopters. I got my model S in early Feb 2014 and while I havent had any major problems even after almost 8 years, there were a few little ones that Tesla Service billed as ”Goodwill”. Hope Rivian does the same.
Sponsored

mtw777

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf R
The center console armrest seemed to be electric on one of the auto journalist videos. I think that’s electric for no good reason, and what if it breaks?
I remember seeing this too. Between this, the motorized HVAC vent adjustments, exterior “folding” door handles, etc. This stuff is completely unnecessary, offers solutions to problems nobody had, and will undoubtedly cost some owners a lot of money to fix things that should’ve never been motorized in the first place.

I love the R1T but (for me anyway) it’s a very expensive vehicle and I’d want to keep it a long time to justify the expense. But I’d be lying if all of these “gadgets” didn’t make me very nervous about the long-term reliability prospects.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
FYI for folks in cold climates, the following voids your warranty if damage occurs because of it:
"Storing the vehicle at temperatures below -31°F without being plugged into a charger."

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
FYI for folks in cold climates, the following voids your warranty if damage occurs because of it:
"Storing the vehicle at temperatures below -31°F without being plugged into a charger."
I wonder what constitutes "storing" will it have to be actively driven or plugged in constantly at these temps? It's a distinct possibility that northern owners could be ice fishing, cross country skiing, winter adventuring, or just at work with no place to plug in for a day in these temperatures.
I guess ironically global warming may solve this problem for us, and maybe before Rivian gets vehicles out in large numbers... just trying to look on the bright side!

OP
OP
Cactus

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

I remember seeing this too. Between this, the motorized HVAC vent adjustments, exterior “folding” door handles, etc. This stuff is completely unnecessary, offers solutions to problems nobody had, and will undoubtedly cost some owners a lot of money to fix things that should’ve never been motorized in the first place.

I love the R1T but (for me anyway) it’s a very expensive vehicle and I’d want to keep it a long time to justify the expense. But I’d be lying if all of these “gadgets” didn’t make me very nervous about the long-term reliability prospects.
Does anyone know if you HAVE to use the screen to change direction of the AC vents? Or can you change their direction by hand which would be much faster and easier. I agree about solutions to problems no one has. LOL.
Not if they break, but when they break, it will expensive to fix. The cost isn't as big a deal as the hassle of taking the time to have the vehicle problem repaired.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Does anyone know if you HAVE to use the screen to change direction of the AC vents? Or can you change their direction by hand which would be much faster and easier.
UI only... I mean, you can do it by hand... and then strip out the cute little motors/gears that mange those louvers...

I'm not a fan of this either (pun intended), as it seems a bit... over the top... and something that will eventually have an issue.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I wonder what constitutes "storing" will it have to be actively driven or plugged in constantly at these temps? It's a distinct possibility that northern owners could be ice fishing, cross country skiing, winter adventuring, or just at work with no place to plug in for a day in these temperatures.
I guess ironically global warming may solve this problem for us, and maybe before Rivian gets vehicles out in large numbers... just trying to look on the bright side!
Probably long term storage. Short term day events like that should still have enough latent heat from being driven to maintain above that temperature. Longer term stuff will probably use battery energy to keep the battery at a certain temperature, but actual long term storage will eat through the battery and end up being cold soaked. I'd say anyone in the 48 states probably doesn't need to worry about it.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Probably long term storage. Short term day events like that should still have enough latent heat from being driven to maintain above that temperature. Longer term stuff will probably use battery energy to keep the battery at a certain temperature, but actual long term storage will eat through the battery and end up being cold soaked. I'd say anyone in the 48 states probably doesn't need to worry about it.
Agreed.

Your battery will try and keep itself at a somewhat "optimal" temp, this is why if you park an EV and leave it unplugged for too long, you are coming back to a brick (well, one of a few reasons, but a big one).

I think that is their fear and why they make it clear "unplugged" for the long term storage thing. I would generally advise anyone that won't be driving their EV for a week or more to make sure you have it plugged in, just in general.

Sponsored

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
UI only... I mean, you can do it by hand... and then strip out the cute little motors/gears that mange those louvers...

I'm not a fan of this either (pun intended), as it seems a bit... over the top... and something that will eventually have an issue.
Also don’t like this concept but I was wondering if they intend to do some things in software to offer something new, like fan oscillation, which wouldn’t be possible without motorized vent louvers. (For the record, I have never felt the need for oscillation in a car but maybe it’s nice???)

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

I agree this is a feature that is clever just for the sake of being clever. Perhaps the only value I see is IF (and this hasn't been confirmed) the positions and on/off status are stored in your user profile and automatically change when switching drivers... But even then it's a pretty small benefit.

Personally, I adjust my vents almost never. I set them where I like them and they STAY. I actually get a little annoyed when a passenger starts playing with them. It's fine to want to turn them on/off, but leave their position alone, imo.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Not worried, because portable charger plugged into a block heater outlet should count. My worst case scenario is parking at the airport for a week in February or something. ?

same as any other battery, if it freezes…. SOL.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Also don’t like this concept but I was wondering if they intend to do some things in software to offer something new, like fan oscillation, which wouldn’t be possible without motorized vent louvers. (For the record, I have never felt the need for oscillation in a car but maybe it’s nice???)
Now I want the vents to oscillate like on a mini split…thanks :(

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

I agree this is a feature that is clever just for the sake of being clever. Perhaps the only value I see is IF (and this hasn't been confirmed) the positions and on/off status are stored in your user profile and automatically change when switching drivers... But even then it's a pretty small benefit.

Personally, I adjust my vents almost never. I set them where I like them and they STAY. I actually get a little annoyed when a passenger starts playing with them. It's fine to want to turn them on/off, but leave their position alone, imo.
You will probably like the electric vents then. If you never adjust them it is a good system. I would assume it is stored in your profile and returns to that setting for you.

I actually adjust my vents fairly often, but that might be because my wife hates wind on her face, and I run hot, so love the air on my face. Maybe it will end up being not a big deal
Sponsored