First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Watching the Jalopnik video, and I started to wonder. Does anyone know *why* Rivian and Tesla have gone to the electric vents? From the video it looks like they would be accessible enough to have the manual adjustments we're all used to. That'd save money. What's the point?

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Watching the Jalopnik video, and I started to wonder. Does anyone know *why* Rivian and Tesla have gone to the electric vents? From the video it looks like they would be accessible enough to have the manual adjustments we're all used to. That'd save money. What's the point?
Having them where you left them if someone else drives the car in-between.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
That's been I think two questionable statements from Brian from the reviews. And watching the Elektrek interview he seemed out of sorts compared to previous times I've seen him talk. I suspect he's just stressed and has seen so many iterations of the Truck that his brain isn't clicking quite right, right now.

edit: The video does show a drain. that's interesting.
So, you're saying he looks "drained"?

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Having them where you left them if someone else drives the car in-between.
I guess. Personally I very rarely mess with the vents, so seems like a lot of cost for little return to me.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Here’s another video review:

The drain and plug in the frunk is mentioned in this video as well. Great!

Personal preference, but I enjoyed the hell of out this video too. She's obviously not massively in the know on any of this, but very entertaining. Appreciate the diversity too.

Last edited:

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

I agree with you. Seems like extra cost / complexity, reduced usability, for very very little benefit.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
That's the first video I've seen of the truck actually lowering itself. Looks to do it in stages, front, then rear. Still, pretty awesome! Also one of the best videos I've seen showing off main touchscreen functions.

Sponsored

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
That's the first video I've seen of the truck actually lowering itself. Looks to do it in stages, front, then rear. Still, pretty awesome! Also one of the best videos I've seen showing off main touchscreen functions.
This is consistent with how most other OEM air suspensions with multiple ride heights function. Front of rear will lower to the next level, then the other end will do the same. My GC Trailhawk behaved just like this.

cwinters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S LE
Here’s another video review:

She had great shots of the El Cap paint with the Green interior. That El Cap is sparkly for sure. Saw a Ford with very similar paint today. Now I want close ups of the others... Is the forest Green exterior that sparkly?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Elektrek podcast with a lot more discussion of their experience. @kanundrum

also, seth said he saw a video from Rivian showing 220kw @ 10%. He saw (as noted somewhere else) 145 @50%..

So anchoring with these two data points lands us at about 37 minutes 10 to 80%, and 33 minutes for 20 to 80% assuming linearly decreasing charge curve. That curve would result in 141 miles in 20 minutes as well. And 200 miles in about 33 minutes starting at 10%, which is in line with what Brian told Seth in Elektrek's video as well.

Looks like we have an approximate curve.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Elektrek podcast with a lot more discussion of their experience. @kanundrum

also, seth said he saw a video from Rivian showing 220kw @ 10%. He saw (as noted somewhere else) 145 @50%.
Wow awesome. Will update this evening!
Sponsored