First Name
Demi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo, Disco4, BMWi3, Tesla S
Occupation
Business
Help! I'm relocating to Europe! Is there any way I'm going to be able to take my Rivian with me? Delivery scheduled for January!!!
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Help! I'm relocating to Europe! Is there any way I'm going to be able to take my Rivian with me? Delivery scheduled for January!!!
Yes, apply money.

Jay

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent
I think you can. But its going to cost you a lot for shipping and import tax. Where in europe also makes a case as it could be right side driving. Worst case, sell it after taking delivery and be the first to put ressrvation when they open EU market.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
If you actually have your Rivian before you move (very doubtful you actually have a Jan 2022 delivery), you could choose to ship it if local laws would allow it to be imported. However, you would have absolutely no maintenance support for at least several years. And a US market vehicle would probably have no access to any "connected vehicle" features that operate over cellular.

Not the answer you're going to want to hear but I would highly recommend deferring the purchase of a Rivian until they start selling them in Europe.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Don't forget that the EU uses type 2 EVSE connectors, so you'll also need an adapter.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
If the vehicle is paid for, there should be nothing preventing you from taking it.
If there is a loan, insurance and other requirements may throw some roadblocks.
You may not be able to register and drive it without demonstrating it passes applicable European safety standards.
You need to be prepared to ship it back to the US to get any warranty issues taken care of (or possibly any crash damage as well).

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
If you actually have your Rivian before you move (very doubtful you actually have a Jan 2022 delivery), you could choose to ship it if local laws would allow it to be imported. However, you would have absolutely no maintenance support for at least several years. And a US market vehicle would probably have no access to any "connected vehicle" features that operate over cellular.

Not the answer you're going to want to hear but I would highly recommend deferring the purchase of a Rivian until they start selling them in Europe.
The connection issue could be mitigated by running a local wifi hot spot and connecting the vehicle wifi to it. The internet connection is not dependent on the local 4G connection.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I think you can. But its going to cost you a lot for shipping and import tax. Where in europe also makes a case as it could be right side driving. Worst case, sell it after taking delivery and be the first to put ressrvation when they open EU market.
Even roro is expensive now.
import tax should not be an issue as these sorts of things are considered personal effects.

the only place in Europe that drives on the left aint in Europe anymore.

if your employer is paying relocation costs, go for it. I wouldn’t want to drive a vehicle the size of a Rivian on most European roads. Not to mention parking.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The connection issue could be mitigated by running a local wifi hot spot and connecting the vehicle wifi to it. The internet connection is not dependent on the local 4G connection.
Yes, connection can be established. Probably means maps can be accessed but doesn't mean Rivian will have charging station info populated in their Nav or support all Driver+ capabilities.

Most important though is the complete lack of service and parts for a new vehicle that barely has Rivian support much less the ability to be serviced by an independent provider. Does anyone really want to be waiting for weeks/months for parts to ship from the US?

thedole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Occupation
Brewmeister
Not sure I would want to be driving a vehicle the size of a Rivian in Europe generally. I'll buy it off you!

Do you have a firm delivery date?

Sponsored

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
The only certainty is that your expectation of delivery is January. That aside, I'm sure you'll be able to find someone there who will pay 100% markup to buy the Rivian. Our friends relocated to Europe (nearly 2 decades ago) and shipped 2 Jeeps over with them. They sold one almost immediately and the sale price covered the cost of both Jeeps.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
You will likely have very real problems with charging a US-market EV in Europe. The connectors for public chargers are different and the "portable charger" that comes with the car won't work on a European outlet. I think there are ways around this, but it's a major hassle.

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
If you are hellbent on it, here's a charging adapter that will work with Level 2 home charging and Level 3 DCFC by adapting CCS1 to CCS2. The cable isn't cheap. : https://evchargeplus.com/shop/ccs-combo-1-to-ccs-combo-2-fast-charge-adapter/

That said, I had a friend relocate to Geneva from Seattle, and they basically brought their subaru forester completely over without any modifications (Complete with their Seahawks stickers).

I may want to relo to Zurich at some point since my company has a large presence in Zurich and they encourage internal transfers.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Yes I know people who have had a vehicle shipped over. There is lots of hoops to go through. Highly likely with a nearly new truck you wouldn't get away with saying it is personal property so you'll have to potential deal with VAT (Tax). If you happen to be going in some consular/diplomatic fashion that could make things a lot easier. Good luck.
Sponsored