Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

My $.02 - I don't think they're using actual customers' vehicles for the event. It sounds like they are production trucks, which is great, and these will be used for the events as they travel around the country. Maybe they sell them when it's all said and done as used vehicles, but I don't think they are borrowing delivered customers' trucks to be beat up at the events.
My thought exactly. They should use production trucks for test drives/demo events. Unless they specifically said it was a customer vehicle I would be very surprised. I mean how would you feel if you got VIN 12 and came and read this forum... I'd be frustrated if they used my truck as a demo.

I imagine a decent percentage of early trucks will be dedicated for these demo activities. I guess in time they can then use them for loaners for service etc at the different service locations.
Sponsored

STLBlues76

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, Mazda CX-9
Occupation
Attorney
For anyone that was able to attend the First Drive events, wonder if you brought or saw others bring kids? I have a time slot for this Saturday and wondering if it'd be enjoyable for my 6-year old to tag along for the drive. The sign-up lets you register kids but curious on any perspectives on those who attended.
I brought my 12 year old daughter, she had fun. For younger ones, lots of room to run around and they had a little play area for kids. I did see a lot of little ones running around, too. Word to the wise, if your kid is 12 and under, you MUST use a car seat/booster for the test drive. My daughter is 5’5” and 110 lbs and she had to cram herself into the booster, which made for a very uncomfortable test drive (for her).

STLBlues76

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, Mazda CX-9
Occupation
Attorney
So minimal buffeting with the window down? Just the driver's window, or any others down? I often drive with my windows down, but many newer cars have so much wind buffeting, I can't.
All other windows were down at least 2 inches (they are doing that for COVID protocol), but mine was the only one all the way down.

kommonplace

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinjwangler.com
Vehicles
2014 Ford Flex, non-LE R1S preorder
Occupation
IT Director
So minimal buffeting with the window down? Just the driver's window, or any others down? I often drive with my windows down, but many newer cars have so much wind buffeting, I can't.
Right?! I can't even crack my window at 35mph and carry on a conversation. Windows down at 90mph is just unfathomable. All I can imagine is my eardrums bursting from the wind buffeting.

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

Did anyone at the event ask/find out about Alexa integration? I haven't heard much about it recently. Is this going to be an OTA update?

Sponsored

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
ok so Alexa is in the truck but its set up as an app so if you don't want it it can be completely turned off. This came straight from RJ "great guy" and I'm sure will make a lot of people happy to hear. some of the trucks had it off some had it on.
^^From the Alexa thread

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Well, it's actually Snow Peak written in Japanese (see #313). Snow Peak is a Japanese company, and while Japanese characters (kanji) were borrowed from China, that was 1500 years ago, and many characters are written differently in Chinese and Japanese today.

Chilimac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi eTron
Occupation
Retired
Couple tidbits from today.
They are preproduction trucks.
Only two driving modes utilized in test drive. Rock crawl is amazing but going down the hill is even better.
Frunk is enormous. But limited tie downs.
No R1S on site. Not every color of vehicle is there either.
Next stops for First Mile events are Sonoma and LA.
Employees were extremely nice and helpful. We got what we needed to finalize our choices.

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Next stops for First Mile events are Sonoma and LA.
I think this is the first word we've had on the location for the San Francisco event. Sonoma makes sense and gives me more hope for an off-road course!

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
I think this is the first word we've had on the location for the San Francisco event. Sonoma makes sense and gives me more hope for an off-road course!
Has Sonoma been officially confirmed as the location? I have a weekend place there, so maybe I should update my address!

Sponsored

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Has Sonoma been officially confirmed as the location? I have a weekend place there, so maybe I should update my address!
Definitely not confirmed. It's been radio silence on the First Mile Events for SF Bay preorders since the first announcement email. Just going off of what @Chilimac said above.

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
Definitely not confirmed. It's been radio silence on the First Mile Events for SF Bay preorders since the first announcement email. Just going off of what @Chilimac said above.
I should've known, but hope got the best of me! Radio silence is the (overwhelming) default mode for their comms team.

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I should've known, but hope got the best of me! Radio silence is the (overwhelming) default mode for their comms team.
I wonder if they'll start running events concurrently, or if it will truly be a touring event with the trucks going to SF first and then LA.

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
Dumb question, but how does it smell? Does vegan leather have a leathery smell? Or is it just the new plastics/glues that give the cabin an aroma, or is that long gone by sweaty neckbeard forum types
Sponsored