Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

Rad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 and 2004 MDX, 2016 Jeep JK
Awesome.! Boulder is on the list :)

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Adding the following for search-ability and ease of reference ...

MIAMI | APRIL
Florida holds a special place in our heart. It's where we got our start in a small warehouse over ten years ago. This year, we're heading back to the state where it all began.

NEW YORK CITY | MAY
From the Catskills to the Rockaways, NYC sits on the doorstep of adventure. We’re coming to explore the city, inside and out.

LOS ANGELES | MAY
Surrounded by the mountains, coast and some of the finest national parks in the country, LA is a perfect basecamp for an adventurous escape.

BOULDER | JUNE
Boulder locals live and breath the Rivian lifestyle. We're looking forward to learning about your passions and pursuits — and how our vehicles can help inspire your next adventures.

CHICAGO | JULY
Two hours north of our factory in Normal, IL, the Windy City is central to the endless adventures of the Midwest. We're bringing the vehicles and team to learn more about your explorations.

DETROIT | AUGUST
Home to many members of our team here at Rivian, we deeply love the people and wild places of Michigan. Looking forward to hosting you here in our backyard!

EXACT DATES AND LOCATIONS COMING SOON
Don't see your city? Don't worry — we'll be announcing even more locations throughout the year.

Culebra1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX400h, Ford Explorer
Adding a number of cities for events through Spring & Summer.

https://stories.rivian.com/events
If Rivian is still planning to begin deliveries in the last quarter of 2020 why are they still doing shows as late as August? When are those with deposits going to get real news about the release date and begin configuring our vehicles?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
If Rivian is still planning to begin deliveries in the last quarter of 2020 why are they still doing shows as late as August? When are those with deposits going to get real news about the release date and begin configuring our vehicles?
Given that they are choosing the configurations that will be produced first, they don't need our configuration selections until the 4th quarter.

Given their lack of traditional dealerships, I expect these events will go on we'll beyond initial vehicle deliveries in order to continue to drive future sales.

Also keep in mind they have roughly 1600+ other employees besides the ones doing the public events, the events aren't holding up production by any means.

Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ditto on @electruck 's post. In addition, FWIW, Rivian has said production of the R1T will start in Dec 2020 with the R1S to follow a few months latter. The online configurator is targeted for summer 2020. So if I had to guess, in addition to further promote their EVs at these events, they are probably very much in the mode of still getting feedback from reservation holders and general public on their wants, likes/dislikes, etc. "Good" innovation requires a frequent feedback loop.

UP Finn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1992 HMMWV, 2018 4Runner ORP, 2020 Model Y Perf
I'm planning on going to Chicago. Or Detroit. Depending on the dates. I'm still deciding between the R1T and R1S. I really wish I could get some AIS time before plunking down a pile of money.

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
Hoping to make the Boulder event depending on what day in June. Really looking forward to seeing the vehicles in person.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Ditto on @electruck 's post. In addition, FWIW, Rivian has said production of the R1T will start in Dec 2020 with the R1S to follow a few months latter. The online configurator is targeted for summer 2020. So if I had to guess, in addition to further promote their EVs at these events, they are probably very much in the mode of still getting feedback from reservation holders and general public on their wants, likes/dislikes, etc. "Good" innovation requires a frequent feedback loop.
I think they're also doing it for pre-order retention. Sounds like the trucks don't disappoint one bit when you actually get to see them up close. Also, lots of free press from the YouTubers. I plan on embarrassing the internet with all my stupid questions if they actually do an event in Chicago proper.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think they're also doing it for pre-order retention. Sounds like the trucks don't disappoint one bit when you actually get to see them up close. Also, lots of free press from the YouTubers. ...
Good point on retaining pre-order holders, though I would think this would be more for those who have not seen the EAVs in person yet, which could be a significant amount. Definitely worth while to attend if that's the case, however, for pre-order holders that have seen them, there seems much less to gain, especially if travelling long distance, to attend these "public" (vs. pre-order holder invite only) events unless Rivian, say, starts letting people sit in them. Certainly a test drive would be even better but we know that's not going to happen any time soon as Rivian said test drives won't be available until just before launch. And getting questions answered by Rivian reps has shown (via forum posts) that it depends on who you ask. And the more reps you ask the answers tend to be they can't tell you, they don't know to sometimes a guess on their part. Hardly instills confidence when people are trying to make decisions on their next EV purchase. But for now that's all we have until the online configurator becomes available later this year.

These events do attract some press from youtubers and other online content creators which is always interesting to watch/read on how it was received. However, I wouldn't necessarily call it free press as these events come with a significant cost, according to RJ, to host or attend (e.g. auto shows, CES, etc). None the less, IMO still money well spent considering they really don't advertise though one could call these advertising events. ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Certainly a test drive would be even better but we know that's not going to happen any time soon as Rivian said test drives won't be available until just before launch.
I was told that Rivian will disperse a fleet of 60 vehicles for test drives around the country "late summer".

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was told that Rivian will disperse a fleet of 60 vehicles for test drives around the country "late summer".
First I'm hearing/reading that. Were you told this at the FCL event last month? Latest I've read was from a Rivian Twitter post months ago which made its way their website FAQ section:

Do you offer test drives?
Not yet, but we can’t wait to get you behind the wheel. We’ll be offering test drives closer to our launch at the end of 2020.

I guess technically we are getting closer to launch. :) Perhaps Rivian is finalizing (?) their Test Drive Tour rumored as far back as last spring - see forum thread Rivian setting stage for introduction of a test drive program

Like with a lot things with Rivian we just need some details - where, when, etc. - but it's that stealth approach that prevails. :bandit:

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Were you told this at the FCL event last month?
Yes. The number is what caught my attention, and I wonder if we're going to see more colors & options (removable roof) soon? They could cover a lot of ground with pairs of 2 vehicles, but I hope they keep at least 4 together that showcase a wider variety of options or packages.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I would really like to see a private event in Metro Detroit before August where reservation holders can at least sit in the vehicles (a test drive would be great) and perhaps get more concrete information about them. I really want to see the truck I have had a deposit on for over a year, but Detroit is 8 hrs round trip for me, and I have no interest in flying to the west coast/east cost/gulf coast for a 30 minute look at the truck - especially a public event where I can't even sit in the drivers seat.

Rivian really needs to do something to keep us long term reservation holders interested - the EV landscape is changing fast, new options are popping up with regularity. Even a beta version configurator would satisfy me for a few months... Please give us something!

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Seat time and test drives aren't likely until they have pre-production vehicles coming off the assembly line.
Sponsored