Sponsored

Athena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
It seems pretty obvious from many of these comments that many/most of you have not driven in the Southwest. Where we live we can barely get cell reception, and we live outside a major city! You can be in Albuquerque or Santa Fe and walk 2ft while on a call and lose the connection. Relying on a cell tower and my phone to listen to music is next to impossible. And don't get me started on the mountains of northern New Mexico, Colorado along with buttes in southern Utah to name a few. Trips I want to make in my R1T and know the difficulty of getting reception on my phone. So even using an app as many have suggested would not work. And because of lack of towers and tower distances phones overheat quickly.

Sirius Radio has the parts available free of charge to manufacturers to make the sound system compatible. It's to their benefit to have it available in vehicles. It would just be up to us to activate it. Parts needed are given to the manufacturer free of charge as long as they make the request.
Thanks for the intel. I think it will be a messy addition though no? Wires etc all over?
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Do you have this unit? Are there messy wires?
Not recently. I had an XM head unit like this probably 15 years ago no, but I don't use it any longer.

Sponsored

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Sirius aftermarket kits are readily available for those that want the service
Not one that isn't an incredibly clunky solution. It would require an extra screen/input method be installed as well. It's inelegant and clutters an otherwise sharp-looking dashboard.

And it's ridiculous to make a vehicle intended to go far from civilization and not include a method for getting satellite radio.

Forcing customers to do some stupid and clunky work-around is a huge mistake.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
And it's ridiculous to make a vehicle intended to go far from civilization and not include a method for getting satellite radio.
Satellite radio's days are numbered. The overhead involved in building, deploying, and operating the satellite constellation is great. They have an operational lifetime of only about 15 years... Replacing the fleet likely does not make sense, and SiriusXM is already starting to push it's streaming alternatives. As wireless internet capabilities get better and better, the business case for "satellite" radio continues to diminish.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Satellite radio's days are numbered.
Possibly, but the data points to a significant user base. Number of subscribers has shown consistent growth over the last decade. It's only recently leveled off due to the work-from-home Covid impact, and most people spending significantly less time sitting in traffic during their commutes.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Customer Service: SiriusXM Radio will not be native part of the entertainment system Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 12.37.30 PM

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Possibly, but the data points to a significant user base. Number of subscribers has shown consistent growth over the last decade. It's only recently leveled off due to the work-from-home Covid impact, and most people spending significantly less time sitting in traffic during their commutes.
AFAIK, they include trial users in their subscriber counts. Also, SiriusXM is infamous for aggressively pushing discounts (entire year subscription for under $60) and making it difficult to cancel service.

So SiriusXM gets $5 a month and has to maintain a fleet of satellites, while Spotify gets twice the fee and no satellite overhead.

Even with a large number of subscribers, the business model WILL be changing.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
AFAIK, they include trial users in their subscriber counts. Also, SiriusXM is infamous for aggressively pushing discounts (entire year subscription for under $60) and making it difficult to cancel service.

So SiriusXM gets $5 a month and has to maintain a fleet of satellites, while Spotify gets twice the fee and no satellite overhead.

Even with a large number of subscribers, the business model WILL be changing.
Those numbers likely include me at least twice for vehicles that I never even enabled the free trial on. I keep getting letters from them asking me to "renew" (even get them for a vehicle I no longer own).

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Those numbers likely include me at least twice for vehicles that I never even enabled the free trial on. I keep getting letters from them asking me to "renew" (even get them for a vehicle I no longer own).
Unlikely. It's active subscribers, and they're a publicly traded company. Pretty sure they're not playing the games you think they are. Their marketing tactics may be unpleasant, but I doubt they're lying on their SEC filings.

But as my old boss used to say: "Never let facts and data get in the way of good story"

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Unlikely. It's active subscribers, and they're a publicly traded company. Pretty sure they're not playing the games you think they are. Their marketing tactics may be unpleasant, but I doubt they're lying on their SEC filings.

But as my old boss used to say: "Never let facts and data get in the way of good story"
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Customer Service: SiriusXM Radio will not be native part of the entertainment system 1632252427935

Every new vehicle delivered with Sirius hardware creates a "subscriber".
https://siriusxmdealer.com/everything-you-need-to-know/

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
1632252427935.png

Every new vehicle delivered with Sirius hardware creates a "subscriber".
https://siriusxmdealer.com/everything-you-need-to-know/
My god. You don't quit. I understand that new cars come with subscription trials. But they don't remain a subscriber after the trial expires, unless they choose to pay and renew. Hence the term "expires".

The data clearly shows an expanding, paid, subscription base.

If you don't want to believe real facts and data, and would rather extrapolate that since you got a marketing notice asking you to renew that apparently millions of fraudulent accounts are being reported in their audited financials to the SEC and shareholders, and that the corporation, their auditors, and the government are all colluding on one big conspiracy to trick you, that's on you.

PS. If you read their 10-K they explicitly talk about trial conversions, and how they impact their number of subscribers. Hint, no conversion equals no subscription.

I'm done with this.

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
My god. You don't quit. I understand that new cars come with subscription trials. But they don't remain a subscriber after the trial expires, unless they choose to pay and renew. Hence the term "expires".
It says the demos automatically convert to a consumer account. If you don't pay, you might still be considered an "active subscriber" with an overdue renewal...
Sponsored