Sponsored

What $70K ICE car would you have gotten ?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Oh interesting. Didn't know about the 2-speed Corvair. That's interesting. Thinking about it, I probably could call my old subaru a 1 speed too with a CVT. :p
It's funny now, but I remember how cool it was when the next automatic transmission I picked up was a 3-speed. That was such a huge improvement (50%) over the 2-speed, yet now they come with 10 speeds, or more.
Sponsored

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

I know fully well what to expect from electric - both good and bad. This is why my Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel isn't going anywhere due to it's 600+ mile range and overall capability. ;)
Is it possible that you will get some satisfaction from your R1T that you do not have a tailpipe?

I have been driving ICEs for 55 yrs. and for most of that time I felt captive to the industries and people that promote and support them. I loved the speed, sounds and styling of ICEs over the years but it always nagged at me that the exhaust was going into the air I breath. A lot like peeing in your drinking water source.

One of the things I really like about Rivian is their commitment to the environment.

I know EVs are not the perfect solution to environmental issues and have their downsides but hopefully it is a shift in the right direction.

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Is it possible that you will get some satisfaction from your R1T that you do not have a tailpipe?

I have been driving ICEs for 55 yrs. and for most of that time I felt captive to the industries and people that promote and support them. I loved the speed, sounds and styling of ICEs over the years but it always nagged at me that the exhaust was going into the air I breath.

A lot like peeing in your drinking water source.

One of the things I really like about Rivian is their commitment to the environment.

I know EVs are not the perfect solution to environmental issues and have their downsides but hopefully it is a shift in the right direction.
EVTrucking,

Oh! You just had to go there, didn't you! This comment (edited by me to highlight it) reminded me of a conversation with astronaut Scott Kelly talking about drinking his own pee (mixed with everyone elses) while on the International Space Station. Then, a Canadian Astronaut put out this great clip:

It creeped me out, but when Kelly talked of how much fuel it takes to put just one liter of water into orbit, it makes perfect sense. Perfectly logical, but still gross. ?

By the way, I too love Rivian's dedication to the environment. It's one of the reasons I made my deposit on the first day I knew of the company. That said, I still love my ICE-machines. I'll be driving them less once the R1T arrives, but I still love them.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

EVTrucking,

Oh! You just had to go there, didn't you! This comment (edited by me to highlight it) reminded me of a conversation with astronaut Scott Kelly talking about drinking his own pee (mixed with everyone elses) while on the International Space Station. Then, a Canadian Astronaut put out this great clip:

It creeped me out, but when Kelly talked of how much fuel it takes to put just one liter of water into orbit, it makes perfect sense. Perfectly logical, but still gross. ?

By the way, I too love Rivian's dedication to the environment. It's one of the reasons I made my deposit on the first day I knew of the company. That said, I still love my ICE-machines. I'll be driving them less once the R1T arrives, but I still love them.
Great video. Thank you.

I don’t hate ICEs. Always wanted a powder blue 1967 396 Chevelle. But now that EVs with high end performance are available I will not purchase another ICE. I am willing to pay more for the EV and deal with range anxiety.

I have read the biggest bump to increasing life span was when we learned to not dump human waste into our drinking water (sanitation)….. seems like we haven’t learned that lesson for the air we breath.

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Great video. Thank you.

I don’t hate ICEs. Always wanted a powder blue 1967 396 Chevelle. But now that EVs with high end performance are available I will not purchase another ICE. I am willing to pay more for the EV and deal with range anxiety.

I have read the biggest bump to increasing life span was when we learned to not dump human waste into our drinking water (sanitation)….. seems like we haven’t learned that lesson for the air we breath.
I'm with you about embracing EV's while still lusting after, or at least fondly remembering the classic cars of my youth. Most of mine are Chevy's, or other GM brands. My Dad was a Chevy guy, so I'm a Chevy guy. A few GTO's inhabit that list, as do many German cars, chief amongst them Porsches. Those go all the way back to the 356, and all the way to the modern 918's and Taycan Turbo S models of EV's.

While all of those cars lurk in my memory, I'm more intrigued by the prospect of converting those oldies whose lack of power, but suitability for conversion to an EV is even more compelling than leaving them as is. My old Corvair is a perfect example. In its stock form, on its best day, it took a tailwind and a cliff to even get it to 60 MPH. Even a mild BEV conversion would be a huge improvement on that front. Having a one-of-a-kind ride seems like motivation enough, but making it clean is another. That our energy here in the Portland area is fairly carbon-free, makes an even more interesting case for dumping the dinosaurs; pitching the petrol, as it were.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

No ICE for me either. I'm solidly in line for the R1T. Backup would be a Ford Lightning. I really want a truck.

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
I would never get another ICE. I would keep my Model Y performance and keep my Cybertruck reservations, which I still am until Rivian proves it can be a sustainable business.

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

I was planning to trade in my 2018 Nissan Armada on my R1S. I need 3-rows with off-road chops (sand, mud, trail roads, and road trip snow 4WD, no rock crawling or winching). At the end of May I traded in the Armada for a Jeep wrangler plug-in 4xe for temporary fun while waiting on my R1S LE. Several reasons - $7500 EV rebate, to take advantage of a high trade-in offer on my Armada that had a few expensive issues about to pop, and expected pretty good trade-in value for the Jeep when the R1S arrives. My family is missing the 3rd row and the extra room but we've been having fun in the Jeep this summer. Our other vehicle is my wife's Model Y which we've been squeezing into for road trips. We definitely plan to use the R1S for trips from NE Florida to the Keys, NC Mountains, FL panhandle, etc. The R1S size looks like it will be perfect for my family's needs, a bit leaner than the larger SUV's I've had, but bigger than the mid-size offerings out there. To the OP's question about another $70k vehicle, I probably would have considered the Jeep Cherokee L, or maybe a Tahoe/Expedition, or another Armada, but everything I've seen tells me the R1S will be just right for me. After living in the future with the Tesla (you other Tesla owners know what I mean by that), I'm not excited about the idea of stepping back 10 years in technology to buy another long-term vehicle from a legacy automaker.

cmmurray77

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Ram 1500. 19 Jeep JLU Rubicon
This is my first post here. Definitely not a $70k vehicle, but I’ve been looking at getting a GLS 580 or a X7M50i. My main concern is room in the 3rd row and easy access to the 3rd row. I know it’s been discussed numerous times but if there were captains in the 2nd row this would be a no brained for me. I still think I go RS1 at this point. My wife drives a Sienna and we’ll most likely get her a Tahoe, Yukon, or Escalade, so that can be our primary vehicle is all 5 of us are going somewhere together.

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
I would not buy a $70k ICE vehicle. While my income would allow a more expensive vehicle, my practice has been to buy a 4-5 year old used vehicle and drive into the ground. Last two vehicles were 2005 CR-V and 2010 Pilot, $12k and $17k purchase prices. Both are still running strong, CR-V about 230k miles and Pilot 190k. A-B vehicles, get you there reliably but definitely not exciting.

I am buying the R1S because I believe those of us who can need to drive green vehicles, so since I have the means I am buying the first one that I came across that fits my needs in a vehicle. This vehicle excites me, I am looking forward to driving it until it dies.

Sponsored

UP Finn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1992 HMMWV, 2018 4Runner ORP, 2020 Model Y Perf
Ram TRX or a Ford Raptor. I've owned a Model Y performance for a year and I've learned a lot about EV's. Not sure I'll get another one.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

My next car purchase will be an off road capable EV with room for road trips probably in a SUV format. I only have a family of 3 and therefore don’t need the room of the R1S and honestly my off-roading needs are more Subaru level than Rivian level. However at the moment Rivian is the only thing on the market (or arriving soon on the market) that checks all the boxes.

I will likely only get a non EV if there is nothing on the market that fits my needs in an EV, and if I do it will likely be another Subaru. If I decided to splurge on an ICE it would likely be a Land Rover or something similar.

That said, while the R1S is currently winning mostly by the process of elimination I am genuinely excited about the car.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

Ram TRX or a Ford Raptor. I've owned a Model Y performance for a year and I've learned a lot about EV's. Not sure I'll get another one.
Just wondering if folks would feel the same way if ICE vehicles exhaust was colored (black,blue,orange ect.) or had a foul odor.

ICE exhaust is colorless and almost odorless so no one gives it a second thought.

I am thinking that not too many years from now you will not have any option but EV.

Last edited:

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Current plan is to sell my FJ and Commodore VF2 and replace those with the R1S. The backup plan was to keep the FJ and sell the Supra and Commodore and get the new Cadillac CT5 Blackwing with the manual transmission.

Currently going with the R1S because the rugrat is supposed to reach 6'-2"+ and the Cadillac backseat would likely leave an angry kid behind me in either the FJ or Cadillac.

Ventura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Red Canyon 20" / Prius
I have never purchased a 70K ICE vehicle and would never have done so (our last purchases have been a 4Runner and a Prius). I understand that many people do purchase vehicles in that price range regularly, but we will be doing so only to allow the purchase of an off-road capable EV truck. Of course I don't see myself ever purchasing an ICE vehicle/even hybrid again at any price, unless we need to purchase a vehicle for our child (though that maybe be where the Prius goes unless we do a used ICE for a while).
Sponsored