Sponsored

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Rivian said 10-15% hit in range with the 20 compared to 21.
Right I know, but we were talking about the area covers and improving range.

They offer them for the 21"s, why not the 20"s? I was saying I'd voluntarily add them to the 20"s to *get some of that 10-15% back*

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Right I know, but we were talking about the area covers and improving range.

They offer them for the 21"s, why not the 20"s? I was saying I'd voluntarily add them to the 20"s to *get some of that 10-15% back*
Got it. afaik, Rivian doesn't offer/mske them for 20 or 22. Maybe someone makes generic ones though i would think that doesn't work and it has to be custom for each wheel to give it improved aerodynamics.

Any entrepreneurs out there have a 3D printer? Might be a market for a bunch of different EVs needing one to improve aero.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
You’ll forgive my suspicion of a Torontonian, we learn it in school here.

I think Minnesota will be the closest and earliest place I’ll be able to see a Rivian.
Hah forgiven, been to Manitoba once and I can totally get how the boredom leads you to learn such things ?

Sponsored

obababoy

First Name
Chilbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 LR Discovery, 2011 WRX/STI, 2021 Palisade
Occupation
Cyber
Clubs

Ahh am I alone in saying the 21 and 22 inch wheels are awful for the R1T like this. It is a dumbed down version of the lifted F250 with low profile 24 inch mud terrain tires.
The range piece is an ok argument but this is such a capable vehicle. Don't ruin that by pinching your side walls and bending your wheels if you leave the road.
Also anything other than the 20" AT setup looks awful on the truck. But I guess opinions are like...

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Ahh am I alone in saying the 21 and 22 inch wheels are awful for the R1T like this. It is a dumbed down version of the lifted F250 with low profile 24 inch mud terrain tires.
The range piece is an ok argument but this is such a capable vehicle. Don't ruin that by pinching your side walls and bending your wheels if you leave the road.
Also anything other than the 20" AT setup looks awful on the truck. But I guess opinions are like...
Consider the R1S is aiming for Range Rover, look at its wheel options. Look at the wheel options on other current pickups. They’re all huge.
it makes sense.

that said, 20” AT for me.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
That’s not the same model. I posted the Verde version, which is their eco version designed for better efficiency.
I am not a tire expert, but also look for the EV rating, for Pirelli, at the very least look for Elec, as you may wear out the regular AS tires due to the weight of the Rivian, potentially paying as much as an Elec tire rated version. I have heard that changing tires more frequently is the most expensive maintenance Tesla owners have told me. Again pending your driving habits.

cwinters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S LE
Got it. afaik, Rivian doesn't offer/mske them for 20 or 22. Maybe someone makes generic ones though i would think that doesn't work and it has to be custom for each wheel to give it improved aerodynamics.

Any entrepreneurs out there have a 3D printer? Might be a market for a bunch of different EVs needing one to improve aero.
I think they used to have inserts on the 20s... Way back in time. And they were removable.

Sponsored

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, BMW 3GT
Occupation
Business owner
That's pretty cool to know you can take those covers off cause like most folks, I think they look hideous. Thanks for sharing this.

I'm hesitant though because of the fact that the 21' tires are "custom". Rivian will be the only vehicle in the world with this particular tire size, per CS. That might be a nightmare when comes time to replace both finding it and the cost.
Because of the 21" tires being custom, I think I will have to avoid them completely. Someday you might catch a nail, and definitely you will have to replace them at several times during ownership. Will they last 30,000 miles? So you need to buy 3 sets in the first 100,000 miles?

Frank Rast

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Mini Countryman, 2004 F-150
Occupation
Retired professional engineer
Now that we know the range information, I'm more strongly considering the 21" wheels despite the fact I don't love how they look. Club Rivian on Instagram caught a covered R1T that had the 21" wheels on it without the aero inserts so I asked customer service this morning if the inserts were designed to be easy to take on and off. This was their response: "Ok was able to find it pretty quick, looks like you'll be able to remove them without requiring any additional tools!"

Here is the picture from the Instagram post:

21%22 wheels removable aero inserts 2.jpg

21%22 wheels removable aero inserts 1.jpg

Posted by @Matty J

Here they are side by side...

IMG_3011.jpeg

Here are the 21's without aero cover (no center cap), with the 22's in the background...

img_3006-jpeg.jpg
Anything easily removeable is easily stolen

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Anything easily removeable is easily stolen
I don’t think people will be stealing these like hubcaps. They don’t fit on anything else.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
I don’t think people will be stealing these like hubcaps. They don’t fit on anything else.
Ha, that doesn't matter in the slightest. I worked with a guy who said before he got the mother of all ass whuppings when he got caught that he had a couple of shoeboxes of hood ornaments he'd "collected".

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ha, that doesn't matter in the slightest. I worked with a guy who said before he got the mother of all ass whuppings when he got caught that he had a couple of shoeboxes of hood ornaments he'd "collected".
Those are shiny things though. These are boring ABS or nylon or TPU or something.
Sponsored