First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Software Engineer
I hope this does not imply that we are exclusively stuck with SoC displayed in terms of range. Many find SoC as a percent much more informative, intuitive and easy to use.
I think the point of that quote was that even if the range was displayed as a %, there was no indicator saying how far until the next trail waypoint. whether your range is shown as a percentage or as a mileage, you still need to know how far you have left to go in order to tell if you can make it or not.
Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
The MT folks could have shown a bit more self awareness with their climate change and man destroying the environment lamenting while simultaneously testing and endorsing a back country rig about to be unleashed on humanity. I had not considered the contradictions of an off-road EV for hard core greenies but there it is…
That's why the first rule of overlanding is to do no harm. Any responsible overlander stays on approved trails, packs out anything they packed in, and generally does as much as possible to avoid disturbing nature any more than they have to.

I don't think it's reasonable for us, as humans, not to enjoy the natural world. The key is to do it responsibly. Some folks are not as responsible as they should be. The great thing about a Rivian is it removes one of the unavoidable irresponsibilities - pollution.

I don't understand what self-awareness you think they should have had, with this in mind. In every conceivable way it is better for the world to move to electric vehicles for those of us that enjoy being present in nature.

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
@kanundrum thanks for posting all the pictures, or at least most of them. I fell asleep right after posting the article so I forgot to make edits to my initial post haha

Daedalus

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Acura MDX - R1S Preorder
I really found this point regarding range to be interesting:

"Our range dropped to zero with at least 10 miles to go, prompting various dire warnings, but Rocky soldiered on and reached the charger."

While no guarantee, knowing that they went 10 miles past the zero (range) mark gives some idea of the rage buffer (sandbagging) that the Rivian has.
While they stated in the article that due of their driving habits they were burning through their charge quickly, I have to wonder what their average range was in between charges.

Last edited:

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I hope this does not imply that we are exclusively stuck with SoC displayed in terms of range. Many find SoC as a percent much more informative, intuitive and easy to use.
I read that section as:

Rivian hacked our trail GIS representation on the map for us. Thus the navigation system was not engaged, it only showed the current position of the vehicle ontop of background layers.

Hence the no distance to destination, since there was no real navigation going on.

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

That's why the first rule of overlanding is to do no harm. Any responsible overlander stays on approved trails, packs out anything they packed in, and generally does as much as possible to avoid disturbing nature any more than they have to.

I don't think it's reasonable for us, as humans, not to enjoy the natural world. The key is to do it responsibly. Some folks are not as responsible as they should be. The great thing about a Rivian is it removes one of the unavoidable irresponsibilities - pollution.

I don't understand what self-awareness you think they should have had, with this in mind. In every conceivable way it is better for the world to move to electric vehicles for those of us that enjoy being present in nature.
We always have trash bags in the car and try to pick up trash we spot when hiking or driving on trails. If I had a dollar for every Mylar balloon we’ve picked up I could probably pay for something from the Rivian gear options list.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender

"The great thing about a Rivian is it removes one of the unavoidable irresponsibilities - pollution.'

Yeahhh...does it though?? (I guess that's the kind of self awareness I was thinking of...)

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
That would be like a gas car having only a DTE readout and no fuel gauge. Terrible.

Surely they'll show SOC/percentage of charge. My computer can do it, my phone can do it, every car since the gas gauge can do it....

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
"The great thing about a Rivian is it removes one of the unavoidable irresponsibilities - pollution.'

Yeahhh...does it though?? (I guess that's the kind of self awareness I was thinking of...)
While the battery recycling industry is still in its infancy, it does exist and attempts to reduce the primary pollutant that is generated by EVs. While we can argue over lithium mining, the amount mined for car batteries pales in comparison to the amounts mined for smartphones and laptops and everything in between.

Noise pollution is real. It disturbs wildlife. It annoys fellow travelers.

Exhaust pollution is real, and it doesn't exactly evenly disperse into the entire atmosphere when generated locally.

So yes, it does, really, and I'm sure Rivian in particular has a much better understanding of the pollution impacts than you or I, given that's a repeatedly stated focus of the company.

Either way, there is absolutely no reasonable argument that ICE vehicles are better long-term for the environment than electric vehicles are, especially once we have 100 years of EVs on the road like we have ICEs.

Sponsored

kommonplace

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinjwangler.com
Vehicles
2014 Ford Flex, non-LE R1S preorder
Occupation
IT Director

I know there's a healthy debate about whether EVs are better for the environment or not (I lean toward "yes" but I'm certainly no expert), but I think everyone can agree it at least removes noise polution. :rock:

EDIT: @Inkedsphynx beat me to it

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

We cannot remove pollution entirely. Gotta poop, after all.

But an EV pollutes way less than a gas vehicle. Hell an R1 has a smaller environmental footprint than my sensible hatchback, considering manufacturing pollution, pollution from emissions and burning fuel for propulsion...

And where I'm at it will be charged entirely on hydro and wind power.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Any idea why they wouldn't have run an R1S on this trip?

I know it is coming after the R1T, but considering they were running pre-production trucks, I don't see why they couldn't have also run a pre-production R1S.

Just feels like a missed opportunity, but still excited to see the content!

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
So is there not going to be a true 360 degree top view camera? Only a Tesla-like back and side one?

Caymanwent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
I really found this point regarding range to be interesting:

"Our range dropped to zero with at least 10 miles to go, prompting various dire warnings, but Rocky soldiered on and reached the charger."

While no guarantee, knowing that they went 10 miles past the zero (range) mark gives some idea of the rage buffer (sandbagging) that the Rivian has.
While they stated in the article that due of their driving habits they were burning through their charge quickly, I have to wonder what their average range was in between charges.
You might get those few extra miles of range past zero but how many times can you do that before your max range number decreases?
Sponsored