Sponsored

How are you planning to haul your ski / snowboard gear?

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
My estimate is that my Yakima box will not fit over the bed. The clamps on the bottom of the box can only move so much. The factory cross bar mounts are too close to the back window. The box would likely need to go over the roof.
Sponsored

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
As far as a snow board in the gear tunnel, you might need to pull the boards out before pulling into the parking spot. Getting the board out with a car next to you could be awkward.

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
R1S reservation holder here. Snowboarding is my winter activity. I both fly and take road trips.

If the number of people in the car allows for one second row seat to be folded down, I keep the gear in the car. Otherwise I have a Yakima box I'll toss on the top (yes, aero hit with that, but I don't like my gear exposed to the elements and road salt).

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

I have nordic skis that are up to 210 cm long. By scaling the drawing of the R1T dimensions it looks like I can fit my longest skis inside the cab by putting the tails in the gear tunnel and laying the skis between the seats.
Rivian R1T R1S How are you planning to haul your ski / snowboard gear? 1634908074382

fergie

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
05 4Runner, 22 Kia EV6
I have nordic skis that are up to 210 cm long. By scaling the drawing of the R1T dimensions it looks like I can fit my longest skis inside the cab by putting the tails in the gear tunnel and laying the skis between the seats.
1634908074382.png
The real reason for the access port to the gear tunnel! Someone at Rivian does ski!

Sponsored

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
If I get a first drive here in Denver, I will likely spend the first ten minutes or so trying to figure out how to fit my skis

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
1634908074382.png
Yeah could work but I’m not a big fan of sharp exposed edges riding so close to my soft vegan leather seats… Not to mention what you do with wet/snowy skis. Could put them in a ski bag but that gets pretty bulky. I think I’m going to go Thule box over the bed.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

1631208792768.png

Oops. My original math was off. (When in doubt, let the computers do the math...)

Turns out the diagonal on the interior is longer than I thought -- almost 76", which is 3.4" longer than my longest skis. They're powder skis with big spoons (not perfectly straight rods), so it's still debatable that they will fit AND that the cover will close.

I guess I'm leaning ski rack or ski box over bed unless some better idea comes along.
A little frame of reference is my last truck (Honda Ridgeline) which has a nearly identical bed width as compared to the R1T but is about 64" long with the tailgate up. I could fit my buddies skis at a diagonal like you show but barely and I suspect they were not as long/wide as your powder skis.

On the other hand if you look at the bed you may get some extra width because the bed width is measured between the wheel wells (or so it looks):

Rivian R1T R1S How are you planning to haul your ski / snowboard gear? 1634915534925

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

I am surprised nobody on this board has 3D-printed an entire Rivian yet, just to practice parking in their garage, loading up the bed, sleeping in the cab, etc.
Since no one has...... Looks like manufacturing a Rivian is harder than most of us on here think.:clap:

mattward

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Chevrolet Equinox
Ski box over bed, hanging over the back. Lower height for easier access.

Sponsored

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Snowboards in gear tunnel.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Ski box over bed, hanging over the back. Lower height for easier access.
I measured my Yakima box. The mounts do not line up with the Rivian cross bars without going through the back window. If you do figure out how to mount it. The Yakima box is going to stick several feet out the back end.

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
I measured my Yakima box. The mounts do not line up with the Rivian cross bars without going through the back window. If you do figure out how to mount it. The Yakima box is going to stick several feet out the back end.
Worst case it could go on top of the cab. Not ideal.

Assumed the box will stick out over the back end because, well, the skis obviously are way too long to fit in the bed... :)