Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Where is the camp kitchen getting 120VAC from if there's only 12V outlets in the gear tunnel?

Reactions: Rad

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S 2022 Rivian R1T Gear tunnel hands-on review: 2022-Rivian-R1T-Gear-Tunnel-09
Rivian R1T R1S 2022 Rivian R1T Gear tunnel hands-on review: 2022-Rivian-R1T-Gear-Tunnel-12-1

Oh, looks like one side is 12V and the other is 110VAC. Gotta say MT's attention to detail is lacking here.

Rivuylkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm probably missing something obvious but a little passthrough from the bed to the tunnel, potentially even in line with the passthrough to the cabin seems like it would line up at a glance, and allow for long SKInny things

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Oh, looks like one side is 12V and the other is 110VAC. Gotta say MT's attention to detail is lacking here.
In their article on the frunk on Wednesday, they originally said the frunk had no power outlet.

There are no power outlets or USB ports inside—those are reserved for the cabin—but the frunk does have a large bin underneath the floor to handle additional items, such as more duffel bags. To access the bin, simply lift the floor panel, and it will secure via magnets against the back wall, a great packaging solution that means you don't have to find space elsewhere to store the panel. What's missing is a drain plug so you could use the frunk as a cooler during tailgate parties or camping trips. Maybe Rivian will add one—and perhaps some power points—in a later update to its new electric truck
They have since update their article to say they were just missing the power outlet in the frunk in their pre-production model.

The frunk has a large bin underneath the floor to handle additional items, such as more duffel bags. To access the bin, simply lift the floor panel, and it will secure via magnets against the back wall, a great packaging solution that means you don't have to find space elsewhere to store the panel. What's missing is a drain plug and a power outlet. We're told production-spec R1Ts will have a 12v outlet towards the front of the frunk, but it would be nice to be able to use the frunk as a cooler during tailgate parties or camping trips. Maybe Rivian will add drain plugs in a later update to its new electric truck.
MT is probably basing everything off of a pre-production model that didn't have the production power outlets. This also makes it look like Rivian is not exercising some editorial control over MT's reviews. They are probably correcting them as they get things wrong based on their pre-production model, but not reviewing things before they get published.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
In their article on the frunk on Wednesday, they originally said the frunk had no power outlet.
Yes, MT did make an error regarding the frunk, but I think @Dark-Fx was referencing the Gear Tunnel.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Yes, MT did make an error regarding the frunk, but I think @Dark-Fx was referencing the Gear Tunnel.
I was. I had e-mailed them about the article and it looks like they've changed the language already.

It also has a 12-volt outlet and a 110-volt outlet, one at each end, for powering various accessories.

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
One thing I have been trying to find.

Do the frunk and gear tunnel lock with the other doors? I would assume so, but I had a coworker ask and I wanted to double check

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
One thing I have been trying to find.

Do the frunk and gear tunnel lock with the other doors? I would assume so, but I had a coworker ask and I wanted to double check
They refer to it as "lockable storage" in several places on the website, so the answer is almost certainly yes. The shots we've seen of the UI appear to have one central lock and no separate locks for the tonneau/tailgate/gear tunnel/frunk, so I assume these are all wired in centrally.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I'm probably missing something obvious but a little passthrough from the bed to the tunnel, potentially even in line with the passthrough to the cabin seems like it would line up at a glance, and allow for long SKInny things
Totally agree that this would be awesome (and does indeed line up at least enough to give you another foot or so of clearance), but seems unlikely at least for first-gen vehicles - that appears to be a structural part of the unibody:
Rivian R1T R1S 2022 Rivian R1T Gear tunnel hands-on review: 1631296420303

I'm not an engineer and I assume this is something you could work around in theory with well-placed reinforcements, but as-is just punching a hole through there would probably compromise strength and rigidity in important dimensions.

(Also note that adding another opening means another place to secure against water/dust ingress, another place to add and wire up locks, another set of moving parts... at the end of the day it would add real expense probably out of proportion with the value to most customers. As much as I love the idea, a ski rack is a much simpler solution.)

Sponsored

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
Still don't know how much space we lose if we add the gear shuttle. Really need to know that information. Not sure why it's not out there yet.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

I'm a little underwhelmed by MT's contend for this review.
NOT underwhelmed with the gear tunnel itself.

It just seems they could have gone into more details, but alas just another quick "review" to get more clicks to their site.

Thank you @Dark-Fx for getting better information than the MT crew did lol

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Rivian R1T R1S 2022 Rivian R1T Gear tunnel hands-on review: 1631300687591

Is that a uniquely designed dog carrier? It'd be interesting to have one that fits in the tunnel with a side entrance, and then also has a rolling opening that is greated for the pass through... Then you could keep a dirty pupper effectively in the cab (with pass through open and the inside of the crate visible) but not actually let them in the cab or climb all over passengers.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Anyone else concerned about carpet on the gear tunnel wells if you're tossing wet muddy gear in there? Sounds like a recipe for some stank and making it more difficult to clean than a hard interior.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Anyone else concerned about carpet on the gear tunnel wells if you're tossing wet muddy gear in there? Sounds like a recipe for some stank and making it more difficult to clean than a hard interior.
it would be the same as most peoples trunks I throw muddy boots and bags in all the time in and cleans up fine with vacuum and water later.
Sponsored