Sponsored

Motortrend Videos are gone…did anyone download them?

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Oh, another point on the nutty theory that Rivian had the videos pulled because of low view counts:

These videos were never on Motor Trend's Youtube channel. The only videos that have ever been on that channel were the first drive and the interior review, both of which are still on the channel and both of which have the highest views for any videos posted in the last two weeks, by a large margin.
Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Oh, another point on the nutty theory that Rivian had the videos pulled because of low view counts:

These videos were never on Motor Trend's Youtube channel. The only videos that have ever been on that channel were the first drive and the interior review, both of which are still on the channel and both of which have the highest views for any videos posted in the last two weeks, by a large margin.
I know this to be true, because after seeing that there were videos while reading the articles yesterday during work, I made the decision to save them for after work while I ride my stationary bike. I was quite wroth when I got on my bike and realized that they were not available on YT.

fletch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I just saw one still up on this link: https://apple.news/A1d4VOMgfRzWZZhe5UZPoig
It works on my iPhone, not on the computer browser. See it before it’s taken down…
Thanks for the tip. Worked for me, and as of now part 2 is still available there, too.

Leg 1: https://apple.news/A1d4VOMgfRzWZZhe5UZPoig
Leg 2: https://apple.news/AXDzxcs9fSi2qnYufaoWIHg

Works in Apple's News app on iOS, iPadOS, and even macOS if you have their News app installed. I just watched both videos full screen on my mac.

If you haven't seen the videos yet and don't have an Apple device: you're honestly not missing very much. They aren't truck reviews. Yes, it's nice to have any new Rivian content, but the videos are really just a trip diary for the motor trend editors. Much is said about the scenery, and their gratitude for being able to take a long off-road trip, but there's really not much at all about the trucks.

OP
OP
lg3103

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
Genius…great find

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
Genius…great find
Seeing that @fletch is a veritable chameleon and investigative reporter, it makes perfect sense that he has uncovered the forbidden link #2 from Apple News. Good work, Fletch.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Seeing that @fletch is a veritable chameleon and investigative reporter, it makes perfect sense that he has uncovered the forbidden link #2 from Apple News. Good work, Fletch.
He lives!

AndroidAppBundle

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bianchi
The view count of the R1T videos on MotorTrend YouTube channel compared to the other MotorTrend videos isn’t the point. The 3 week old video reviewing the 2023 Nissan Z, which is just a refreshed 350z, is got 318k views. There is a 3 week old, 10 hour long video of Dodge vehicles racing on a drag strip with 338k views. Then there is a R1T world reveal, first reviewer to touch the vehicle and be able to film with their own camera and actually drive the car.....that video; that video has 194k views. We all know how much more significant a R1T is than a model refresh for a coupe from Nissan.

The point is this is first video showing a real review of a really hyped consumer product. Go look at the F150 EV, or any other big reveal. Each video has millions of views. There is buzz, there are people talking about it. There are people tuning in.

The channel is almost irrelevant. People - everyone, are going to link to it. Fans, curious EV shoppers, reservation holders, haters - a significant chunk of people are going to check it out. Rivian has global ambitions as we all know. For a brand with such desire for global reach, such hype, such a story,such appeal (to me, and to you) - it doesn’t seem to have generated much buzz.

I’m just working with the information I got; and Rivian isn’t very forthcoming. One test will be getting it in the hands of a more....modern YouTube channel like Marquees Brownlee or Unboxed Therapy.

I am personally very disappointed in the lack of views. Like c’mon, there has to be more than 194k people who wanted to check out a Rivian review for the first time. At least a million...

This is way more significant than the Nissan Z. This is way more significant than a minor upgrade to an existing product. This is a new brand...and its being shown to the world.

The brand is no Tesla, that is for sure.

cwinters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S LE
Sure. But he isn't wrong...
We all come here everyday searching for something, anything, about our beloved preorders. sOOn we'll all have beards and glasses and limestone rivians like @skyote and crew, cause that's all we actually see.

I know it's just a truck, but I've been so excited and waiting for this damn thing for what seems like forever, like all of you here. I come here several times a day hoping for something juicy. Nothing. Which is why people turn from love to questioning reality so fast. You can't hate on the people who point out the issues. They are indeed issues.

I forget what my point was... Another beverage will help me out.

Oh yeah, can't hate the hater if they are speaking the truth, no matter how hard it hurts. 09sept and we have a motor trend version of long way up. No sales to consumers yet, no more people getting contacted by Guides. No answers. Just an 80B IPO... I hope the truck is that damn good.

OP
OP
lg3103

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
They will get plenty of hype over the next few months and why hype something outside of the hardcore reservation holder crew until you can actually get them to interested buyers within 3-6 months. The buzz will come when we drive around town in them and more and more people wonder what they are. Tesla did way less when they started and I can’t see much of a buzz around Lucid either. Way more people in my circle have heard about Rivian vs Lucid.

Sponsored

brianmartin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Camaro 2.0t
The view count of the R1T videos on MotorTrend YouTube channel compared to the other MotorTrend videos isn’t the point. The 3 week old video reviewing the 2023 Nissan Z, which is just a refreshed 350z, is got 318k views. There is a 3 week old, 10 hour long video of Dodge vehicles racing on a drag strip with 338k views. Then there is a R1T world reveal, first reviewer to touch the vehicle and be able to film with their own camera and actually drive the car.....that video; that video has 194k views. We all know how much more significant a R1T is than a model refresh for a coupe from Nissan.

The point is this is first video showing a real review of a really hyped consumer product. Go look at the F150 EV, or any other big reveal. Each video has millions of views. There is buzz, there are people talking about it. There are people tuning in.

The channel is almost irrelevant. People - everyone, are going to link to it. Fans, curious EV shoppers, reservation holders, haters - a significant chunk of people are going to check it out. Rivian has global ambitions as we all know. For a brand with such desire for global reach, such hype, such a story,such appeal (to me, and to you) - it doesn’t seem to have generated much buzz.

I’m just working with the information I got; and Rivian isn’t very forthcoming. One test will be getting it in the hands of a more....modern YouTube channel like Marquees Brownlee or Unboxed Therapy.

I am personally very disappointed in the lack of views. Like c’mon, there has to be more than 194k people who wanted to check out a Rivian review for the first time. At least a million...

This is way more significant than the Nissan Z. This is way more significant than a minor upgrade to an existing product. This is a new brand...and its being shown to the world.

The brand is no Tesla, that is for sure.
"Marques Brownlee" and "Doug Demuro" aren't going to drive the TAT and camp out along the way. Youtube reviews have their place, and get lots of views because its a quick way to learn everything there is to know about the vehicle in 20 minutes. Motor Trend skews toward an older demographic that actually remembers real magazines and real stories.
Look at it this way. All 300,000 of the people that regularly view motor trend videos about high end sports cars and luxury brands, are also watching the R1T videos. And its probably blowing their minds. Many of them are probably thinking "gosh...maybe i need one of those" for the very first time. That is exactly what Rivian was hoping for and its happening as we speak. Hundreds of thousands will tune in for these 2-part TAT travelogue videos. It's an absolutely incredible marketing move by Rivian. Rivian knows that things won't get really hot until the vehicles are delivered. But as a prelude, it never hurts to drop a bomb right in the center of the motor trend demographic.

And, you're right. This brand is no Tesla. And that is very reassuring to me. Rivian is the new Land Rover and they're going to be collectible one day.

Last edited:

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
I am personally very disappointed in the lack of views.
Your post would have been a lot shorter if you pared it down to its essence, per above.

But ultimately, so what? There is no way the videos got taken down because of disappointing view counts. None.

And there’s no reason for Rivian to be disappointed with the numbers given that they selected Motor Trend with full knowledge of its reach.

Use some common sense. Rivian got a glowing review from an established brand. They’re happy enough to leave the videos up, at the very least!

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Called it. Motortrend isn’t going to put everything up all at once. That’s not how multi-part articles work.

rather looking forward to getting my mitts on the actual magazine. Sometimes glossy pages are better than screens.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
... I am personally very disappointed in the lack of views. Like c’mon, there has to be more than 194k people who wanted to check out a Rivian review for the first time. At least a million...
One thing a lot of people that know about Rivian that seem to not take into account: There are a plethora of people globablly that are blissfully unaware of this company nor their vehicles. So much so that many of them think Rivian is a suddenly popped up division of Ford when they see it or believe this is another Nikoka motors fiasco and move along ignoring it. It's only now Rivian is in a short-lived spotlight and there is still much misconception regarding the company (due to various reasons such as lack of brand awareness to just pure hate regarding yet "another EV junk" {as many of the EV haters keep saying}).

AndroidAppBundle

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bianchi
You still look at the wrong angle. It isn’t about the reach of MotorTrend the YouTube channel; this is about the reach of the Rivian brand. A brand like Rivian should pull people to the YouTube video. That is not happening. People are not watching the video, and that is the problem. The problem is not the reach of MotorTrend. The problem is Rivian is not popular (as i thought) with consumers for consumers to care to click on a Rivian review and watch it.

We’re up to 201k views now. A whopping 6,000 people in 12 hours watched the video. This is so disappointing. I thought Rivian would have been able to pull in a million views in 24 hours, no doubt in my mind.

Your post would have been a lot shorter if you pared it down to its essence, per above.

But ultimately, so what? There is no way the videos got taken down because of disappointing view counts. None.

And there’s no reason for Rivian to be disappointed with the numbers given that they selected Motor Trend with full knowledge of its reach.

Use some common sense. Rivian got a glowing review from an established brand. They’re happy enough to leave the videos up, at the very least!
Sponsored