Sponsored

Motortrend Videos are gone…did anyone download them?

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
i was able to finish the first video this morning as I'd started it yesterday and got sidetracked with that pesky thing called 'working'. but yeah they're gone now. The text is all still there with even more detail though, so dunno.
Teaches you to have your priorities mixed up :p
Sponsored

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

Seems like the videos have disappeared from the massive info drop on motortrend.

Did anyone download them before they were taken down?
Just go to www.motortrend.com, in the the search window - type Rivian. All the videos are there.

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
Occupation
Finance

Sponsored

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Yesterday, each photo had a link in the upper right corner that said "See all 9x photos". Not sure if it was 92 or 96. But I went through all of them. Many trail pics, etc. That has now changed to 48. The interesting thing to me is that these 48 show a lot more detail than anything in the group of 96 yesterday.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Lightning Standard
I poked around Twitter and I see a response from MT:

Long story short, they weren't supposed to go live with the first part of the written story. They'll be back up on their own soon.

(from the long haired guy in the videos).

So maybe I can put away my pitchforks and Tin foil hat :)

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Yesterday, each photo had a link in the upper right corner that said "See all 9x photos". Not sure if it was 92 or 96. But I went through all of them. Many trail pics, etc. That has now changed to 48. The interesting thing to me is that these 48 show a lot more detail than anything in the group of 96 yesterday.
I see 94 photos on the Part 1 TAT article. Each of the articles has different photos. Although it's possible there are a few duplicates, the "first look", "interior", "frunk", "tire change", and "TAT trip part 1" mostly do have unique photos to that article.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
I see 94 photos on the Part 1 TAT article. Each of the articles has different photos. Although it's possible there are a few duplicates, the "first look", "interior", "frunk", "tire change", and "TAT trip part 1" mostly do have unique photos to that article.
Thanks!

atlastracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Honda Pilot
I saw mention of the "part 2" video coming Sept 13. However the video was posted yesterday. I thought it was odd that part 2 was coming soon when I was watching it. I just assumed it was a typo and they meant part 3 was coming Sept 13. Clearly they accidentally posted part 2 (and maybe the other videos) early and they meant to drop them 1 at a time. Hopefully part 3 comes mid/late next week. I don't want to see 1 per week like a TV series :p

I also got a long way up vibe from them - looking forward to seeing the rest (I think they said 5 legs?).

Sponsored

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
My speculation is view count numbers do not meet Rivian goals; and to save face, they chose to remove the videos.
This is definitely not it. No way Rivian has that kind of arbitrary control and no way they're crazy enough to pull a set of glowing reviews over something like view counts.

As others have noted, this reeks of a MotorTrend mixup (e.g. published early or with the wrong articles) and not Rivian oversight.

Damn we're a conspiratorial bunch.

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
This is definitely not it. No way Rivian has that kind of arbitrary control and no way they're crazy enough to pull a set of glowing reviews over something like view counts.

As others have noted, this reeks of a MotorTrend mixup (e.g. published early or with the wrong articles) and not Rivian oversight.

Damn we're a conspiratorial bunch.
There is no way the solution to “our videos aren’t getting enough views” is “let’s make them inaccessible.”

In any event, these videos are doing way better than most MT videos, and Rivian would have been aware of their reach before planning the stories, so Rivian can’t be too disappointed with the views, certainly not enough to demand they be pulled!

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
In any event, these videos are doing way better than most MT videos, and Rivian would have been aware of their reach before planning the stories, so Rivian can’t be too disappointed with the views, certainly not enough to demand they be pulled!
As others have noted, YouTube performance is almost certainly not indicative of views in the MT viewer, either; totally different audiences and MT's circulation is the target for this whole stunt.
Sponsored