Sponsored

So in Illinois, will R1T be Class B while R1S gets passenger plates?

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
That would be pretty messed up given that the cars are nearly identical from the front door forward and share the same drive train. Heck, the R1S is probably heavier.

The difference in Chicago is all kinds of streets I could get ticketed on, steeper prices for stickers and plates, special stickers to secure so I can use residential parking without getting ticketed, and I wouldn't even be allowed on Lakeshore Drive (a very critical artery) while larger Suburbans and Explorers roam free.

Previous generation Ford Ranger drivers have been complaining about this stuff for years in Chicago. Way to support Normal with really piss-poor interpretation of 100-year-old laws meant to keep industrial trucks out of the hair of the elite, IL.
Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
The Illinois Secretary of State for vehicles states the following for B-Truck license plates:

"Availability
  • B-truck license have staggered annual renewals are displayed on trucks and vans weighing 8,000 pounds or less, sport utility vehicles and antique trucks.
  • Eligible for Benefit Access Program"
Interesting that it does not specifically mention pickup trucks but does list SUVs. That web page also makes no mention if the vehicle is electric. I believe the reason is because Illinois has a special plate for ALL electric vehicles under 8,000 pounds.

Electric Vehicle License Plates Guide

Rivian R1T R1S So in Illinois, will R1T be Class B while R1S gets passenger plates? electricvehicle

Affirmation for Electric Vehicle

Definition (625 ILCS 5/12-805): “The owner of a motor vehicle of the first division or a motor vehicle of the second division weighing 8,000 pounds or less propelled by an electric engine and not utilizing motor fuel, may register such vehicle for a fee not to exceed $35 for a 2-year registration period. The Secretary may, in his discretion, prescribe that electric vehicle registration plates be issued for an indefinite term, such term to correspond to the term of registration plates issued generally, as provided in Section 3-414.1 (625 ILCS 5/3-414.1). In no event may the registration fee for electric vehicles exceed $18 per registration year. Electric vehicle license plates are prorated and have a registration period that begins January 1st of even-numbered years and ends December 31st of odd-numbered years."
Availability
  • There are two types of electric vehicles: originally manufactured electric vehicle and a converted electric vehicle.
    Note: for a converted vehicle, submit photographs of the front, back and side of the vehicle along with photographs of the electric motor and battery.
  • Not eligible for Benefit Access Program

The above Definition and Availability sections do not appear to discriminate on vehicle type (SUV, pickup, etc). So I'm figuring it doesn't matter whether you get the R1S or R1T, you will end up with an EL plate ... and drive up and down LSD as much as you want! ;)

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Definition (625 ILCS 5/12-805): “The owner of a motor vehicle of the first division or a motor vehicle of the second division weighing 8,000 pounds or less propelled by an electric engine and not utilizing motor fuel, may register such vehicle for a fee not to exceed $35 for a 2-year registration period. The Secretary may, in his discretion, prescribe that electric vehicle registration plates be issued for an indefinite term, such term to correspond to the term of registration plates issued generally, as provided in Section 3-414.1 (625 ILCS 5/3-414.1). In no event may the registration fee for electric vehicles exceed $18 per registration year. Electric vehicle license plates are prorated and have a registration period that begins January 1st of even-numbered years and ends December 31st of odd-numbered years."
Be aware this information is out of date. The registration fee for EVs in Illinois is now $251 a year.

OP
OP
Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
That's interesting. We'll have to see. It's still messed up that a last-gen Ford Ranger is more restricted than an Explorer or a Suburban that could almost fit the Ranger in their trunks but currently owning a Civic, this stuff was off my radar. The extra registration bothers me less. A mileage tax seems more fair but I'd rather just pay extra than have to bring my car in somewhere annually for them to check my mileage. That would take all the fun out of not having to be bothered with emissions tests.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I'd rather just pay extra than have to bring my car in somewhere annually for them to check my mileage. That would take all the fun out of not having to be bothered with emissions tests.
Just because you won't have to get an emissions test doesn't mean you won't still have to go in for safety inspections.

OP
OP
Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
What could possibly be unsafe about a gigantic collection of batteries that can help propel a not-small-or-aerodynamic-car to 60 mph in 3.2 seconds under your feet; all of it managed by software auto-installed by over-the-air updates?
Sponsored