Sponsored

What would you like to see on your new Rivian or from the Rivian company??

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
It's interesting and entertaining to speculate but let's be realistic. There isn't going to be a Tesla SC option. At the same time I believe that we will be able to get by with EA, EvGO, PetroCanada, Circuit Electrique etc. Those of us who are current Tesla drivers have become very spoiled. The early Tesla adopters weren't. We'll live through it somehow.

Once again I encourage people to try their potential trips with ABRP in order to get an idea what to expect. Be sure to check out the chargers ABRP recommends on PlugShare to see what users are reporting WRT reliability, queues etc.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
It's interesting and entertaining to speculate but let's be realistic. There isn't going to be a Tesla SC option. At the same time I believe that we will be able to get by with AE, EvGO, PetroCanada, Circuit Electrique etc. Those of us who are current Tesla drivers have become very spoiled. The early Tesla adopters weren't. We'll live through it somehow.

Once again I encourage people to try their potential trips with ABRP in order to get an idea what to expect. Be sure to check out the chargers ABRP recommends on PlugShare to see what users are reporting WRT reliability, queues etc.
So true about Tesla user being spoiled by the SC network...This is a big reason for me to hesitate and plus the lack of info from Rivian even though the R1T should be arriving late 2020...I just don't want tobe their guinea pig while they work out their sales, delivery and after sales support network...

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
So true about Tesla user being spoiled by the SC network...This is a big reason for me to hesitate and plus the lack of info from Rivian even though the R1T should be arriving late 2020...I just don't want tobe their guinea pig while they work out their sales, delivery and after sales support network...
There are supposedly announcements coming very soon about those very issues. Stay tuned for what comes out of the SF event & Fully Charged Live.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There are supposedly announcements coming very soon about those very issues. Stay tuned for what comes out of the SF event & Fully Charged Live.
I sincerely hope so. If no significant news comes out, I'll probably go back to Tesla to play it safe. Come on Rivian, show us some significant good news!!

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Definitely. But I think we are a long way from decent range. A delivery van could easily get away with 100 miles of range. In an RV that would be a nightmare. Also, if it isn't AWD, I wouldn't want one. I think a Ford Transit AWD hybrid would be a good alternative until an all electric van with decent range comes out.
Or Rivian could drop in a 180kW battery pack with either dual or quad motors, front or AWD, onto an "aero" mid height van body; 400+ miles; I want one!

Sponsored

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Agree. Rivian definitely can help Ford with a Transit hybrid. Or just use the existing quad motor skateboard architecture and place a Van body over it. Plus, there is a lot rumor circulating about Ford taking over Rivian but keeping it independently run by Scaringe. Exciting times!
I am for Ford taking it over but keeping it independent. Win-win for Ford and ensuring Rivian's long term survivability. Maybe Rivian can become a premium brand under Ford, slotting above Lincoln!?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
The biggest negative against Rivian is charging infrastructure. The biggest against Tesla is delivery and service. Certainly a deal between Ford and Rivian would do much to make sure that these two items don't wind up on Rivian's list too. But RJ seems fiercely determined to keep Rivian an independent brand so that the idea of taking your Rivian to the nearest Ford dealer for service is, currently, not on the table. Rather Cox will service and delivery somehow. Somehow supposedly will have techs come to your house, a la Tesla, and if they can't effect repair put your truck on a flatbed and haul it off somewhere. Now somewhere may be an unmarked building behind the nearest Ford dealership and that's where the mobile techs may have their lockers but as it currently seems there will be no visible connection between Ford and Rivian.

I am for Ford taking it over but keeping it independent.
That just doesn't happen.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
From Rivian Support team:
"The R1T rear window does not open. It is fixed to accommodate the tonneau cover and side bin storage underneath.
Best,
Himanshi"

This is disappointing, still don't see why Rivian can't add a powered or manual side sliding rear window port like the ones found on most pickup trucks except the Tundras which have the entire rear window power slides up and down??
Anyone else here wants a sliding rear window port on their Rivian?

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
"The R1T rear window does not open. It is fixed to accommodate the tonneau cover and side bin storage underneath.
Best,
Himanshi"

This is disappointing, still don't see why Rivian can't add a powered or manual side sliding rear window port like the ones found on most pickup trucks except the Tundras which have the entire rear window power slides up and down??
Being able to at least to remove it when you have a cap over the bed makes sense in a lot of scenarios. But it doesn't have to be open/closeable for the duration of any given trip, IMO.

Sponsored

The Brit

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
Best,
Himanshi"

I've only ever used the power sliding window in my raptor for long pieces of wood. But the R1T has that cool roof rack... For the roof rack to be uber cool for long pieces of wood (or whatever), the rear most cross bar on the bed should be extendable to be as tall as the cross bars on the the roof.

Last edited:

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've only ever used the power sliding window in my raptor for long pieces of wood. But the R1T has that cool roof rack... For the roof rack to be uber cool for long pieces of wood (or whatever), the rear most cross bar on the bed should be extendable to be as tall as the cross bars on the the roof.
I use mine mainly for ventilation during our hot summer months in Texas and Arizona. Works great as vent during long drive. Also use it to check my load in the truck bed while driving. It has many uses for me, that's why it is so popular on pickup trucks to have a rear sliding windows.

Mikers

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Landrover Discovery, 1974 Volkswagen Thing
A way to enter my R1T without a key. My F150 has outside digital key pad so that I can go trail running without having to carry my key fob.
Agreed, this would be nice. Looks like the Ford MachE has this, sure hope Rivian does!

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Agreed, this would be nice. Looks like the Ford MachE has this, sure hope Rivian does!
So far it seems Rivian plans to support a carabiner style key fob and access through your phone. There's a thread around here about the fobs which includes pics.
Sponsored