First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
I have a Prius Prime, and it was the gateway drug for me into wanting a full EV.
And I've heard the RAV4 Prime is even better, more HP, more ev miles, etc. That sounds like a perfect vehicle until you can get a Riv. My Prius is for me, at least...
Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I have a Prius Prime, and it was the gateway drug for me into wanting a full EV.
And I've heard the RAV4 Prime is even better, more HP, more ev miles, etc. That sounds like a perfect vehicle until you can get a Riv. My Prius is for me, at least...
Also, there are some vids online with the Rav4 prime tacking some trails and it does better than the regular hybrid Rav4

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
I'm a very late LE R1T preorder holder (November or October 2020) and I just bought a Santa Cruz, because I don't expect to get my R1T within a year. I'm hoping to get it late next year. If it's ready sooner and I like Santa Cruz I might just switch to max battery and wait a bit longer.

WheeledLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Juiced HyperScorpion
Occupation
Thinker
If it were me, I would go ahead and put up the depos bit, to at least get in some type of line, whatever that may be. I would expect you'll know more about your timeframe, when they start delivering vehicles, supposedly next month. You can get your deposit back at any time, but if you continue to wait, then there'll be no chance to meet your timeframe.
Realistically, ramp-up will be slow and do not be surprised if Job-1 isn't scheduled on the production line in September.

CarterGee

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner Limited '16
I think it would be very smart to put in a preorder now before Rivian starts getting tons of press. You may actually be close to the "front of the line" (depending on your location and configuration) after Rivian launches and the attention drives (pun intended) more people to reserve en masse.

Sponsored

huskybrewing

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Clubs

First post, also a newby here. I have been lurking here and on FB.

I preordered a R1T max pack in May 2021 (and have changed configuration repeatedly, part of the joy of the configurator). I would be pleasantly surprised if I receive the vehicle in 2022. My guess is 2023. But: no one really knows.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I preordered a R1T max pack in May 2021 (and have changed configuration repeatedly, part of the joy of the configurator). I would be pleasantly surprised if I receive the vehicle in 2022. My guess is 2023. But: no one really knows.
First of all, congrats on diving into the Forums. Secondly, I think you're about right on the timing, but keep your fingers crossed!

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer

I also put a deposit down in May 2021, but for a large pack R1T. I’m hoping for mid-late 2022 for delivery, but we’ll see how that goes. I’m about 5.5 hours from the factory, so hoping that helps move my order up the list.

jasonmkd

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, Toyota RAV4 Prime
Maybe look at a rav4 prime so you can benefit a little bit from plugging in?
My wife drives 20K+ mi/yr and is picking up a RAV4 Prime next week, but the main challenge there is you have a very finite window to find a dealership that has the VIN to know it's coming but hasn't yet sold it. Plus the markup is crazy (like $10K+) so it ends up being a $60K+ car since they're already being sold before they even hit the lot. She's not ready to go full EV, so as excited as we are to start moving our family towards that life until my R1T is ready, the RAV4 Prime might end up being a waste of cash if someone is only using it as an in-between car purchase for the next 1-2 yrs.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
I also put a deposit down in May 2021, but for a large pack R1T. I’m hoping for mid-late 2022 for delivery, but we’ll see how that goes. I’m about 5.5 hours from the factory, so hoping that helps move my order up the list.
I’m 5 1/2 hours away from the factory too. In podunk, MN. I do not have my hopes up.

Sponsored

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
My wife drives 20K+ mi/yr and is picking up a RAV4 Prime next week, but the main challenge there is you have a very finite window to find a dealership that has the VIN to know it's coming but hasn't yet sold it. Plus the markup is crazy (like $10K+) so it ends up being a $60K+ car since they're already being sold before they even hit the lot. She's not ready to go full EV, so as excited as we are to start moving our family towards that life until my R1T is ready, the RAV4 Prime might end up being a waste of cash if someone is only using it as an in-between car purchase for the next 1-2 yrs.
Damn. I had no idea a RAV4 Prime costs that much. Makes me feel better about the Rivian ?

on a related topic. Toyota just announced big delays on manufacturing for Japan and North America

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Damn. I had no idea a RAV4 Prime costs that much. Makes me feel better about the Rivian ?

on a related topic. Toyota just announced big delays on manufacturing for Japan and North America
Yeah, they've basically been back-ordered since release. I've honestly seen much more markup from dealers on the Rav4 Prime than the mach e. Toyota sandbagged their production numbers.

AndroidAppBundle

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bianchi
I am in your camp as well. To properly set expectations for myself; I don’t think R1S deliveries start until Q3 2024, with my vehicle R1S not being delivered until 2025.

Rivian may exceed these expectations. Or not.

But they are realistic

To hold me over, I plan on either getting a Q4 Etron, or Hummer EV (depends who has better financing and lease offers).

AndroidAppBundle

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bianchi
this is a good point to think about. There is nothing unique about Rivian in this respect. They could release the R1 models....and find a battery fire risk.

countless models have had electrical fire issues. At best, we can hope Rivian learns from the mistakes of others. But there are still new EV brands in 2021 with cars engulfed in flames on the side of the road.So, if they can’t learn from the mistakes....why would Rivian be able to?

Hey Chris,
You have probably heard, but Bolts 2017-2019 are being recalled due to risk of fire, due to "rare manufacturing defect" in their lithium ion cells, and GM is preparing to replace the battery modules, giving the owners a new 8 year/100k mile battery warranty, and in some cases, longer range than the original BEV system...238-->259. But, GM also could, at its discretion, as they get started in this process, find that they can inspect the battery pack, in some way confirm it is not at risk, or replace bad cells, and just put it back. Not really sure what will happen, but they are planning to begin with the 2019 models first, as those are the ones with the most fires and most at risk. Probably will be many months before they get around to my 2017 Bolt. I am hoping to get a new battery out of it, as I still love driving my Bolt around town. Still not great for long trips due to the relatively slow DCFC rates (never seen >55 kW).

Anyway, things to consider about the BoltEV. Some nervous Nellie 2017-2019 BoltEV owners may be willing to make you a good deal right now. And, you might even get a new battery out of it!

TACOLOVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RI1
The low-energy-density plug-in hybrids are fine for city dwellers that have short daily commutes. The more you drive, per day, the less advantage they have, however.
Just google the fuel efficiency of RAV4 Prime and you will change your mind. City or freeway, it's already way better than most ICEs out there.
Sponsored