Sponsored

Rivian makes cursory attempt to update pre-order holders

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
I debated posting this but figured someone may find it useful.

If you have recently visited the Rivian website, say, within the last few months, and looked around a bit the following should be nothing new as this information in whole or in part is on their website or been sent in past emails.

Received the following email from Rivian today:

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian makes cursory attempt to update pre-order holders .mailchimp.com%2F9792d9e7c99343a3b56686104%2F_compresseds%2F365ff524-46ef-4ad4-8071-9e6783b72e25

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian makes cursory attempt to update pre-order holders allery.mailchimp.com%2F9792d9e7c99343a3b56686104%2Fimages%2Fe825ccc0-15ed-4f2d-90f4-29b2e67e16ff

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian makes cursory attempt to update pre-order holders allery.mailchimp.com%2F9792d9e7c99343a3b56686104%2Fimages%2F3222a3d9-9caa-4e26-96bb-5b18b60518da

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian makes cursory attempt to update pre-order holders 7-4521-8031-0d40598f2878.jpg&t=1577484468&ymreqid=f5be54b2-7427-8e5f-1ccc-2206cb012f00&sig=FnD8f

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian makes cursory attempt to update pre-order holders .mailchimp.com%2F9792d9e7c99343a3b56686104%2F_compresseds%2F96912a4e-07c6-4de9-942a-ca30ea8566b9

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian makes cursory attempt to update pre-order holders allery.mailchimp.com%2F9792d9e7c99343a3b56686104%2Fimages%2F7a9581cf-7091-491e-ad86-c0c9151a1c7e

I'm starting to really feel placated by Rivian. Their updates are far and few in between, and in this case nothing new or actionable. This hurry-up-and-wait-with-no-info tactic is starting to wear on me ... :headbang: I can handle the wait but the lack of news on progress or additional details on what to expect next is the challenging part.

UPDATE: Just realized after looking back at my emails from Rivian, the above is the exact same email I received after placing my pre-order. Hmm, sent out again by mistake? Anybody else receive the above in an email today?
Sponsored

Last edited:

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Me too. And I wondered the same thing. If another sketch shows up and I’ve unknowingly lost my previous place in line I’m not going to be happy.

TXKidd

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T pre-order
Also got it. Not sure if it was accidentally sent out or what. Got excited to see a ‘new’ email, only to find nothing new.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I got it too...

Hopefully more significant news will be coming around Fully Charged Live.

SleepySheepie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, FJ40, MG TF1500, Model S, Lotus
I'm guessing it was an accident. Hopefully they are prepping to send something new out to reservation holders!

Sponsored

OP
OP
EyeOnRivian

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I got it too...

Hopefully more significant news will be coming around Fully Charged Live.
I'm guessing it was an accident. Hopefully they are prepping to send something new out to reservation holders!
I'm guessing it was accidentally sent as I just received another Rivian email but this time updating us on the first three events of 2020 - CES 2020, S.F. open house, and Fully Charged LIVE - and this time with hyperlinks to RSVP for each of the events. BTW, it also indicated that Rivian negotiated a 50% ticket discount for the Fully Charged LIVE event.

OP
OP
EyeOnRivian

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neither email here.
Have you submitted a pre-order deposit? Email was sent from preorders (at) rivian.com so I'm guessing only pre-order holders (versus newsletter subscription) only received it. (?)

Sponsored

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
I got that infantile email, too. It was as if Rivian was trying to keep fifth graders occupied until they get to grandma's house. Keep a waiting list for who wants to ride shotgun? Practice signaling other Rivian drivers?

Really?

I got another email, too, last week. I am also an early reservation holder for a Lucid Air. Lucid had just lowered its reservation price to $1,000, and they were offering early reservation holders a refund of the additional $1,500 reservation fee they initially paid. They also gave a link to use if you wanted someone to call you to answer any questions you might have.

I had several questions and used the link. Someone called me within an hour. She could not answer most of my questions but said someone else would call me within a day. The next morning I got a call from the head of Lucid sales. She had been employee #140 at Tesla, joining them before the original Roadster was produced and staying as the head of marketing until after the Model S was introduced. She spent over a half hour on the phone with me, discussing production timelines, what decisions have and have not been made yet about design and features, and telling me how the internal debate stood on those issues not yet resolved. She also peppered me with questions about which features mattered most to me and why, especially as I have bought two Teslas. As we were wrapping up, she put a note on her calendar to call me in April when they have the ordering timelines more clearly in view and more final design decisions in place.

It was a very adult experience.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EyeOnRivian

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Another hiccup? Earlier today I was notified of a new video uploaded to the Rivian YouTube channel titled "South America | Rivian." The 21 second video looked familiar. Eventually realized it was the same video Rivian made available along with a bunch of pics accessible from their "Postcard from South America" email back on Nov 15th. Interestingly the just-posted YouTube video is now tagged as unavailable - video is private. It would seem like Rivian's communications / PR department is having a little indigestion to end out the year.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I appreciate candor, transparency, & customer service like @Hmp10 is experiencing with Lucid.

I get that Rivian has somewhat of a culture of silence (action vs talk), but there is definite room for improvement in their overall communication and interaction with preorder customers.

Cactusone

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
I got that infantile email, too. It was as if Rivian was trying to keep fifth graders occupied until they get to grandma's house. Keep a waiting list for who wants to ride shotgun? Practice signaling other Rivian drivers?

Really?

I got another email, too, last week. I am also an early reservation holder for a Lucid Air. Lucid had just lowered its reservation price to $1,000, and they were offering early reservation holders a refund of the additional $1,500 reservation fee they initially paid. They also gave a link to use if you wanted someone to call you to answer any questions you might have.

I had several questions and used the link. Someone called me within an hour. She could not answer most of my questions but said someone else would call me within a day. The next morning I got a call from the head of Lucid sales. She had been employee #140 at Tesla, joining them before the original Roadster was produced and staying as the head of marketing until after the Model S was introduced. She spent over a half hour on the phone with me, discussing production timelines, what decisions have and have not been made yet about design and features, and telling me how the internal debate stood on those issues not yet resolved. She also peppered me with questions about which features mattered most to me and why, especially as I have bought two Teslas. As we were wrapping up, she put a note on her calendar to call me in April when they have the ordering timelines more clearly in view and more final design decisions in place.

It was a very adult experience.
Feels like they hired the marketing person from Mini Cooper. Same corporate shlock. I had a mini and it’s almost verbatim on practicing your wave have a buddy shotgun etc. That was a mini this is a 90k Rivian. I prefer they say nothing than do college marketing classes in public.

Please please have adult engineers....lol.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Feels like they hired the marketing person from Mini Cooper.
You nailed it. Since the beginning of 2019 the Chief Marketing Officer of Rivian is Chris Wollen. He used to be the CMO of Droga5, an advertising firm which landed the Mini account in early 2018.

It's a very interesting contrast with Lucid. I find that interviews with R. J. Scaringe at Rivian are generally quite substantive and as informative as they can be given that they're still in start-mode. On the other hand, I find that interviews with Peter Rawlinson, the CEO of Lucid, are rife with vague platitudes about "changing paradigms" and other mumbo jumbo. Yet when it comes to the lead marketeers for the two companies, the situation seems to reverse.
Sponsored

Last edited: