Sponsored

Rivian trademarks TANK TURN! Now with official video.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
It would make the rear "whip around" in a tighter radius than without.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
If I'm understanding this correctly, this is about more than just spinning the wheels in opposite directions. It also involves angling the wheels in opposition at each end. Does that mean that Rivian has steering mechanisms on both ends of the vehicle and that each wheel has an independent steering mechanism from the wheel opposite? If so, that's a lot of mechanical and electronic complexity (and probably added weight) just to accomplish something like a tank turn, which is more a carnival trick than something the vast majority of users would ever need.

No matter how much planning and attention Rivian applies to production start-up, there are inevitably going to be some glitches and missteps that make it into the hands of early buyers. With four motors and driveshafts and related controls and 7-12 battery modules with a novel cooling system, it is already a complex underside. Adding marginal features that add significant complexity -- especially at launch when the quick establishment of a reputation for reliability will be critical -- is just an invitation to trouble.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
If I'm understanding this correctly, this is about more than just spinning the wheels in opposite directions. It also involves angling the wheels in opposition at each end. Does that mean that Rivian has steering mechanisms on both ends of the vehicle and that each wheel has an independent steering mechanism from the wheel opposite? If so, that's a lot of mechanical and electronic complexity (and probably added weight) just to accomplish something like a tank turn, which is more a carnival trick than something the vast majority of users would ever need.

No matter how much planning and attention Rivian applies to production start-up, there are inevitably going to be some glitches and missteps that make it into the hands of early buyers. With four motors and driveshafts and related controls and 7-12 battery modules with a novel cooling system, it is already a complex underside. Adding marginal features that add significant complexity -- especially at launch when the quick establishment of a reputation for reliability will be critical -- is just an invitation to trouble.
There are no steering components in the rear of the vehicle. Tank Mode is only intended for use off-road, where the grip is reduced, allowing the wheels to spin with less stress to the drive components. Brian (Gase, Chief Engineer of Special Projects) told me that if you do this on pavement you will break shit.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just curious, who/how would you like this to be confirmed? I'm passing along what the "Rivian R1S team lead" told me last month. Perhaps he was mistaken. Or perhaps things have changed from those year old videos. Perhaps since then with further testing Rivian has uncovered problems that need to be worked out? ... hence the comment from the Rivian team lead ... a month ago. We have no idea how far along they are with this feature being production ready if at all.
Just someone officially stating that the feature won't be added. There is quite a bit of speculation and hearsay, as well as confusion amongst Rivian staff, but nothing official. From my conversations with Brian and RJ in both NYC and Seattle, I have gotten no indication that the feature has been shelved.

Sponsored

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There are no steering components in the rear of the vehicle. Tank Mode is only intended for use off-road, where the grip is reduced, allowing the wheels to spin with less stress to the drive components. Brian (Gase, Chief Engineer of Special Projects) told me that if you do this on pavement you will break shit.
Oh, okay. So it's going to work differently from the Jeep Hurricane's system illustrated earlier.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Just someone officially stating that the feature won't be added. There is quite a bit of speculation and hearsay, as well as confusion amongst Rivian staff, but nothing official. From my conversations with Brian and RJ in both NYC and Seattle, I have gotten no indication that the feature has been shelved.
I hear you about Rivian making official statements. I try to avoid hearsay, speculation and the occasional WAGs as it usually creates more confusion than helps. So unless the information is from an official Rivian source, e,g, their website, email, youtube, recorded interviews, social media, employee, I take the info with a grain of salt and usually avoid passing it along until it's confirmed by a Rivian source.

I was not implying the tank turn was shelved but instead providing some possible reasons behind why the Rivian team lead said what he said. For that matter, short of anyone that had personal conversations with Rivian staff, I don't recall Rivian ever making any official statement or documenting that tank turns would be possible / available with the R1T or R1S. If they did I either missed it or just not recalling it.

Trademarks, patents and the like are filed to protect a company's IP from the competition. It's not uncommon sometimes for the public to consume this as a function/idea/term as something that WILL be implemented. Quite often companies will make these submissions and have no immediate plans to implement/use. Case in point is Rivian's auxiliary battery patent. A byproduct sometimes from trademarks/patent filings is free marketing, and for Rivian there has been no shortage of that. We'll all know soon enough when the online configurator becomes available unless of course Rivian makes an official announcement beforehand. So until then "tank turn" IMO is just a trademark and no more, at least with respect to the R1T/R1S.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trademarks, patents and the like are filed to protect a company's IP from the competition. It's not uncommon sometimes for the public to consume this as a function/idea/term as something that WILL be implemented. Quite often companies will make these submissions and have no immediate plans to implement/use. Case in point is Rivian's auxiliary battery patent. A byproduct sometimes from trademarks/patent filings is free marketing, and for Rivian there has been no shortage of that. We'll all know soon enough when the online configurator becomes available unless of course Rivian makes an official announcement beforehand. So until then "tank turn" IMO is just a trademark and no more, at least with respect to the R1T/R1S.
I couldn't agree more.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

If I'm understanding this correctly, this is about more than just spinning the wheels in opposite directions. It also involves angling the wheels in opposition at each end. Does that mean that Rivian has steering mechanisms on both ends of the vehicle and that each wheel has an independent steering mechanism from the wheel opposite?
I was just highlighting the fact that in order for you to not destroy tires, Rivian would have to use the Jeep method of Tank Turn. Rivian on the other hand literally uses a tank style turning method. Imagine that there are tank treads connecting the front and rear tires on both sides. The left side moves forward while the right moves backwards allowing the truck to rotate. That is it. No tires turning to the left and right at all...

Last edited:

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yep, that's what I had originally assumed when this discussion started. However, the schematic of the Jeep system threw me, as I thought someone was suggesting that was the technique Rivian was going to use.

Sponsored

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
Rivian just gave us all something to be thankful about. They confirmed via their official Instagram account that Tank Turn WILL be an available option on the R1T and R1S.

Merry Christmas Rivian community!

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian trademarks TANK TURN! Now with official video. Screenshot_20191225-081107

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Twitter link w/ video

Cactusone

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
$5000 option. Ok

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles