Sponsored

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Any one planning on getting this or cross shopping the Mach-E GT Performance against the R1S ? I know one is full size vs the midsize of the Mach-E GT.
Feel like the Mach-E GT would have a more sportier drive dynamic compared to the R1S, which is something I like.

The GT is my 2nd choice right now, based on how I felt about the Mach-E, when I test drove of it.

I really liked how the Mach-E drove but felt was very slow, so hoping with the GT I can get a more sportier drive.
And I love the seats that come with the Performance Edition, which comes standard in Canada.

The only issues I have is the Ford UI, which is very laggy for my taste, as well as the protruding centre screen.
I like a comfortable centre console to rest my leg against, and with the Mach-E, you have this sharp console, which can get uncomfortable.

Also, price wise, the GT is a good 30K cheaper with taxes in.

What is the general consensus of the Mach-E GT ?
Sponsored

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Any one planning on getting this or cross shopping the Mach-E GT Performance against the R1S ? I know one is full size vs the midsize of the Mach-E GT.
Feel like the Mach-E GT would have a more sportier drive dynamic compared to the R1S, which is something I like.

The GT is my 2nd choice right now, based on how I felt about the Mach-E, when I test drove of it.

I really liked how the Mach-E drove but felt was very slow, so hoping with the GT I can get a more sportier drive.
And I love the seats that come with the Performance Edition, which comes standard in Canada.

The only issues I have is the Ford UI, which is very laggy for my taste, as well as the protruding centre screen.
I like a comfortable centre console to rest my leg against, and with the Mach-E, you have this sharp console, which can get uncomfortable.

Seems Sandy M. Had a lot to say about all the hoses and cooling systems. Worth a look.

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Rivian R1T LE
I was a very early (first day) reservation holder planning to get the GT with Performance package. A couple of months ago, when it was time to convert reservation to order, I decided to cancel thinking Iā€™d be getting my late reservation LE by the end of this year ... and even if delayed a bit in Q1 of 2022. I was willing to wait a few extra months on the R1S for a number of reasons over the GT.
However, now that Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ll get that late LE in summer of 2022, Iā€™m kicking myself. If Ford would allow me to get my place in queue back, Iā€™d switch back.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
I was a very early (first day) reservation holder planning to get the GT with Performance package. A couple of months ago, when it was time to convert reservation to order, I decided to cancel thinking Iā€™d be getting my late reservation LE by the end of this year ... and even if delayed a bit in Q1 of 2022. I was willing to wait a few extra months on the R1S for a number of reasons over the GT.
However, now that Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ll get that late LE in summer of 2022, Iā€™m kicking myself. If Ford would allow me to get my place in queue back, Iā€™d switch back.
Ha, you did the same thing I did. I also canceled my GT performance order because I thought the launch edition R1T would be coming by the end of this year. I did recently have my dealer place another order for me that I didnā€™t need to put any money down on, so now itā€™s just a waiting game on which comes first.

If I can get a test drive with a R1T I might be willing to wait until next year as well, just need to know more.

OP
OP
rraj2k81

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Seems Sandy M. Had a lot to say about all the hoses and cooling systems. Worth a look.
Yeah I saw that too, and for a moment it did scare the heck out of me. But then I realized my almost 12 year old Audi with 250000 KMs has as many if not more hoses than that thing, and I only replaced a coolant hose last year.

The way I look at it, with Tesla's cooling system you have a single fault and you may have to replace the entire unit (Depending on the fault/leak), but with Ford a leak or fault can be attributed towards a single replaceable part, which for me is a better user friendly cost effective solution. Imagine having to replace the Tesla cooling system out of warranty. That single part alone will cost thousands !

EDIT : This is one of the reason why I take Sandy's review with a grain of salt. He is more about production efficiency and cost savings, rather than user friendliness and repairability.

It might take a generation for traditional car makers to rethink these type of things. Hopefully Ford will rethink their cooling system soon to reduce the number of parts to a more manageable amount.

We still do not know how Rivian will be managing their cooling systems.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rraj2k81

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Ha, you did the same thing I did. I also canceled my GT performance order because I thought the launch edition R1T would be coming by the end of this year. I did recently have my dealer place another order for me that I didnā€™t need to put any money down on, so now itā€™s just a waiting game on which comes first.

If I can get a test drive with a R1T I might be willing to wait until next year as well, just need to know more.
Good your dealer is accepting pre-orders without any money down. All the Ontario, Canada Ford dealers are asking for a CAD$5000 non-refundable deposit !

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

How is it 30k cheaper in canada? Is it because Rivian hasn't adjusted its pricing there? In the US, it's only a 5-10k difference between them.

Re repairability, that shitty tesla cooling tube is enough reason to be wary of dealing with Tesla.

OP
OP
rraj2k81

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
How is it 30k cheaper in canada? Is it because Rivian hasn't adjusted its pricing there? In the US, it's only a 5-10k difference between them.

Re repairability, that shitty tesla cooling tube is enough reason to be wary of dealing with Tesla.
The pricing was updated a while ago, but we have a 13% tax here in Ontario.

The Mach-E GT with taxes comes around 100K
The Rivian R1S as configured with taxes comes in around 127K .

Plus there is a new luxury tax coming in to play next year for vehicles over 100K, so the Rivian will be taxed that for us. I did not factor that in, because no one has a clue how this is going to work :).

Also, I did not take into account any financing rates because do not know what Rivian will be offering.
Ford is offering 4% for 72 months right now for the Mach-E GT.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Good your dealer is accepting pre-orders without any money down. All the Ontario, Canada Ford dealers are asking for a CAD$5000 non-refundable deposit !
Wow, that is a lot higher than the $500 USD the US dealers are charging for reservations! Yeah, my dealer basically told me that they would order it no money down because even if I didn't accept it they could sell it to somebody else easy enough, so its good I don't have to put more money out.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

I like the Mach-E, itā€™s got a great price point, lots of standard features, you can get Blue Cruise as an option on even the base model (not an option on Lightning until Lariat).

The issue with the Mach-E is that itā€™s not really a cross over. Yes, it looks like one, but it is not rated to tow and it has less ground clearance than a Mustang GT. That makes it difficult to cross shop with a true SUV like the R1S. If my family decides to get a hatchback or sedan, the Mach E is definitely on our shopping list.

Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Could not have said it better! Thank you. What many of these, apparently non-engineers take away from Sandy Munro, is very much missing a lot of what he is saying. These are EVs, super-efficient with very little power (Kw energy) to move them to say in comparison to an ICE vehicle. Weight is critical. So to just through the parts bin at the Mach-E vs from scratch engineering to save weight and improve efficiency is typical Detroit mentality. By the way, Ford said they put their best engineers on the Mach-E. We haven't yet seen, but I would guess Rivian has done a lot of similar missteps just looking at what the Max pack (around 6,300 lbs) weights. A mid-size pick-up at 6,300 lbs! If CyberTruck Tri-Motor comes in around 5,300 lbs, which is very possible, that 1,000 lbs is a huge difference and advantage.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Could have sworn that a R1T with max pack weighed in at 5700 lbs. Where/when was the extra 500lbs factored in?

And if it's true that a Max Pack r1t breaks the 3 ton weight, that's till massively impressive that it (supposedly) does 0-60 mph in 3 secs. Still, she's gunna be a heavy biznatch.

Last edited:

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Could have sworn that a R1T with max pack weighed in at 5700 lbs. Where/when was the extra 500lbs factored in?

And if it's true that a Max Pack r1t breaks the 3 ton weight limit, that's till massively impressive that it (supposedly) does 0-60 mph in 3 secs. Still, she's gunna be a heavy biznatch.
Who really knows since they have not published any numbers, but CS told me months ago, the mid pack or now large is 5,900 lbs and the Max was ~400 lbs more. Is that why Rivian is keeping the payload so low? What is it, 1,750? Keeping it under 8,500 lbs. Cybertruck Tri-Motor has a 3,500 payload.