Sponsored

1st deliveries in November says my Rivian Guide. Communication from RJ expected today

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
@Shzeph & @Khaneric , I'd be curious whether you have received updated/different timeframes as well!
Nope, i haven't heard anything else. I sent her an email in early June asking her some additional questions and didn't get much. Many of my main questions (one of which is VERY unique to me and a possible deal breaker) are still left unanswered.

I've never been told anything about a delivery date other then keeping the off-road package would make it come quicker (which i declined).
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
@godfodder0901 , I'm curious if you've spoken to your guide since the delay announcement...what is your revised delivery window?
I spoke to him the day before and the day of (right after) the delay announcement. While my window (which started in mid-August) must shrink a bit, he said that they will do everything in their power to honor the window I was provided (mid-Aug to Sep.) but that he has not been provided an updated/changed window.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
@Shzeph & @Khaneric , I'd be curious whether you have received updated/different timeframes as well!
I just was texting with my guide. She said that thereā€™s been no change to my approximate delivery window (so still ā€œNovember but possibly earlierā€) but that she would reach out immediately if anything changed

loudOrange

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250
Well after asking the CS manager who has been my contact for a couple of months if Rivian is still committed to delivering all LE by 6/30/2022 and getting no response, I bought a 2019 BMW 13s REX from what seems like a very solid dealer in CO - Schomp.

Update - CS manager emailed me back a few minutes ago and indicated LE editions are "planned to be completed by Spring 2022."

OK, so you're thinking WTF? a tiny weird looking totally not-capable electric thing with really limited range?

Well, hear me out.

I owned a 2014 and then a 2015 ReX version - the one with the BMW 750cc motorcycle engine that acts as a generator when you run out of electrons. LOVED IT. I drove it 300+ miles many times - had to stop every hour or so to fill up the tiny gas tank - but hey, we old guys could do with frequent stops anyway.

The new version gets about 200 miles between recharges/fillups, so I'll have to get used to holding it...
Super reliable, fun to drive, and very green.

That's what got me to make the move. The longer I drive my ICEs - 2008 A4Avant manual with chip, upgraded turbo, exhaust, S4 suspension and brakes, and 2000 F250 7.3 diesel - and the more I look at our granddaughter - she who will not see glaciers - the more compelling it became.

That and Rivian's just awful communications. I cannot wait for my electric truck - got an order in on a Lightning - but have lost a LOT of confidence in Rivian. When CS can't even confirm I'm going to get my new truck by next year, and doesn't respond when I ask a reasonable question, well, screw it. That's not a CS issue, it is a C-suite and Board issue.

I do hope to get a Rivian, but I'm past believing anything that comes out of Normal.

btw I have a 1/30/2019 rez.

Last edited:

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
I find it interesting the armchair quarterbacks on this site are nattering about how Rivian could have planned for these shortages of parts and such.. but seem to be ignoring that GM is releasing trucks with missing options, Ford can't get trucks to dealers, Stellantis, BMW, and other legacy car makers are announcing they are idling lines.. all because of the same thing.

Yet somehow, Rivian (a startup) should have been able to plan and communications for these shortages in such a way that, in no way, could those plans be interrupted or disrupted by further issues within the supply chains and those communications... wrong.

That's not to say their communication plan is stellar and bullet proof... it's not, it's a bit of a shitshow (but then again, so is pretty much every other start up EV). I preordered a F150 Lightening as well (just to get in the queue), and the dealer reached out to me and let me know, they know nothing, they have no dates, they have no actual prices... and that's been it.

I don't think anyone really knows how to forecast or plan around this all, and I don't view it as malice on their part, so much as they literally have no idea what, when, where, or how.

In the meantime, I'm glad they are banging the hell out of those trucks, so that we don't get to be the next Chevy Bolt, Kia Niro, Hyundai Kona... or hell... Tesla with the back window falling out while going down the highway.

Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Just a reminder how RJ said, ā€œweā€™re supply constrained for a very long timeā€. I know everyone keeps talking chips, what about battery constraints?

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
I find it interesting the armchair quarterbacks on this site are nattering about how Rivian could have planned for these shortages of parts and such.. but seem to be ignoring that GM is releasing trucks with missing options, Ford can't get trucks to dealers, Stellantis, BMW, and other legacy car makers are announcing they are idling lines.. all because of the same thing.

Yet somehow, Rivian (a startup) should have been able to plan and communications for these shortages in such a way that, in no way, could those plans be interrupted or disrupted by further issues within the supply chains and those communications... wrong.

That's not to say their communication plan is stellar and bullet proof... it's not, it's a bit of a shitshow (but then again, so is pretty much every other start up EV). I preordered a F150 Lightening as well (just to get in the queue), and the dealer reached out to me and let me know, they know nothing, they have no dates, they have no actual prices... and that's been it.

I don't think anyone really knows how to forecast or plan around this all, and I don't view it as malice on their part, so much as they literally have no idea what, when, where, or how.

In the meantime, I'm glad they are banging the hell out of those trucks, so that we don't get to be the next Chevy Bolt, Kia Niro, Hyundai Kona... or hell... Tesla with the back window falling out while going down the highway.
And RJ has communicated that personally to the customers and that's still not good enough. I completely understand peoples frustration and disappointment, but It feels like there are a bunch of spoiled or entitled children on here

Kmann1994

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Head of Product
Well after asking the CS manager who has been my contact for a couple of months if Rivian is still committed to delivering all LE by 6/30/2022 and getting no response, I bought a 2019 BMW 13s REX from what seems like a very solid dealer in CO - Schomp.

Update - CS manager emailed me back a few minutes ago and indicated LE editions are "planned to be completed by Spring 2022."

OK, so you're thinking WTF? a tiny weird looking totally not-capable electric thing with really limited range?

Well, hear me out.

I owned a 2014 and then a 2015 ReX version - the one with the BMW 750cc motorcycle engine that acts as a generator when you run out of electrons. LOVED IT. I drove it 300+ miles many times - had to stop every hour or so to fill up the tiny gas tank - but hey, we old guys could do with frequent stops anyway.

The new version gets about 200 miles between recharges/fillups, so I'll have to get used to holding it...
Super reliable, fun to drive, and very green.

That's what got me to make the move. The longer I drive my ICEs - 2008 A4Avant manual with chip, upgraded turbo, exhaust, S4 suspension and brakes, and 2000 F250 7.3 diesel - and the more I look at our granddaughter - she who will not see glaciers - the more compelling it became.

That and Rivian's just awful communications. I cannot wait for my electric truck - got an order in on a Lightning - but have lost a LOT of confidence in Rivian. When CS can't even confirm I'm going to get my new truck by next year, and doesn't respond when I ask a reasonable question, well, screw it. That's not a CS issue, it is a C-suite and Board issue.

I do hope to get a Rivian, but I'm past believing anything that comes out of Normal.

btw I have a 1/30/2019 rez.
Sure was a hell of a lot of words and over-explaining to communicate what sounded like effectively you trying to convince yourself you didnā€™t make a compromise by getting something other than a Rivian.

Good luck with the weird BMW, man. Weā€™ll all continue being patient over hereā€¦

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Just a reminder how RJ said, ā€œweā€™re supply constrained for a very long timeā€. I know everyone keeps talking chips, what about battery constraints?
Batteries, Semi-Conductors, hell... even paint. Seriously, I can't buy more then 1 gallon of paint at a time from Sherwin Williams right now because of the chaos in Texas closing down/messing up the paint production down there. I asked the dude what the hell I was supposed to do with a gallon of paint "Paint an accent wall" he told me.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
And RJ has communicated that personally to the customers and that's still not good enough.
Some feel his message was too little, too late. They feel Rivian knew production would be delayed, quite a bit earlier than RJ's announcement, but chose not to reveal that information until now.

I completely understand peoples frustration and disappointment
I can't question your understanding, which you may very well understand their frustration and disappointment. However, to truly understand it, I personally believe you need to have a pre-order date more than 2-1/2 years ago. My pre-order date is 2 yr and 5 months ago and I can only imagine their frustration. IMO, their frustration is from lack of communication from Rivian, which was addressed in RJ's email. We'll have to wait and see how that plays out. Definitely not good so far. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Rivian knows their monthly pre-order rate and they could very well determine approximately how many final sales they would have, but chose not to have sufficient inventory on hand to fill these orders, prior to the Pandemic shutdowns. There may be a good reason not to have supplies, I don't know. However, they supposedly have enough inventory to keep Amazon Vans on schedule and produce hundreds of test vehicles, but can't currently manufacture any for their reservationist. Were their resources diverted to producing the Amazon Vans?

If they're running two separate manufacturing lines, one for Amazon Vans and one for the R1's, and there are equipment failures, it must be on the R1 production side, because I've not heard of any delays for the Amazon Van. I have no problem if Amazon is produced first. However, I haven't seen any announced delay for them. Surely some of their supplies would have been affected by the Pandemic too, but apparently not.

.....but It feels like there are a bunch of spoiled or entitled children on here
I can't disagree with your feelings. We're all "entitled" to our feelings and a deposit refund, but that's about it. I can only say that I don't view it as you do, and I could very well be wrong, but I see people that would like to have a Rivian and are venting their frustration from lack of communication. I don't see them as spoiled, or entitled.

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T

So is it OK to complain about the complainers complaining about complainers? Asking for a friend. ?ā€ā™‚

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Some feel his message was too little, too late. They feel Rivian knew production would be delayed, quite a bit earlier than RJ's announcement, but chose not to reveal that information until now.

I can't question your understanding, which you may very well understand their frustration and disappointment. However, to truly understand it, I personally believe you need to have a pre-order date more than 2-1/2 years ago. My pre-order date is 2 yr and 5 months ago and I can only imagine their frustration. IMO, their frustration is from lack of communication from Rivian, which was addressed in RJ's email. We'll have to wait and see how that plays out. Definitely not good so far. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Rivian knows their monthly pre-order rate and they could very well determine approximately how many final sales they would have, but chose not to have sufficient inventory on hand to fill these orders, prior to the Pandemic shutdowns. There may be a good reason not to have supplies, I don't know. However, they supposedly have enough inventory to keep Amazon Vans on schedule and produce hundreds of test vehicles, but can't currently manufacture any for their reservationist. Were their resources diverted to producing the Amazon Vans?

If they're running two separate manufacturing lines, one for Amazon Vans and one for the R1's, and there are equipment failures, it must be on the R1 production side, because I've not heard of any delays for the Amazon Van. I have no problem if Amazon is produced first. However, I haven't seen any announced delay for them. Surely some of their supplies would have been affected by the Pandemic too, but apparently not.

I can't disagree with your feelings. We're all "entitled" to our feelings and a deposit refund, but that's about it. I can only say that I don't view it as you do, and I could very well be wrong, but I see people that would like to have a Rivian and are venting their frustration from lack of communication. I don't see them as spoiled, or entitled.
All I will say in response is if people expected smooth sailing with a startup EV company, than their expectations were off. And secondly, the pandemic has effected all industries. Obviously there is a great deal of division in our country regarding the pandemic and I think that plays into peoples understanding on its short and long term impact. We tend to be a society that needs instant gratification. That isnā€™t helping the situation. Educated adults should be able to look at the situation and understand whatā€™s going on. If you are unhappy there is a refund waiting for you. Otherwise sit back and wait, because options are limited. Iā€™m not seeing any F150s, Lucid air, cybertrucks, or hummers rolling off the assembly line. Rivian honestly does not owe you anything. They maybe have $30,000,000-50,000,000 in reservation money. How much did Amazon, Ford, Blackrock, ect invest?? Who do you think they answer to really?

Last edited:

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
All I will say in response is if people expected smooth sailing with a startup EV company, than their expectations were off. And secondly, the pandemic has effected all industries. Obviously there is a great deal of division in our country regarding the pandemic and I think that plays into peoples understanding on its short and long term impact. We tend to be a society that needs instant gratification. That isnā€™t helping the situation. Educated adults should be able to look at the situation and understand whatā€™s going on. If you are unhappy there is a refund waiting for you. Otherwise sit back and wait, because options are limited. Iā€™m not seeing any F150s, Lucid air, cybertrucks, or hummers rolling off the assembly line. Rivian honestly does not owe you anything. They maybe have $300,000-500,000 grand in reservation money. How much did Amazon, Ford, Blackrock, ect invest?? Who do you think they answer to really?
I agree with what you said, but I think the reservation numbers are a bit higher arenā€™t they? Some Google results show over 50k of pre-orders. That would be over $50,000,000. Still not nearly as much as the Amazon investment initially. Anyone know what each van will cost Amazon? I wonder if RIVIAN will make more from the R1T/S sales or the Amazon vans.
Sponsored