Sponsored

Weird, R1's are delayed yet again, but amazon van has no delays?

Dersies

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
How do we know that Amazon vans aren’t delayed? Yeah, there are some beginning to be seen on the roads, but there seem to be as many, if not more, R1T and R1S test mules on the road. It’s not like there are thousands (or even hundreds) of Rivian vans in the wild yet.

For the Rivian vans, they have to please one customer with one set of expectations. For R1, they have to please thousands of customers with highly varying expectations. That, to me, adds a lot of complexity to the actual rollout process.
To be honest in California the electric infrastructure is not able to accommodate the amount t of electric vehicles they want to charge. In the Santa Rosa area they plan for upwards of 10MW of load!
Sponsored

Greenwater

First Name
Green
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Occupation
software engineer
To be honest in California the electric infrastructure is not able to accommodate the amount t of electric vehicles they want to charge. In the Santa Rosa area they plan for upwards of 10MW of load!
I've heard similar stories about ev electric needs in other places but since most charging will be done at night, it shouldn't impact the grid that much - I thought, anyway.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
PG&E is a prime example of why public utilities should not be shareholder driven private sector companies.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
PG&E is a prime example of why public utilities should not be shareholder driven private sector companies.
Not to mention that Enron fiasco.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
I don't know how many Amazon vans have been produced so far, but I believe Rivian said several hundred R1T test vehicles have been manufactured. If there's a chip shortage, then Rivian only ordered enough for these vehicles and immediately ran out, or depleted their inventory to where manufacturing any more trucks wouldn't be worthwhile.
Several hundred? Any publication documenting such ad statement?

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
RJ's email from this week:

Our plant in Normal, IL has two separate production lines currently producing vehicles, one for the R1 vehicles (initially R1T and R1S) and one for our commercial vans. We have now built hundreds of vehicles as part of our validation process, with many of those spotted out in the wild covered in unique vinyl wraps. I have been asked why we aren’t delivering those vehicles or why we continue to test rather than deliver. We believe it is critical to both our long-term success and your ultimate satisfaction that the quality and robustness of our launch products truly sets the tone for what to expect from us as a brand.
Is "hundreds of vehicles" the same as "several hundred"? Maybe?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

Dersies

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
I wouldn't blame a single utility. The whole country will be scrambling to build infrastructure. California is seeing a boom in EV charging, solar installations, cannabis growing and dangerous wildfires all in very rural areas that no one would have expected to the growth we are seeing.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I wouldn't blame a single utility. The whole country will be scrambling to build infrastructure. California is seeing a boom in EV charging, solar installations, cannabis growing and dangerous wildfires all in very rural areas that no one would have expected to the growth we are seeing.
Don’t forget Bitcoin mining!

OP
OP
_evtrk

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

I find it a little weird that he R1T and R1S are delayed for what ever reason yet the Amazon vans aren't. makes me think this isn't a chip issue but something else
maybe epa figures aren't up to par or something specific to R1's ? or is it maybe they have a hard deadline for specific amount of amazon vans that need to be out by end of year?

I dont know, just speculating here. but i would like to hear out other peoples opinion on this.

To add to this, anyone find it even weirder that CS is saying that only the R1T are delayed and not the R1S ? In the configurator the R1S still says January 2022 for non launch edition while R1T now say Spring 2022.

They seem to use a lot of the same part/components aside from maybe the bed area, could the bed components maybe the reason for the delay?

Sponsored

rydb

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE
Clubs

Putting things together, I suspect the van production line was already in place, and they're likely a hell of a lot easier to make. If delay was actually due to getting production lines for the R1 series setup, this makes sense. It also makes sense from a sourcing standpoint for the R1 series. They could very well deliver the vans to Amazon with minimal everything with Amazon accepting that to get vans in hand. Or it could be a pretty basic box to begin with. If anything, I'm glad that the vans aren't delayed. It continues bringing revenue into Rivian, gives them more experience producing vehicles, and gets more EV delivery vans on streets. Plus it shows that they actually can produce vehicles.
This

the vans don’t have complicated interiors or probably anywhere near the complexity in the body either. The R1 could well be delayed because they’re still ironing out issues with them while the much simpler box on skateboard that is the van is closer to ready for mass production.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
Thanks for asking. The two posts immediately following your post should answer your question. Thanks to the other two for the follow up.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Eh, I wouldn't say exactly the only shot. California is a Loooonng coastal state. Why they haven't researched into harvesting all that hydro-electric ocean wave energy (which, admittedly, it's not as simple to do) is surprising to me. They manage to tap into that, it would be one heck of a renewable energy source not just for Cali, but for that region of the States. I'm hoping Texas and Florida (especially Florida) tap into that soon too.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Eh, I wouldn't say exactly the only shot. California is a Loooonng coastal state. Why they haven't researched into harvesting all that hydro-electric ocean wave energy (which, admittedly, it's not as simple to do) is surprising to me. They manage to tap into that, it would be one heck of a renewable energy source not just for Cali, but for that region of the States. I'm hoping Texas and Florida (especially Florida) tap into that soon too.
That's a great idea. First they have to get the fossil fuel industry to have less power over the legislature. No way Texas or even Florida consider wave energy until the fossil fuel industries grip on those states is broken. It's a sad situation.
Sponsored