Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
I thought this nicely done video might be helpful for those new to EVs and those accustom to using Super chargers & DCFC.
This is what it's "really like" to travel electric in places where DCFC is not available. Until there are DCFCers on every corner, like gas stations now, you will need to plan well and understand what your Rivian can, and can't, do and how charging will impact your travel. I worry a bit about those new to EVs expecting it to be like driving ICE today.
Also, gives you a good idea how roof-top tents, gear and towing will impact your Rivian travel.
It's a long video, but does give you a very good feel for traveling away from the Superchargers/Rivian Charging Networks what it will be like for the next few years until charging infrastructure is built out.
Plan, be patient, don't be in a hurry and carry cash!!
Electric Travel Without A Charging Network - Across Montana

Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Love Montana. Makes we want to take a trip back to Glacier for sure!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, eGolf
Also, gives you a good idea how roof-top tents, gear and towing will impact your Rivian travel.
Cutting his range in half with the RTT! I was looking into getting a nice RTT, but after watching this video I was convinced the advantages aren't worth it, and that's before considering such a big range impact. Maybe it's not as significant on the R1T since it's tucked behind the cab.

Edit: Later in the video he seems to contradict himself and says 20-25% range hit with the RTT.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Cutting his range in half with the RTT! I was looking into getting a nice RTT, but after watching this video I was convinced the advantages aren't worth it, and that's before considering such a big range impact. Maybe it's not as significant on the R1T since it's tucked behind the cab.
Exactly! People need to understand these kinds of impacts on driving. He did talk a bit about how slowing down reduced the range impact quite a bit, though. All this impacts ICE cars too, but you don't worry about it as much because there's a gas station on every corner. When the charging network is built out, concerns for EVs will go away.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(

Edit: Later in the video he seems to contradict himself and says 20-25% range hit with the RTT.
He said at 70mph he was averaging 500 Wh/mile. Normally the Model Y should get 280-300 Wh/mile at that speed. At slower speeds, the hit won't be as big a %. It sounds like most of the trip they were going 40-45mph, not 70.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
@IronChefBoyardee another Austinite! There's a growing number of us here, which is cool. Also, love the screen name BTW!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, eGolf
He said at 70mph he was averaging 500 Wh/mile. Normally the Model Y should get 280-300 Wh/mile at that speed. At slower speeds, the hit won't be as big a %. It sounds like most of the trip they were going 40-45mph, not 70.
I was confused by how he said it was a 50% hit and they'll be driving slow. Didn't catch where he said that was for 70mph, but that does make sense for it to be 50% at highway speeds and 20% at 40mph.

Conclusion is the same though, RTT is a huge impact making it impractical. This makes a nice Youtube video test but no one wants to travel the country at 40mph right?

When the charging network is built out, concerns for EVs will go away.
Maybe, but with all the other disadvantages to RTT's that I've been reading up on, I don't think I'd ever accept a 50% hit on range. Even if you could charge up in 5 minutes it would still get annoying.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Maybe, but with all the other disadvantages to RTT's that I've been reading up on, I don't think I'd ever accept a 50% hit on range.
It won't be 50%.
He did a 70 mph test when first fitted:

Rivian R1T R1S Adventure EV Travel in the Dead Zones NO DCFC--NEMA 14-50 & RV Parks 1626364281767

Mounting a tent on top of an aero optimized vehicle like the Model Y will likely have a greater range penalty than mounting one in the bed of an R1T.

Rivian tested a massive 11K pound trailer and reported a 50% range hit. I doubt that a 130 lb tent mounted below roof height will come even close to that.

Like most anything else, RTTs have their advantages and disadvantages. Yes, it can be a little fussy to level the vehicle (hoping Rivian enables an auto level feature), but have you ever tried leveling the spot where you need to pitch a ground tent? You also have to worry about "flat" as well as "level" - humps, bumps or a dish shape are common issues with ground tents.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, eGolf
It won't be 50%.
He did a 70 mph test when first fitted:

1626364281767.png

Mounting a tent on top of an aero optimized vehicle like the Model Y will likely have a greater range penalty than mounting one in the bed of an R1T.

Rivian tested a massive 11K pound trailer and reported a 50% range hit. I doubt that a 130 lb tent mounted below roof height will come even close to that.

Like most anything else, RTTs have their advantages and disadvantages. Yes, it can be a little fussy to level the vehicle (hoping Rivian enables an auto level feature), but have you ever tried leveling the spot where you need to pitch a ground tent? You also have to worry about "flat" as well as "level" - humps, bumps or a dish shape are common issues with ground tents.
He said in the video posted above, his Wh/mi is almost 500 with the RTT (on that trip?). I guess it could be other factors such as the weather and elevation. 20% range hit seems more realistic. Agreed with your point about R1T having less impact than Model Y or R1S.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Wh/mi ~ density*Area*Cd*Speed*Speed

In words, the energy per mile you give up to drag is proportional to the air density times the area exposed to the slip stream times the coefficient of drag times the square of the speed. Look at your Tesla from the side. It's shaped that way to get the smallest possible Cd and Area. Stick something on top and both the area and the Cd are increased. Now drive in cold dry air at high speed and you have all the conditions required for Wh/mi to go up and the range down. In your Rivian, don't put stuff on the roof (including the roof rack rails). Put it in the bed and close the tonneau. You won't effect Wh/mi noticeably. The extra weight has a tiny effect (unless it's up hill all the way).
Sponsored

Last edited: