Sponsored

First production R1T samples for press to review?

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
Occupation
Finance
What's your view, will Rivian make the very first production R1Ts available for the press to review? It seems to me that this would be the logical way to go to get proper reviews that are also available to mass audiences (not just the likes of us enthusiasts who will find a review by a lucky R1T recipient who might post it to this forum, for example). If this ends up being the case, then we might be close to finding out a lot more about the R1T from a Fully Charged video or Motor Trend article. Fingers crossed...
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
As far as I can tell, it doesn't appear that they're planning a press fleet. At least initially. Hopefully that's wrong.

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
As far as I can tell, it doesn't appear that they're planning a press fleet. At least initially. Hopefully that's wrong.

There is ZERO chance that a new manufacturer would not give a vehicle to MT, C&D, Doug Demuro etc. Itd be launch suicide. Its millions of $ of free publicity.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

^^ IIRC Tesla does not at all. All EV reviews have been from owners of the actual car.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
There is ZERO chance that a new manufacturer would not give a vehicle to MT, C&D, Doug Demuro etc. Itd be launch suicide. Its millions of $ of free publicity.
No need to do so. Doug, for example, can easily review a customer's vehicle.

I hope that press is limited to the same test drive fleet as reservation holders, and that all deliveries go to actual customers, for at least several months.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
They're sold out for more than a year out (apparently). What's the value to them to having the first car go to reviewers? Why not wait till they have addressed quirks from consumers? Kyle Connor has mentioned Ford wouldn't grant him a Mach E press vehicle initially, which he thinks is because they knew he'd identify the early plug and charge issues. Hence he bought one with someone else.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I would like to see them do this, but based on how closely they keep,and manage information, I doubt they will.

Florida Boy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX300h, Toyota Tacoma
If the R1T is as good as they think, the value will be in the IPO. If they nail the launch and the sales, delivery, service and insurance experience they are going to disrupt an industry that is totally ripe for it.

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
No need to do so. Doug, for example, can easily review a customer's vehicle.

I hope that press is limited to the same test drive fleet as reservation holders, and that all deliveries go to actual customers, for at least several months.
Waiting to hear about the QUIRKS and FEATURES?

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Waiting to hear about the QUIRKS and FEATURES?

Him having reviewed my car when he lived back in DC was hilarious. He is in person how he is on video, a definite quirk and feature guy!!

Sponsored

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Him having reviewed my car when he lived back in DC was hilarious. He is in person how he is on video, a definite quirk and feature guy!!
Which car was it? He just seems like a cool guy to shoot the shit with

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
I don't think they should make the first batch just for reviewers, but within that first 6 months to a year they need to let these bigger review outlets have access to them. I don't care if it's RJs family R1S haha.

This culty crap of letting all your media exposure be positive YouTube videos from fanboys is silly. Let's see some objective, real world testing from folks without any bias. I put 10x more stock in the Edmunds and C&D Tesla tests and reviews than from a fanboy "news" site.

I want them to show the world that these are fantastic vehicles, the good with the bad so Rivian continues to improve

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I want them to show the world that these are fantastic vehicles, the good with the bad so Rivian continues to improve
Agreed. I actually don't have much interest from C&D (and to a lesser extent Edmund's) because I don't think either do a particularly great job with EVs so far, but do value getting a series of different relatively independent reviewers is really valuable to me. I'll gladly take a mix of OutofSpec, Edmunds, AA, and others. I just don't think that's happening day one unfortunately. However, I know at least a few are doing their own legwork to get cars from Rivian by either buying them, or getting them from people who are buying them for a period of time.
Sponsored