Sponsored

New Polestar 3 Sporty SUV

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I donā€™t frequent any political forums, but I wonder if those who do ever get into arguments over which vehicles are better? ā€˜Cause that would just seem like a total waste of time of those members who are there to discuss their political views.

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

This looks great, but as mentioned in a different thread, servicing for this is a real challenge: https://www.polestar.com/us/service-and-assistance/service-points/

You can get free pickup / delivery service in a 150mi bubble around Polestar Authorized Service Points in Manhattan, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Jose, with further locations coming, "s00n".

This isn't really something that is marketed to the vast majority of America and shouldn't be treated as such, unfortunately.

:(
I though Rivian had trademarked ā€œsoonā€! Polestar canā€™t say that!

Reactions: Rad

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Well, this thread got hijacked in a hurry, but it's been an entertaining read. Having been blocked by one of the hijackers here, in part for hijacking an earlier thread myself (to which I gleefully pled guilty), it made this even more interesting. All comments and inputs from HeWhoBlockedMe are invisible to me, so it wasn't until I logged out and took an outsider's view that I could fill in those blanks.

After originally reading the second comment: "Built in America but the profits will go to China. Parent company Geely", it reminded me of how bummed I was when I heard that Volvo was now Chinese-owned. That, in turn, reminded me of how bummed I was when I found out in the late 80's that Saab was now half-owned by GM (an American company), and bummed further (10 years later) when GM bought them out entirely, and turned that once proud Swedish company into a half-assed automaker (my opinion only). At least in my case, I felt the Swedes losing control and ownership of their Automotive heritage was sad, nothing more. I never once thought that my feelings of Saab being owned by an American company would, or could, be construed as racist. My hope is that the new owner's of Volvo have greater success with shepparding that brand than Saab experienced under new ownership.

We all know we live in a very global economy and that OEMs source their parts from all over the world and assemble their cars in many different countries. I was somewhat surprised to see a comment that an American-made model of a Swedish-born nameplate resulting in the profits going to China was somehow racist. It seemed to be more a statement of fact, much like an American company buying up the other big Swedish OEM. Fortunately, we have freedom of speech, something that isn't enjoyed by all, even in much larger nations.

Regarding the original subject, I can't wait to test drive the new Polestar 3. With the acceleration of an EV and Volvo's solid handling characteristics, it should be fairly sporty. The XC40 Recharge was surprisingly fast and fun to drive, courtesy of my local Volvo dealership. If the smallest EV variant in the Volvo family is any indication, I'll be surprised if the Polestar 3 and Polestar's customer experience aren't ultimately associated with "Luxury". Again, only my opinion.

I have a 2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design with the Polestar performance package. It's a wolf in sheep's clothing when I need it to be. The rest of the time, I find it to be a luxurious vehicle that is extremely comfortable, quiet, and well thought out. It serves me well every day of the year, whether it's 115ā°, or 15ā°. I love the fact that it doesn't attract the same level of attention a sexier sports car might, even though it shares similar performance capabilities. While my dealership experience has been hit or miss, that only involves a day or two each year. They're only a block from my office, so at least they're convenient. I wish that experience was as luxurious as the vehicle itself, but I'll bet Polestar nails the customer experience piece solidly. Like Rivian, they're building it from the ground up, using a clean sheet, a solid vision, and plenty of resources.

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Well, this thread got hijacked in a hurry, but it's been an entertaining read. Having been blocked by one of the hijackers here, in part for hijacking an earlier thread myself (to which I gleefully pled guilty), it made this even more interesting. All comments and inputs from HeWhoBlockedMe are invisible to me, so it wasn't until I logged out and took an outsider's view that I could fill in those blanks.

After originally reading the second comment: "Built in America but the profits will go to China. Parent company Geely", it reminded me of how bummed I was when I heard that Volvo was now Chinese-owned. That, in turn, reminded me of how bummed I was when I found out in the late 80's that Saab was now half-owned by GM (an American company), and bummed further (10 years later) when GM bought them out entirely, and turned that once proud Swedish company into a half-assed automaker (my opinion only). At least in my case, I felt the Swedes losing control and ownership of their Automotive heritage was sad, nothing more. I never once thought that my feelings of Saab being owned by an American company would, or could, be construed as racist.

We all know we live in a very global economy and that OEMs source their parts from all over the world and assemble their cars in many different countries. I was somewhat surprised to see a comment that an American-made model of a Swedish-born nameplate resulted in the profits going to China was somehow racist. It seemed to be more a statement of fact, much like an American company buying up the other big Swedish OEM. Fortunately, we have freedom of speech, something that isn't enjoyed by all, even in much larger nations.

Regarding the original subject, I can't wait to test drive the new Polestar 3. With the acceleration of an EV and Volvo's solid handling characteristics, it should be fairly sporty. The XC40 Recharge was surprisingly fast and fun to drive, courtesy of my local Volvo dealership. If the smallest EV variant in the Volvo family is any indication, I'll be surprised if the Polestar 3 and Polestar's customer experience aren't ultimately associated with "Luxury". Again, only my opinion.

I have a 2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design with the Polestar performance package. It's a wolf in sheep's clothing, when I need it to be. The rest of the time, I find it to be a luxurious vehicle that is extremely comfortable, quiet, and well thought out. It serves me well every day of the year, whether it's 115ā°, or 15ā°. I love the fact that it doesn't attract the same level of attention as a sexier sports car might, even though it shares similar performance capabilities. While my dealership experience is hit or miss, that only involves a day or two each year. They're only a block from my office, so at least they're convenient. I wish that experience was as luxurious as the vehicle itself, but I'll bet Polestar nails the customer experience piece solidly. Like Rivian, they're building it from the ground up from a clean sheet, with a solid vision, and plenty of resources.
Have you driven the polestar 2?
https://www.polestar.com/us/test-drive/booking/select-location?location-type&model=ps2

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
SeaGeo,

I have not, but would love to drive the dual-motor variant of the P2. I have yet to see a Polestar-branded vehicle in the wild. Have you seen or been able to test drive any of their stuff?
I haven't arranged a test drive, but have seen probably 5 driving around the Puget sound.

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
I test drove the Polestar 2 in Denver. Really like the interior with the natural materials and great color choices. Pretty fast car, loads of headroom (Iā€™m 6ā€™7) but otherwise more the size of an Audi A4 inside. Way better suspension and overall setup than a Tesla 3 and feels a lot more luxurious. Weird thing is that they offer the AWD setup only with summer tires and you have to buy all seasons separately. Not a great sell in a region like Colorado. Their leasing and financing program also seems to be super easy. My wife didnā€™t like the look and decided to get a Mini SE to zip around town.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I haven't arranged a test drive, but have seen probably 5 driving around the Puget sound.
Wow, that's great! I can't wait to catch one down here. Soon, I hope. ?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I test drove the Polestar 2 in Denver. Really like the interior with the natural materials and great color choices. Pretty fast car, loads of headroom (Iā€™m 6ā€™7) but otherwise more the size of an Audi A4 inside. Way better suspension and overall setup than a Tesla 3 and feels a lot more luxurious. Weird thing is that they offer the AWD setup only with summer tires and you have to buy all seasons separately. Not a great sell in a region like Colorado. Their leasing and financing program also seems to be super easy. My wife didnā€™t like the look and decided to get a Mini SE to zip around town.
lg3103,

That's good to hear about the roominess and attention to detail and trim work shown by Polestar in the 2. I'm also glad to hear about your driving experience in it. I trust, or at least hope their vehicles will be up there with the likes of Audi's EV models. Sorry to hear you weren't able to persuade your CAO to go with it, but the Mini SE should be fun Denver.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING: THREAD HIJACKING ABOUT TO TAKE PLACE.
FOR THOSE SENSITIVE TO SUCH EVENTS, TAKE SHELTER!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out of curiosity, were the Summer tires also some form of low rolling resistance units to preserve range, or some run-flat model? Or, were they standard Summer tires? You don't happen to remember the tire brand and model, do you? Just curious, as I'm always stymied when great carmakers build fantastic vehicles, and then connect all of their performance, and our safety, to the real world with less than ideal tires. That relatively small contact patch can be the difference between living and dying.

I'm guessing they were very nice tires if they decided to put Summer tread on the car, but I'm with you as to it being a strange choice if they knew it was going to Denver. The good news is that the buyer will not be stuck with All-Seasons if you don't want them. They always strike me as being good in all seasons, and great in none.

I'm a bit obsessive with having great summer tires on all cars and a set of great winter tires for them as well. It's kind of a pain to have them changed out, and certainly expensive to have a second set of matching wheels, but I hate having a cars limited by their tires. I also hate thinking "I'll just drive these for three years and then replace them". Many dealers are good with making the swap rather painless, but some are not.

By the way, while CAO frequently means Chief Administration Officer, here I think Car Acquisition Officer is more appropriate. ?

Have fun in that Mini!

WE NOW RETURN YOU TO YOUR REGULAR PROGRAMING. THANK YOU.....

Sponsored

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
I test drove one and almost bought it before I bought into the Rivian, and still remains as a choice. With the PP the only BEV for me that was actually very fun and engaging to drive.

Which is why I am very interested in the Polestar 3, but they need to put a bigger battery and give it more power.

My biggest complaint with the P2 would be the centre console, which is way to bulky and very impractical.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Dug up a few details on the Polestar 3.
Rivian R1T R1S New Polestar 3 Sporty SUV 1634321119258

They are currently targeting 2023 for production.
3 row, 7 seat SUV with roughly the same HP as the R1S. They use Android Automotive (not Android Auto) as their head unit - it is a full on Android device.

OP
OP
Mysta

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
1634321119258.png

3 row, 7 seat SUV with roughly the same HP as the R1S. They use Android Automotive (not Android Auto) as their head unit - it is a full on Android device.
Pretty impressive on paper!

LordUlhtred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
I love the product (and have for 3 decades). All I'm saying is that Volvo, as a brand, is NOT luxury because they have failed to try to become luxury. If they wanted to, they could easily achieve it... But they do not care to do so.
i just want to say that Volvo is more known for its safety than luxury. Even Elon Musk compared the safety of Tesla cars to be ā€betterā€ than volvo in one of the product unveilingā€™s, it was for model 3 if i recall correctly.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
1634321119258.png

Been a fan of the Polestar 2 since I test drove it. And I have been looking forward to the Polestar 3. This spec sheet does looks really intriguing.
Sponsored