Sponsored

Grabs10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo T8 and f350
It actually has the ability to use 48 amps if you hardwire on a 60 amp circuit.

It is a very good price at 500 and should be able to be used with the Rivian app.
The Rivian hardwire charger is only $500? That will likely be the cheapest wall charger available anywhere. Still just plugging into a 6/50r or a 14/50r is easily the most cost effective solution while having an adequate mile recovery over night…. Unless your daily driving is a couple hundred miles at which point the 60 amp hardwired charger would be the only reasonable solution. The extra 16 amps of capability would be huge.
Sponsored

Last edited:

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
The Rivian hardwire charger is only $500? That will likely be the cheapest wall charger available anywhere. Still just plugging into a 6/50r or a 15/40r is easily the most cost effective solution while having an adequate mile recovery over night…. Unless your daily driving is a couple hundred miles at which point the 60 amp hardwired charger would be the only reasonable solution. The extra 16 amps of capability would be huge.
I think that's what Tesla charges as well. Our power company provides one and installs if we switch to their tiered plans with peak hours and all that

Last edited:

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
The Rivian hardwire charger is only $500? That will likely be the cheapest wall charger available anywhere. Still just plugging into a 6/50r or a 14/50r is easily the most cost effective solution while having an adequate mile recovery over night…. Unless your daily driving is a couple hundred miles at which point the 60 amp hardwired charger would be the only reasonable solution. The extra 16 amps of capability would be huge.
The 6-50 and 14-50 can be run at 40A if the circuit is wired for 50A, so only an 8A bump over a hardwired install on a 60A circuit. In theory you can get 20% more, but in practice most people won't notice the difference.
If you are having a new circuit installed, pulling the wire required for 60A is probably a smart move as the cost difference will be relatively small for most scenarios.
If you have an existing 6-50 or 14-50 that you can plug into (even on a 40A circuit), the cost to upgrade to a higher capacity is questionable for most circumstances.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
5 years ago my electrician installed a 240V for my Tesla, and he said there is no point not to run a 60A for an EV unless your panel is tapped out.

I agree with him :)

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Having a local electrician install a 14-50 outlet for me in the garage in the next few weeks. This will be ideal to connection any EV charger to the 50AMP circuit so that the vehicle can be charged overnight. Not the biggest fan of the hardwired concept as it makes it tougher to change the charger itself, if that happens or if I decide against Rivian and go with something else.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
The advantages of the hard wired have been mentioned many times in many places. In a nutshell: if you run No. 6 behind a 60A breaker you will be able to install a 48 amp charger. The largest allowable on 14-50R is 40A. Generally not a big deal but every charge is 20% faster.

Don't worry about being able to change chargers later. Just make sure the electrician leaves a loop of extra wire for just this reason. Even if he doesn't splicing is nearly always possible while retaining a neat appearance. Or use large loops inside the box when you hook it up. The Tesla HPWC want this anyway and I have found it possible to use a long loop inside a WallBox Pulsar which is a pretty small unit.

The advantage of a plug-in is, of course, that you can unplug it and take it to your lake house or wherever.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Holy carp- do you see how much Amazon is getting for a Chargepoint 14-50? I could flip the one I purchased in June '21 for nearly a 60% ROI!
That is not the direct ChargePoint price. It is somebody marking them up and selling on Amazon. Go to the ChargePoint sight, they are on backorder.

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

I have a Tesla Model Y and a home charger from Tesla. I also have solar panels and a Tesla Powerwall.
I cannot tell you how happy I am that I have a Tesla when I see all the gas prices going up and shortages in certain areas.
I already have a second Tesla charger that I plan to use in my house in Florida. A simple adapter from Amazon, from $89 to$159.00, not cheap, but will allow my Rivian to use it at home as well as all Tesla charging stations that allow other makes. Non Superchargers at this point.
I find the best time to charge is late afternoon when my Powerwall battery is fully charged and my panels are producing 6kW plus. My Powerwall and solar almost completely charges my Tesla (13kW draw) in a few hours without pulling anything from the grid. Nice!
Sponsored