First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Toyota Prius, 2009 Hybrid Sierra, 1985 Fiero
Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Six Sigma “Black Belt”
It's a concept that they will produce as revealed.
I would be absolutely shocked if they did, but I’ll admit the possibility. It really depends on how much concept development and market research preceded the concept car, and how well they understand the target market.

Since I have a very negative reaction to the aesthetics, I am clearly not part of of that market.
Sponsored

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
If Musk had introduced the truck exclusively as a design statement meant to push the conceptual limits of what a pickup truck could be while appealing to a limited audience, that would be one thing.

However, he opened with a rather pompous monologue about how pickup trucks are already the biggest and also the fastest-growing segment of the automotive market in the U.S. and how we won't really make a dent in the automobile's burden on the environment until electric propulsion becomes the norm in the pickup truck segment.

If he honestly thinks this thing he rolled out onto stage last night is going to change the face of American trucking, he's literally out of his mind. I think that's why the stock is taking such a big hit today. The truck's potential profitability was never a big factor in analysts estimates. Musk's sometimes questionable stability is.

Mr_funnypuns

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Toyota Prius, 2009 Hybrid Sierra, 1985 Fiero
Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Six Sigma “Black Belt”
won't really make a dent in the automobile's burden on the environment until electric propulsion becomes the norm in the pickup truck segment.
Anyone want to take a stab at what the carbon payback time is for an EV? I’ve seen some studies, and I recall that the carbon payback is region dependant, and on the order of 5 years.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Deja vu all over again . . . or how to claim you're going forward while going backward:

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla Truck Unveiling 11/21 Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 3.20.01 PM
Rivian R1T R1S Tesla Truck Unveiling 11/21 Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 3.19.28 PM

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla Truck Unveiling 11/21 Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 3.17.46 PM

Sponsored

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
I have a reservation for an R1S. I have lurked here for a bit but this ‘unveiling’ prompted me to register an account.

This is an abomination. There’s no way any sane board of directors will let Musk take this to production. It will be a colossal failure. You can put whatever specs you want to this thing, but that design, wow.

Tesla clearly sees competition from Rivian and other manufacturers and felt they had to get ‘something’ out for the public to see. All those specs for a 2022 release? Please. So much will change between now and then. This is another way to get people to put some money for a reservation for a vapor ware product.

Wow. I still can’t believe that happened.

ESTRUCK

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV-Kona EV+ORDERED R1T-Canoo PU-SilveradoEV
To me the TESLA Cybertruck looks like a door stopper. Way too angular and edgy (FUGLY). Some cool features and a very aggressive price point on all 3 versions except the 500 mile range version at $70K which is in the RIVIAN pricing ballpark. As others have stated above I would like to see and drive both trucks before buying either one. Not sure the truck market is ready for a rolling EV door stopper.

Maybe perfect for LEGO LAND commuters.

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla Truck Unveiling 11/21 TESLA CYBERTRUCK
Rivian R1T R1S Tesla Truck Unveiling 11/21 TESLA CYB
Rivian R1T R1S Tesla Truck Unveiling 11/21 TESLA CYBER

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
If they're not even at crash tests yet, I suspect this is a vapor truck or a concept that has little bearing on what will ultimately be released. LOL at 2021. That said, I for one hope Tesla makes a mint on the Model Y so they can keep trying out bizarre ideas like this. I don't want the truck but I love that it exists. Definitely needs more polys though.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Interesting. Collect $20MM in deposits by "revealing" a vehicle that is going to be replaced by something significantly different for production? That would be quite a bait and switch.

I detest this design, but I do agree that it is good to have someone -- especially someone a bit crazy -- push the envelope. It's the way that things get shaken up enough to move forward, even if in ultimately more palatable steps.

Sponsored

WTF_Over

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, R1T AND PreOrder R2
<CLIP> This is an abomination. There’s no way any sane board of directors will let Musk take this to production. It will be a colossal failure. You can put whatever specs you want to this thing, but that design, wow. <END CLIP>
Preorders have topped 200K with over 80% of the orders for the more expensive Dual or Tri Motor models. The abomination is far from a failure and the Board will be fine. Some changes will be needed before production but I think the final product will be close to the unveiled unit. Some issues that need to be addressed will be gaining approval for side cams over mirrors in the US, headlights, crumple zones/pedestrian safety, and the rear light bar (signal and rear marker lamps) currently mounted on the top of the tailgate for when the tailgate needs to be down for hauling loads longer than 6.5 feet. I can live with the looks for a 6.5 foot bed over the 4.5 foot bed on the Rivian but I'm keeping both preorders for now.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Musk is now claiming that the door glass broke during the reveal because it had been weakened by hitting the door with the sledge hammer beforehand. That's fine, except that I looked at the video again, and only the front door was sledge hammered. The glass also broke in the rear door. If a blow to a door panel transmits so much force through the frame that windows in other doors are weakened, it raises questions about the structural design, or at least so it seems to me.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
Only $100 for the preorder. I wonder how many are serious buyers. Heck, I almost put in an order and but I was laughing too hard to type.

Last edited:

Alan Burns

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Terrain, 1967 Chevrolet 1/2 ton p/u
I wonder about that super hard rolled stainless steel. Musk says the truck is angular account the steel cannot be stamped in any normal press without breaking the press. Are there any body shops who can repair a fender bender? Is there anyway to repair the unfinished stainless steel after a sideswipe? If a fender gets backed into by a heavy steel bumper is there any sort of bondo filler repair and a paint match to cover the putty?

I will stay with my Rivian preorder.

Alan
Missoula

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
Preorders have topped 200K with over 80% of the orders for the more expensive Dual or Tri Motor models. The abomination is far from a failure and the Board will be fine. Some changes will be needed before production but I think the final product will be close to the unveiled unit. Some issues that need to be addressed will be gaining approval for side cams over mirrors in the US, headlights, crumple zones/pedestrian safety, and the rear light bar (signal and rear marker lamps) currently mounted on the top of the tailgate for when the tailgate needs to be down for hauling loads longer than 6.5 feet. I can live with the looks for a 6.5 foot bed over the 4.5 foot bed on the Rivian but I'm keeping both preorders for now.
I still don’t see it but good luck to them.

Only $100 for the preorder. I wonder how many are serious buyers. Heck, I almost put in an order and but I was laughing too hard to type.
This I completely agree with.
Sponsored