Sponsored

Rivian vs. Cybertruck

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
So...what’s the guesstimate on how many new Rivian orders result from that ... reveal. Watching the YouTube comments stream by as the event unfolded was hilarious. And that production photo of the rip-off gear tunnel campstove was a nice touch. How original. Yes, it costs less, but com’on.
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Sadly, that is very important to some people. Not everyone can afford a Rivian.
But those who can't afford a Rivian surely can afford an F-150, or Ram 1500, or Silverado 1500... anything that looks better than that monstrosity. If I were in that group, I think the Cybertruck would push me back to ICE...

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Whether you like the Cybertruck or not, the announced specs/pricing will definitely change the expectations of much of the public. Tesla must be counting on substantial battery advances in the next 3 - 4 years (the most likely time frame to deliver in any volume).

Mr_funnypuns

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Toyota Prius, 2009 Hybrid Sierra, 1985 Fiero
Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Six Sigma “Black Belt”
Whether you like the Cybertruck or not, the announced specs/pricing will definitely change the expectations of much of the public.
which specs do you feel are game changers?

I still don’t see the actual Battery capacity published. That’s going to factor into tow range.

I like the stainless body... like a delorean. Will last a long long time. 25 year service life. But the cost of repairs. ... ouch. And emergency extraction from the vehicle might get a little hairy.

but that body style.... The bed design.
Not going to work for me.

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I still don’t see the actual Battery capacity published. That’s going to factor into tow range.

I like the stainless body... like a delorean. Will last a long long time. 25 year service life. But the cost of repairs. ... ouch. And emergency extraction from the vehicle might get a little hairy.

but that body style.... The bed design.
Not going to work for me.
On top of all that, this line makes me belive that the bare stainless body is the only color you get...Everyone at the event was talking color choices...

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian vs. Cybertruck upload_2019-11-22_14-57-3

I could be wrong...

Thank you Rivian for your "polarizing" front end.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I was wondering how it would look covered with Tesla's soft, thin paint...and in color. I really do think some color might help with the look.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
This thing cannot seriously be intended for people who need a pickup truck for work. Those sloping sides mean that nothing could be loaded or unloaded from the side, necessitating unloading the rear of the bed to get to things in the front. (Honda learned this lesson with the original Ridgeline, which had sides with considerable less slope.)

The Tesla website has interior shots of the truck. The rear headrests almost touch the roof, indicating abysmal headroom in the back seat. It might carry kids comfortably, but you're not going to be taking your work crew far in it.

And those (at some future point) unbreakable side windows are actually dangerous. Several car manufacturers began to install laminated safety glass in side windows a few years ago but soon had to abandon them when reports emerged of emergency crews being unable to get to injured occupants. Insurers would view those windows as a major liability.

This vehicle is nothing more than an edgy design statement. And edgy design statements get very tiresome after a while.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Sloped sides will also be a problem for towing a 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer, or backing any trailer, for that matter.

For this to be viable as a work truck, there would need to be a mechanism to remove the side portions.

Clone

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Honda Odyssey
This vehicle is nothing more than an edgy design statement. And edgy design statements get very tiresome after a while.
I agree. The other thing that kept striking me (and I'll admit, I only watched a little of the reveal, until just after they broke 2 of the unbreakable windows) is that there's no way this could make production in something like it's current form. U.S. DOT has regulations and requirements for things like headlights, tail lights, turn signals, reflectors, side mirrors etc, none of which this would seem to have a chance of meeting.
I will say that I don't think many people who use their trucks for serious work every day (i.e. construction, farming etc) are going to be getting a Rivian for that any more readily than a Tesla. So far the only electric truck I've seen that could maybe fill that roll is the Billinger, and I think it's priced itself out of serious consideration for that. You can get a loaded up F350 for quite a bit under $125K.

Sponsored

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

I'll admit that I don't love the look especially compared to the R1T/R1S as they are beautiful, but I also have to remember the purpose of the vehicle (for me) and it isn't about the look.
Let's assume for the sake of argument that it gets high marks on all safety tests

Why this is of interest to me or at least why I will consider getting in one and not discounting it based on the visual before making my decision one way or the other...
- It can sit 6 which is a huge deal since we've got 4 kids. Honestly interested in the cybertruck vs the R1S because the 7 seater only offers the 300+ mile range option. Whether this is implemented well or whether interior space is an issue will need to be seen.
- The fact I can go 500+ miles and use the supercharger network is HUGE.... Oh and for way under the price the R1T will be with the 400+ mile configuration or the R1S with the 7 seater 300+ mile option.
- 6.5ft bed vs 4.5ft - yes please!
- Not a fan of the sloped sides for usability (again ignoring look), but honestly not something that would inconvenience me 90% of the time.
- Extra towing capacity is not crucial to me, but a nice bump.
- Definitely doesn't fit with their S3XY lineup, but at least Tesla has produced vehicles so there is some confidence in their ability there.

Some initial questions/concerns I have:
Dimensions (length/weight/wheelbase/etc.)
Does it have a frunk
Will it accommodate a gooseneck
Late 2022 for Tri-motor production... ouch, but it should give Rivian, Ford and others more time to get into it and more options to compare with once it does actually launch the version I would want.
Sloped sides could be a big issue for work crews.

While overall disappointed with the look of it, I am actually glad they are pushing the boundaries on specs/price vs doing the same brick on wheels design every other truck is and every upcoming electric truck will end up being. We have way too many ICE trucks that are the "same" already, not sure we need every electric truck following the exact same mold.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S

250 miles for <$40K
Not an apples to apples with the Rivian, but it is still a number people will use as a benchmark.
I actually suspect that it will be much like the $35K Model 3 and only available for a short time and/or "off the menu".

Tesla does not publish battery capacity on any of their vehicles. With few exceptions, manufacturers tend to publish overall pack capacity and not the usable capacity (BMW provides both numbers, GM gives usable on the Bolt, but pack capacity on their other offerings)

I will say that I don't think many people who use their trucks for serious work every day (i.e. construction, farming etc) are going to be getting a Rivian for that any more readily than a Tesla. So far the only electric truck I've seen that could maybe fill that roll is the Billinger, and I think it's priced itself out of serious consideration for that. You can get a loaded up F350 for quite a bit under $125K.
The Lordstown is a traditional looking truck and priced at $52,500. No real specs yet, but an all electric rework of the Workhorse W-15. Purported to use 4 hub motors, but info is sketchy. They are targeting fleet sales, but opened up reservations to the public.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian vs. Cybertruck 5X7I4RTSJJF4FMGVV3ZLB4VK2A

Mr_funnypuns

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Let's assume for the sake of argument that it gets high marks on all safety tests
on what basis do we do that?

- The fact I can go 500+ miles and use the supercharger network is HUGE....
it’s 25% more than rivians range. However this is concept car vs production prototype. So, not really apples to apples. We need to compare CD and battery capacity, and those aren’t published yet.

but guessing capacities between two trucks are comparable. If CD is what differs, then the towing ranges of the two trucks likely are close. On the order of 150-200 miles

Extra towing capacity is not crucial to me, but a nice bump.
I agree. I only need 6k.

vs doing the same brick on wheels design every other truck is
pickups have the form they have as a result of their function as small load haulers. The Tesla Truck is less of a truck, and more of an RV.

One key spec is missing- the weight specs. With that big cargo rating (3000 lbs +), the big battery and all that stainless, truck may cross the 7501 lb rating that makes it a class C truck. This means semiannual safety checks and additional fees.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

Mr_funnypuns

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Don't forget the $7,000 for the FSD option.....
We know very little about the trim level differences. Most of the cost of these vehicles is outside the battery.

100kWh = 14000 now, and 10,000 in 2022 assuming the current market trend continues to reduce cost per kWh 18% per year.

Rivians skateboard design. Is mass production ready, and is being marketed to other auto mfrs. This means there is potential for higher volumes And further economies of scale.

competition between Tesla and Rivian May do very good things for the industry.
Sponsored