OP

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
Looks like the strategy is get your place in line early and see what sticks. Actually for my use case buying the EV6 and the low end Ford F150 might actually be a better fit and not a lot more money than R1T Max pack. One thing is for sure I wouldn't bet the farm on which vehicles will be available for delivery first.

Last edited:

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
1500 first edition EV6, reservation is still open. I have placed a deposit for Ioniq5 already still thinking about EV6.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm really tired of new vehicles being launched as "reservations"; especially from established manufacturers.

I can forgive Rivian and other startups for it... but Ford/GM/Hyundai/KIA really should just stop it.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I'm really tired of new vehicles being launched as "reservations"; especially from established manufacturers.

I can forgive Rivian and other startups for it... but Ford/GM/Hyundai/KIA really should just stop it.
I think they do it to gauge demand.

The problem is the deposit is too small to provide any reliable data. Anything less than 1k does not really show potential buyers. 100 dollars people will throw down to hold a place while they think about it. Just look at the people in this forum with 100 dollar deposits on 3 or 4 vehicles.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I think they do it to gauge demand.

The problem is the deposit is too small to provide any reliable data. Anything less than 1k does not really show potential buyers. 100 dollars people will throw down to hold a place while they think about it. Just look at the people in this forum with 100 dollar deposits on 3 or 4 vehicles.
exactly, it's not an effective measure of demand. Besides, the manufacturer has already spent millions (or billions) on R&D at the point reservations are opened up... So I don't buy "demand" as the reason.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

1500 first edition EV6, reservation is still open. I have placed a deposit for Ioniq5 already still thinking about EV6.

ditto on the Ioniq 5 its coming to market first this fall so I will just stick/route. If Rivian cant commit me a date by the time Ioniq 5s are being delivered I shall be heading that route.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Man, that was an ordeal.! They have such a glitchy website. Iā€™m guessing they didnā€™t expect this much web traffic. Finally got my order in after like 2 hours.
Rivian R1T R1S Kia EV 6 reservation page is live 1819DD04-D9B4-4D5A-80D0-C39BB19FE48F

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz

I hear you. I also think it's annoying. Some manufacturers even go as far as showing renders or shells that don't have much to do with production vehicles and calling this a launch. It's all for interest free money, building hype.

Some people paid $50k in 2017 for Roadster that was supposed to launch in 2019. Others reserved Plaid+, which was cancelled.

Sponsored

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Rivian R1T LE

Iā€™m glad for it. With limited production in launch year (even for established manufacturers like Ford), I like the option of being able to reserve a slot (as I did for one of the only ~15,000 Mach-E GTs). The other option is that I hope I can get one of the few allocated to a local dealer, when I have to compete with everyone whoā€™s decided at the last minute they want one and when Iā€™m not guaranteed color and options I want.
And then I also have to hope that the car is a flop at launch or else expect that the limited production/availability will mean a markup by the dealer.
Nope ā€” give me the option to reserve and lock in MSRP.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Update: The Kia EV6 looks like itā€™s been delayed from January to February-May 2022
Rivian R1T R1S Kia EV 6 reservation page is live 0F26F50F-83DD-4614-9809-04C648CAE707

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Still waiting on Ioniq 5 information. Worldwide it seems it's been selling very well with no issues.
Hey! I don't understand - I think I see this vehicle locally. Am I wrong? What are you looking for.
Sponsored