Sponsored

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Info on interior design.

https://bit.ly/3wMZ5a3

Rivian R1T R1S Closeup photo of Black Mountain wood interior + Interview with Rivian’s interior expert... Nice! Rivian%20Interior%20logo

Auto Inspire Interview: Richard Vaughan, Rivian’s Luxury Expert

"You’d be hard-pressed to think of a part of the vehicle that consumers can see, feel or touch that I haven’t worked on,” says Richard Vaughan

It’s difficult to imagine someone who knows more about automotive luxury than Richard Vaughan.

He’s written six books about Bentley, Rolls-Royce, and Aston Martin luxury cars. He designed the first fullsize luxury SUV, the 1998 Lincoln Navigator, which spawned an entirely new segment of huge luxury vehicles in the U.S. And he’s a nationally known collector of British luxury cars, from relatively recent models all the way back to the 1950s. But his biggest professional accomplishment is achieving something most of us only dream about: He’s turned his personal passions into a career.

Rivian R1T R1S Closeup photo of Black Mountain wood interior + Interview with Rivian’s interior expert... Nice! Richard-Vaughan-2

His day job is Director, Crafted Quality at EV startup Rivian, where he leads the teams responsible for perceived quality, design quality and craftsmanship for all Rivian vehicles and adventure products. It’s his job to make sure every inch of real estate in a Rivian vehicle oozes the same attention to detail as the best luxury vehicles in the world.

These are the things that have fascinated Vaughan his entire life, from being an actual luxury vehicle designer to working in the supplier community developing digital displays and human-machine interfaces.

“I can’t think of a time when I wasn’t totally excited about cars and I think the earliest pictures of me in diapers with a pacifier are standing in the seat of my father’s 1968 Camaro holding the steering wheel pretending to drive,” he says during a recent Automotive Inspire interview.

Watch the entire interview here and see the favorite cars in Richard Vaughan’s collection of Aston Martins, Bentleys and Rolls-Royces. Auto Inspire Interview

By the time he was 5 he was drawing cars all the time. When he was 14, someone gave him a copy of Ebony magazine (a major monthly magazine focusing on news relevant to the African American community) featuring a story on Black car designers who were rising through the ranks at automakers.

It featured McKinley Thompson Jr., the first African American automotive designer in the U.S. and the first at Ford Motor Co. where he worked on the early generations of the Ford Bronco, Mustang and numerous other vehicles; and Edward Welburn, who was manager of the Oldsmobile design studio at General Motors. He would become the head of Global Vehicle Design at GM from 2003 to 2016, the first African American to hold the post once held by industry legends Harley Earl and William Mitchell.

Rest of the article: https://www.wardsauto.com/industry-...erview-richard-vaughan-rivian-s-luxury-expert
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I actually think that's a pretty old photo

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Keep in mind that photo is of the original prototype and may not be representative of the final production design.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
An old photo, and those cool looking "fins" that surround the dash no long appear in the configurator, so I'm assuming those are on the long list of cuts from the prototype.

If only they'd release some real interior photos of the production interior :)

Sponsored

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
An old photo, and those cool looking "fins" that surround the dash no long appear in the configurator, so I'm assuming those are on the long list of cuts from the prototype.

If only they'd release some real interior photos of the production interior :)
Yeah, they had the “exterior reveal” 2 weeks ago now (big surprise, we’ve seen them running around everywhere) but quiet on the interior.
Hopefully we haven’t gone from “Bentley” to “rental f150”

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

MBuster

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, R1S (waiting for Max Pack)
Occupation
Construction
Yeah, they had the “exterior reveal” 2 weeks ago now (big surprise, we’ve seen them running around everywhere) but quiet on the interior.
Hopefully we haven’t gone from “Bentley” to “rental f150”
I'm pretty new here but it seems so much negative as first assumption. The Bolt forum where I used to hang out was more about learning new stuff and not so much compaining. Maybe because people had their vehicles but so many here seem to want to make Rivian seem bad like they don't want or like them.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I'm pretty new here but it seems so much negative as first assumption. The Bolt forum where I used to hang out was more about learning new stuff and not so much compaining. Maybe because people had their vehicles but so many here seem to want to make Rivian seem bad like they don't want or like them.
It's a valid assessment. The problem as I see it is that Rivian has intentionally created an information vacuum. They've decided that "soon" is an appropriate response to almost everything, which has frustrated the heck out of everyone, especially when soon seems to have no real definition, but is certainly longer than most people consider a reasonable amount of time. Mix that with numerous, poorly communicated delays, and you get people not feeling so positive about it all.

I will say, anytime Rivian tosses us a pinch of info, members here are usually pretty positive and excited. It's just that it happens so infrequently.

For some early reservation holders, "soon" has been over 2.5 years and counting.

Sponsored

Scoop

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport, Volvo XC90
Occupation
Retired
I think Richard Vaughan missed this quality detail. The lower part of the seat looks like it’s stretched out compared to the upper portion. Saw this on my order pick for the interior color. The Vegan pleather apparently doesn’t have the flexibility that good old leather has.

Rivian R1T R1S Closeup photo of Black Mountain wood interior + Interview with Rivian’s interior expert... Nice! 3BBA05B0-38AE-45DB-9944-844EB2BA2C38

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Less flexible material that stretched more... say what?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I’m really not seeing what defect you’re trying to circle. With some lumbar support, I’d expect the lower seat back to protrude a bit, like in that picture. Materials look good, to me.

Scoop

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport, Volvo XC90
Occupation
Retired
I’m really not seeing what defect you’re trying to circle. With some lumbar support, I’d expect the lower seat back to protrude a bit, like in that picture. Materials look good, to me.
It’s better if you go to the RIVIAN website. Look at the interior pictures. When I saw the back of the seat I noticed the white threading near the bottom. The center appears to be a little wider at the bottom than on the top.
Sponsored