Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Grits

I thought we were doing a word association game.

In all seriousness...

While they have partnered with Yakima for their accessories, that is not a Yakima product. Their awning looks like what the OP pictured in the first post of this thread.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Is there really that big of a market for a roof mounted awning? I literally don't think I've ever seen someone with one... Is this a big thing in the south?

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Is there really that big of a market for a roof mounted awning? I literally don't think I've ever seen someone with one... Is this a big thing in the south?
Big in general with the overlanding community. See them quite a bit paired with roof top tents, and you likely wouldn't notice them when they're not deployed...start paying attention to any vehicles with roof racks & I bet you'll start to notice some.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Big in general with the overlanding community. See them quite a bit paired with roof top tents, and you likely wouldn't notice them when they're not deployed...start paying attention to any vehicles with roof racks & I bet you'll start to notice some.
That's the weird thing. I do. I noticed tents and racks all the time around here. Never seen an awning. Maybe just never thought to look for one specifically.

Thanks!

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I wish they would do some testing in Michigan. I look for prototypes every time I drive past their offices and have yet to see anything.

Amdolan

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Durango
I wish they would do some testing in Michigan. I look for prototypes every time I drive past their offices and have yet to see anything.
Someone on reddit posted an R1S in downtown Birmingham the other day. Just a short 5 minute walk from my house, had I known it was going to be there. My daughter and I take trips to Plymouth when we're bored to see if there are any in there parking lot, and haven't seen anything except a whole bunch of non-Rivian Amazon delivery vehicles

Sponsored

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
Awesome (mosquito) net siding too would be nice for some areas. ;)

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I really wish there was a tall, high-coverage awning option that didn't require such a bulky installation on the cab. It seems like something like this could be added to the apex of a rooftop tent to help keep the bulk (when packed) lower on the truck bed to reduce drag and keep the cab open. Especially on an EV, the range impact and general clutter of a cab-mounted awning doesn't really seem worth the payoff.

(Yet another reason I'd love to see a taller rack option - at least then you could put an awning over the bed to keep the kitchen dry!)