Sponsored

Shinobu's Smile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma / 2015 Subaru BRZ
Occupation
Scientist
As someone who currently drives a Tacoma and wants to upgrade to an R1T, thanks for this post.

There is one critical dimension of the R1T I need to know. The distance from the front of the bumper to the front of the tire, as this will determine if it can fit in my garage as I have a step toward the front.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

As someone who currently drives a Tacoma and wants to upgrade to an R1T, thanks for this post.

There is one critical dimension of the R1T I need to know. The distance from the front of the bumper to the front of the tire, as this will determine if it can fit in my garage as I have a step toward the front.
I am not a math guy, but there should be a math equation you can do to figure that out based on the approach angle of 34° and the length of 217.1". I could be wrong...like I said...not a math guy.

Shinobu's Smile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma / 2015 Subaru BRZ
Occupation
Scientist
I am not a math guy, but there should be a math equation you can do to figure that out based on the approach angle of 34° and the length of 217.1". I could be wrong...like I said...not a math guy.
Actually I tried to do this a while back but couldn't. The total vehicle length is not necessary. The approach angle is known (34°) and the wheel size is 34.1" (diameter for my preference), however a key factor will be bumper ground clearance (which I cannot assume) or distance from bumper to center point of bottom of tire (or just in front as it is squishy rubber)
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T vs Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro side-by-side comparison - real life sighting Untitled

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
While this isn't the most exciting spot, it's the one that got me to place my reservation a few weeks back! Sorry no interior shots as I didn't want to get in way of the employees who were standing near by.

I've been spotting the R1T's quite often around Orange County and the desert but never got to see them up close. Well while out for coffee (Common Room Roasters, so Rivian employee's enjoy local coffee roasters, major +1) I was able to compare my TRD Pro to the R1T and immediately fell in love.

Another thing I loved was the first image on their website was of mountain bikers. Excited to see these start hitting the roads hopefully near the original date they said.

We went with Limestone / Ocean Coast Adventure Package R1T w/ camp kitchen option

*sorry for any grammar mistakes, currently recovering from a concussion*

Rivian R1T vs 2020 Tacoma TRD PRO 4.jpg .jpg
Rivian R1T vs 2020 Tacoma TRD PRO 2.jpg .jpg
Rivian R1T vs 2020 Tacoma TRD PRO 3.jpg .jpg
Rivian R1T vs 2020 Tacoma TRD PRO 1.jpg .jpg
For casual mountain driving these two are the perfect size. I wish the Rivian had 500 miles of range. I would be all over it.

Sponsored

thedole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Occupation
Brewmeister
Actually I tried to do this a while back but couldn't. The total vehicle length is not necessary. The approach angle is known (34°) and the wheel size is 34.1" (diameter for my preference), however a key factor will be bumper ground clearance (which I cannot assume) or distance from bumper to center point of bottom of tire (or just in front as it is squishy rubber)
Untitled.jpg
You can get close by taking the length (217.1") - wheelbase (135.9") - bed overhang, which is likely length beyond rear axel (45.5") - approx tailgate thickness (~7") to get to where the center of the front wheel is. I'm not sure about the diameter of the wheel and tire, but this puts the front axel at 28.7" from the front of the truck.

Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, White, Forest Edge, 22” Brights
Occupation
Mechanical, Engineering, Technician for Navy (Undersea Warfare)Retired
This may be the most helpful picture if the R1T I've seen. Thanks for pulling your truck up next to it!
I agree.
I’ve been looking for side by side pics also. I’m a big guy as in 5’ 10” 330 Lbs and was concerned about being jammed up against the inside of the door but truck seems pretty wide.

Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, White, Forest Edge, 22” Brights
Occupation
Mechanical, Engineering, Technician for Navy (Undersea Warfare)Retired
It is. I'm sure they said it is wider than a Tundra even.
Yes, I read an article where they said the Rivian was wider than both the Tacoma and the Tundra. The Tundra is longer though.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
As a Tacoma owner I was curious to see a size comparison against an R1T.

A perfect photo would be an R1T, Tacoma and F150 parked side by side.

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
So here's the important question: Will my wife perceive me as lying when I tell her this isn't a huge truck and is the same size as a Taco for years now?

I think I'm in the clear :CWL:

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
So here's the important question: Will my wife perceive me as lying when I tell her this isn't a huge truck and is the same size as a Taco for years now?

I think I'm in the clear :CWL:
Oh you’re good. Just remember every time you drive somewhere with her, to park next to the largest pickup you can find :like:

Tdfster

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Dodge Grand Caravan
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
just saw an R1T and a Tacoma (almost) side by side. Note the R1T is in Off Road mode, so in the highest setting (per the owner).

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T vs Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro side-by-side comparison - real life sighting PXL_20220325_201418908.MP
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T vs Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro side-by-side comparison - real life sighting PXL_20220325_201710781
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T vs Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro side-by-side comparison - real life sighting PXL_20220325_201721025
I

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
My research indicates the following truck widths;

-Tacoma is roughly 85” wide with mirrors
-R1T is 87.1” wide with mirrors
-Ford F150 is 95.7” with mirrors

Last edited:

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I do this with almost every SUV I encounter. Always compare and wonder "is the R1S smaller/larger/the same size as this one?". The struggle is real ?
Size comparison is as old as humans have been around.

caligrown858

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
This is great! Currently driving a '15 Tacoma double cab and have been wondering how the two compare in size. Been hoping its a bit more spacious for family trips, which it appears to be the case. And 100% with you on the marketing for mountain bikers! Cant wait to get this thing out on the open road whenever that day comes. Thanks so much for sharing!
Sponsored