Not thrilled with censorship on this site

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
You can say lipstick on a pig all you want, but I love my dmax still and don't care if i have to drag a dumb ass trailer of batteries behind me or mount them all over the truck. If it works, I'll be tempted to trade the r1t for the Denali ev.
Sponsored

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T FG/FE 20" AT Dark
Munro only ever cares about cost. I remember watching their videos on the Rivian and the only conclusion I ever reached by watching them is "too good, let's save 3 cents by making it worse". It was nice seeing the internal pieces of the Rivian when they did tear downs but I also worried that they will come in and make it worse. I just hope RJ has enough common sense not to let them screw it up too much with their suggestions.
I was thinking this too on many reviews I've been watching while deciding to get a Rivian. As a prospective buyer .. I don't give a crap how much it costs them to make. I want to know what quality it is and is it better long term. If I've already accepted the purchase price, the building cost is irrelevant to me.

Seems most of those videos are more driven towards potential shareholders than potential customers.

jzorbino

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Analyst
Clubs

I did a quick search to see if this has been posted, but I did not see it.

Here is the Munro teardown showing the Hummer battery:

Looks like GM is simply throwing a crappy battery into an "ev"

My concern is that it appears to be some response to the market but engineering wise there's no commitment to improvement or doing things the right way. I suppose nobody should be surprised there's no innovation from the major manufacturers when it comes to creating an electric vehicle. This underlines the concerns I have with anybody who wants to go buy an F-150 lightning. Sort of reminds me of a pinto or Vega which was the response to the imports that were taking the market by storm... Sure people bought them for the fuel economy but they were simply a response to what the market was requesting without any requisite investment or imagination. Sort of like the chevette or the citation.

Go ahead and get your Silverado EV.

Lipstick on a pig.
This is fascinating - I reserved a Silverado before I ended up purchasing the R1T. Their battery design was promoted as a strength and was even something that stood out to me at the time as a selling point. GM has a platform called "Ultium" that they advertise as being cutting edge and is used for multiple brands of EVs..... It was pushed heavily when I looked at the Cadillac Lyriq as well.

I was seriously sold on this being a strength of theirs, I guess it was just all marketing

Reactions: MDH

docwhiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S LR (2022), Land Rover Discovery 2
Occupation
Retired
This is fascinating - I reserved a Silverado before I ended up purchasing the R1T. Their battery design was promoted as a strength and was even something that stood out to me at the time as a selling point. GM has a platform called "Ultium" that they advertise as being cutting edge and is used for multiple brands of EVs..... It was pushed heavily when I looked at the Cadillac Lyriq as well.

I was seriously sold on this being a strength of theirs, I guess it was just all marketing
Yes, the Ultium battery is all marketing. It's just a (rather old, somewhat obsolete) technology battery wrapped in fancy GM marketing.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Yes, the Ultium battery is all marketing. It's just a (rather old, somewhat obsolete) technology battery wrapped in fancy GM marketing.
Yet they are offering a bigger battery with faster charging than rivals :rolleyes:

Marketing is pretty easy since the most important thing in EV batteries is charging speed, I am pretty sure only Lucid offers faster charging than the Hummer EV.

docwhiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Yet they are offering a bigger battery with faster charging than rivals :rolleyes:

Marketing is pretty easy since the most important thing in EV batteries is charging speed, I am pretty sure only Lucid offers faster charging than the Hummer EV.
It's just marketing hype... where is GM's nationwide 350 kW charging network?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

It's just marketing hype... where is GM's nationwide 350 kW charging network?
LOL... that isn't what we are discussing here is it. When you are deflecting from your argument you've already lost but keep it up with your 'expert' level opinions.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Not always. Remember Sandy recommended adding a 2nd motor to the power tonneau to prevent the problems we’ve been seeing. He rightly felt Rivian “cheaped out” on the design.
Yeah, but he almost had a stroke when they found 68 screws (IIRC) holding the Rivian door panel to the door frame as well. He probably was muttering "geee whiz... 68 screws!" in his sleep that night because that waste upset him so much.

docwhiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
LOL... that isn't what we are discussing here is it. When you are deflecting from your argument you've already lost but keep it up with your 'expert' level opinions.
It's marketing hype when it doesn't exist but is advertised.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

It's marketing hype when it doesn't exist but is advertised.
I'll repeat because you seem confused.

You claimed that GM Ultium batteries are old tech that is obsolete then I pointed out the fact that they offer a larger pack that charges faster than any of their competitors (unless you count Lucid as a competitor). I know if I wanted to tow heavy things that would sound very good to me.

docwhiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I'll repeat because you seem confused.

You claimed that GM Ultium batteries are old tech that is obsolete then I pointed out the fact that they offer a larger pack that charges faster than any of their competitors (unless you count Lucid as a competitor). I know if I wanted to tow heavy things that would sound very good to me.
Large dumb old technology pack to power a heavy inefficient pig of a vehicle.
Here's the relevant part starting at 20:00:

Last edited:

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Yo homies, why the flaming?

Does anybody expect GM to have an answer to the EV thing?
I sure as hell don't.
I have owned a saturn as a commuter....but I stay the f*ck away.
Its because people are saying stupid things as the suck on Elon's teets. This thread is not alone today.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

His teets are too big. I am waiting for his next best thing. Twitter is a fart in the hot tub at the residence Inn, staying there for business and all that...
More room for all his fan boys to suckle. I'm sure whatever he announces next will go swimingly, maybe he will announce an independent bid for president, on twitter.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

This guy isn't worth arguing with. Just wants to argue for the sake of arguing. Intentionally misunderstands your argument to try to upset you. Easy ignore.
Sponsored