tosehee

First Name
Se Hee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I love the fact she won’t take your word for it 🤣. Now that they are opening up test drives can you arrange one for her?
She just wants that falcon wing... :-(

I doubt anything would convince her from that... But I can try.
Sponsored

Trizzle29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco FE, Alfa 4c, Panigale
Do you have the same tires/wheels on the R1T

rpo

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Finance
She just wants that falcon wing... :-(

I doubt anything would convince her from that... But I can try.
As an MX owner for the past 7 months, I would avoid that car like the plague....and ESPECIALLY because it has the falcon wing doors. I thought those were cool too, until I had to use them daily with two toddlers. Getting them to open all the way is a numbers game (and this is with no obstructions anywhere near the doors).

10% of the time, the falcon wing doors open all the way. It's so rare that I am surprised each time it happens.

90% of the time, they stop after 3 inches or so. That is obviously not enough to get in, so then you have to hold the open button continuously to force the door to keep opening...for 10-20 seconds because it moves incredible slowly. The override button is inside the door, so when it stops after only opening a few inches, you can't get your hand inside to the button, so you have to open the front driver/passenger door and reach around. Do this 4x a day shuttling kids to/from school and you'll regret buying the car.

Not to be outdone, the front driver/passenger doors on the MX are also motorized. They used to open all the way on their own, but when Tesla got rid of the ultrasonic sensors last year, they lost the ability to see objects, so the doors now only open a few inches and stop. But the motors stay engaged for a couple of seconds after the door stops and won't let you open the door further unless you wait. So now it's hit the open button or door handle, door opens a few inches, wait two seconds, and then push/pull the door the rest of the way. It's beyond frustrating.

P.S. I can't disable that "feature" where it SLAMS the door closed the moment the brake is pushed, and one time when vacuuming the driver's footwell area, the vacuum touched the brake pedal which caused the door to close on my foot. Ever since, I don't let my kids crawl into the driver's seat in the MX (which they love to do) because if they barely touch the brake pedal crawling in, the door will slam closed onto them. It closes about 5x faster than it opens. Ridiculous.

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (LG, FE, 20"), Tesla Model X
Clubs

I'd take your MX in for service. We have a 2017 and use the falcon wing doors (quite often with toddlers) and they open just fine.

We are also fortunate to have an older model with ultrasonic sensors, so the front doors operate fine too.

tosehee

First Name
Se Hee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

As an MX owner for the past 7 months, I would avoid that car like the plague....and ESPECIALLY because it has the falcon wing doors. I thought those were cool too, until I had to use them daily with two toddlers. Getting them to open all the way is a numbers game (and this is with no obstructions anywhere near the doors).

10% of the time, the falcon wing doors open all the way. It's so rare that I am surprised each time it happens.

90% of the time, they stop after 3 inches or so. That is obviously not enough to get in, so then you have to hold the open button continuously to force the door to keep opening...for 10-20 seconds because it moves incredible slowly. The override button is inside the door, so when it stops after only opening a few inches, you can't get your hand inside to the button, so you have to open the front driver/passenger door and reach around. Do this 4x a day shuttling kids to/from school and you'll regret buying the car.

Not to be outdone, the front driver/passenger doors on the MX are also motorized. They used to open all the way on their own, but when Tesla got rid of the ultrasonic sensors last year, they lost the ability to see objects, so the doors now only open a few inches and stop. But the motors stay engaged for a couple of seconds after the door stops and won't let you open the door further unless you wait. So now it's hit the open button or door handle, door opens a few inches, wait two seconds, and then push/pull the door the rest of the way. It's beyond frustrating.

P.S. I can't disable that "feature" where it SLAMS the door closed the moment the brake is pushed, and one time when vacuuming the driver's footwell area, the vacuum touched the brake pedal which caused the door to close on my foot. Ever since, I don't let my kids crawl into the driver's seat in the MX (which they love to do) because if they barely touch the brake pedal crawling in, the door will slam closed onto them. It closes about 5x faster than it opens. Ridiculous.
I'd share this with my wife and see if she changes her mind..

:)

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tibi

First Name
S.L.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X
I'd share this with my wife and see if she changes her mind..

:)
I can add: while the falcon doors can be convenient- when you’re parked and the only side you can enter is the street side, and your kid needs to enter quickly, this is really not convenient. The whole door opens on the street side, slowly, and then back down. In our garage we had the same issue as others - of the doors either opening just a little bit ( and we had to scroll in ) or actually hit the wall. Once in the garage, When one of my kids would open the falcon door before I exited the car, I would have to wait for him to get out and close the falcon door so that I could open my door. That’s because the falcon door could not open fully due to the wall.
I also asked my kids what they thought. What they like from the Rivian is the panoramic roof. They can see lot more and better. I also like the 360/top view camera in the Rivian that is missing in the MX. but I like the seats of the MX better and the yoke.

Good luck!

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I just took delivery of my R1S last week (RB on MB interior, 20 AT). My husband has had an R1T for 8 months. So we are now a full Rivian family :). We’ve used this forum a lot for information and appreciated all the reviews. So I wanted to share our experience.

We‘ve taken the T on snow, long road trips (WA -> OR ->CA)… and found it an amazing car… except that we have two kids and two big golden retrievers so the R1S was a must for us. We both enjoy driving, have had Audis (A3, Q5, SQ5, Q7) and Tesla Model X.

I was a bit concerned because I read some reviews finding the R1S not to be as good of a drive as the R1T. Honestly, I am loving my R1S. I find it smooth, easy to drive, turning really well. In fact, we find it less « bouncy » than the R1T - not that it is an issue with the R1T. The kids in the back (my daughter has an adult size) were very comfortable. It feels as sporty as the R1T feels (We haven’t tested it off roads). For families, the storage in the R1S is amazing - already did a weekend trip, and since we have the two big dogs in the trunk, we used the storage below the trunk (spare tire area) and the frunk and there was quite a bit of space to spare.
We drove 214 miles from the east side of Seattle to Cannon Beach OR, and leaving with 100% battery, we arrived at destination with 18% left. Drove it using all purpose mode.

Compared to the Tesla X- while this is an amazing car for HWY driving and I am one who actually liked the yoke, I had mixed feelings about the falcon doors. But what I love about the R1S is the height of the car, the fun/sporty feeling of the drive… I have no regrets! …but what I wish Rivian had done better is the seat. The front seats of the Model X were superior in my opinion - they hold you well. I also wish the headrest in the Rivian was adjustable in thickness.

I hope that anyone who has concerns about the difference in the driving experience between the R1S and the R1T or anyone who is coming from a Tesla X finds it helpful. I just love the R1S.
[/QUOTE. Helpful and encouraging comments. I drive a 2020 performance MX, for three years, and an M3 before that. After ordering an R1S in early 2019 we await delivery, shortly. Both Tesla vehicles are superb highway vehicles each in its own way, but we are solid Rivian people in the making because where we live dirt roads and mountain off-road terrain IS our domain and winters here are long and hard. Any comments and comparisons you write are appreciated.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I just took delivery of my R1S last week (RB on MB interior, 20 AT). My husband has had an R1T for 8 months. So we are now a full Rivian family :). We’ve used this forum a lot for information and appreciated all the reviews. So I wanted to share our experience.

We‘ve taken the T on snow, long road trips (WA -> OR ->CA)… and found it an amazing car… except that we have two kids and two big golden retrievers so the R1S was a must for us. We both enjoy driving, have had Audis (A3, Q5, SQ5, Q7) and Tesla Model X.

I was a bit concerned because I read some reviews finding the R1S not to be as good of a drive as the R1T. Honestly, I am loving my R1S. I find it smooth, easy to drive, turning really well. In fact, we find it less « bouncy » than the R1T - not that it is an issue with the R1T. The kids in the back (my daughter has an adult size) were very comfortable. It feels as sporty as the R1T feels (We haven’t tested it off roads). For families, the storage in the R1S is amazing - already did a weekend trip, and since we have the two big dogs in the trunk, we used the storage below the trunk (spare tire area) and the frunk and there was quite a bit of space to spare.
We drove 214 miles from the east side of Seattle to Cannon Beach OR, and leaving with 100% battery, we arrived at destination with 18% left. Drove it using all purpose mode.

Compared to the Tesla X- while this is an amazing car for HWY driving and I am one who actually liked the yoke, I had mixed feelings about the falcon doors. But what I love about the R1S is the height of the car, the fun/sporty feeling of the drive… I have no regrets! …but what I wish Rivian had done better is the seat. The front seats of the Model X were superior in my opinion - they hold you well. I also wish the headrest in the Rivian was adjustable in thickness.

I hope that anyone who has concerns about the difference in the driving experience between the R1S and the R1T or anyone who is coming from a Tesla X finds it helpful. I just love the R1S.
Helpful and encouraging comments. I drive a 2020 performance MX, for three years, and an M3 before that. After ordering an R1S in early 2019 we await delivery, shortly. Both Tesla vehicles are superb highway vehicles each in its own way, but we are solid Rivian people in the making because where we live dirt roads and mountain off-road terrain IS our domain and winters here are long and hard. Any comments and comparisons you write are appreciated.

rpo

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Finance
I'd take your MX in for service. We have a 2017 and use the falcon wing doors (quite often with toddlers) and they open just fine.

We are also fortunate to have an older model with ultrasonic sensors, so the front doors operate fine too.
It's spent 3 months in service where it obtains more new defects than get resolved on every visit. It'll be lemoned any day now.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tibi

First Name
S.L.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X
Helpful and encouraging comments. I drive a 2020 performance MX, for three years, and an M3 before that. After ordering an R1S in early 2019 we await delivery, shortly. Both Tesla vehicles are superb highway vehicles each in its own way, but we are solid Rivian people in the making because where we live dirt roads and mountain off-road terrain IS our domain and winters here are long and hard. Any comments and comparisons you write are appreciated.
I agree- the MX is wonderful on highways. We’ve taken the R1S and R1T on Highways and find them great as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Tibi

First Name
S.L.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X
I will add a quick update: we’ve now taken the R1S on highway twice- WA to OR; drove small roads with lots of turns and bumps… the car is handling all amazingly. We used the dog mode and it worked great. And it’s so spacious… very happy!

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
So just took delivery of R1S 2days ago. Whats up with the bouncy ride. What setting does ride need to be in? Do i need wheel balancing and tire pressure check?

Rivian R1T R1S New R1S joins our R1T - great experience so far WhatsApp Image 2023-06-10 at 10.49.42 AM

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
So just took delivery of R1S 2days ago. Whats up with the bouncy ride. What setting does ride need to be in? Do i need wheel balancing and tire pressure check?

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-10 at 10.49.42 AM.jpeg
So responding to my own question. Having driven it another 2wks, I found Snow mode with Auto height takes away that bouncy feel. I currently have a R1T loaner and there is no bounce issue. So seems its a R1S thing.
Sponsored