First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
So dropped my truck off in Austin SC. Went for drive with tech and I replicated clunking noise…he didn’t seem too bothered by it. When we got back, drove a CY R1T with 22s and 3000 miles…to me, there was no noticeable clunking from half shafts…just a minor tick from accel/decel. They then let me drive another loaner that had similar mileage to mine and 21s. It was more similar to my clunk but not as harsh. So they are going to do this washer treatment to mine but really not sure if it’s going to help as I think it was more a fix to the creaking. I think they think I’m crazy at this point but I felt/heard the difference. To be continued…
Mine has clearly developed play between the male and female splines at all 4 corners. Every on or off throttle at slow enough to hear it speed, results in a clear back and forth in those splines.
Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
It is funny you mentioned this, I had mine looked at, and it was said everything its normal, However, I noticed much less noise. and the tick-tocking was gone... I was thinking they must have done something but did not say anything..
Yup, they put same thing on my ticket....said all normal....even when I drove 2 others and one made none of the noises mine did...and another was on its way to making the same noises, just had fewer miles. Picking it up tonight and hoping for same results as you.

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
Had the FSAM work done on Wednesday. Was told by call center that it would take three hours so was expecting to just wait on the work. Arrived at the service center and was told it would take five hours of uninterrupted time to do the work and truck would likely be ready Friday afternoon. Service center gave me a loaner (R1T). By that afternoon, app showed work to be completed. Service center called me the next morning to let me know the work was done.

Work seems to have gotten rid of the creaks, groans, clicking, tocking, and other weird noises when accelerating then coming off of the accelerator. Suspension seems to be much quieter now.
good to hear.....my appt is set for June 16th (Chelsea ma), hoping for same outcome. Was told it's like 1/2 day job....

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Well, got truck back…felt like new for about 10 miles due to probably re-greasing and lash returned even after FSAM. 🙁.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Well, got truck back…felt like new for about 10 miles due to probably re-greasing and lash returned even after FSAM. 🙁.
Bummer. File another request until they get it right

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Austin SC thinks I’m nuts at this point I think.
Did you do a drive with a service tech? My guess is the tech should drive so they can experience it

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Did you do a drive with a service tech? My guess is the tech should drive so they can experience it
So I asked him to drive…he declined…wanted me to recreate the clunk I imagine…I did…he said it sounded/felt normal. We then drove a loaner with 3k miles….it was 90% better than mine with just a minor tick which I’m fine with. When we got back he told the service manager that it was the same sound/feel as mine, which is bull. I told service manager after he left that there is a definite difference…we drove another one with similar mileage to mine and it had minor lash so manager said, see, it’s normal. So something wears down..spline teeth, etc…from the course of new to 7-8k that just isn’t right and they are blowing it off at this point…at least for me.

Sponsored

rydb

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE
Clubs

So I asked him to drive…he declined…wanted me to recreate the clunk I imagine…I did…he said it sounded/felt normal. We then drove a loaner with 3k miles….it was 90% better than mine with just a minor tick which I’m fine with. When we got back he told the service manager that it was the same sound/feel as mine, which is bull. I told service manager after he left that there is a definite difference…we drove another one with similar mileage to mine and it had minor lash so manager said, see, it’s normal. So something wears down..spline teeth, etc…from the course of new to 7-8k that just isn’t right and they are blowing it off at this point…at least for me.
I love the truck overall, but the tocking noise has gotten so loud people have started asking about it when they ride in the truck. You can hear all 4 just clunking back and forth (and frequently all separately if you're not going straight). This is a pretty simple mechanical issue that no other vehicle (EV or otherwise) I've driven has ever had. It's not like the truck is that quiet that I wouldn't notice a similar sound in another vehicle either. As much as I'd hate to drive anything else, I've tolerated it assuming they'd eventually resolve it, but if they can't or won't, I think it's going to drive me nuts just knowing how sloppy that setup is.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I love the truck overall, but the tocking noise has gotten so loud people have started asking about it when they ride in the truck. You can hear all 4 just clunking back and forth (and frequently all separately if you're not going straight). This is a pretty simple mechanical issue that no other vehicle (EV or otherwise) I've driven has ever had. It's not like the truck is that quiet that I wouldn't notice a similar sound in another vehicle either. As much as I'd hate to drive anything else, I've tolerated it assuming they'd eventually resolve it, but if they can't or won't, I think it's going to drive me nuts just knowing how sloppy that setup is.
I agree. Drives me nuts too. I think it is worse because it happens back and forth from power to regen. Other vehicles have lash, but if they have ICE and automatic, the drivetrain is loaded even at a stop. With a manual, typically you go back and forth from compression braking to power.

But with EV the splines go back and forth.

It seems they could hide it a bit with a software adjustment that would slightly load the brakes at stops, so when one starts to apply throttle, the play is already taken up.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I agree. Drives me nuts too. I think it is worse because it happens back and forth from power to regen. Other vehicles have lash, but if they have ICE and automatic, the drivetrain is loaded even at a stop. With a manual, typically you go back and forth from compression braking to power.

But with EV the splines go back and forth.

It seems they could hide it a bit with a software adjustment that would slightly load the brakes at stops, so when one starts to apply throttle, the play is already taken up.
Snow mode helps since that has the low regen setting. I use it in stop and go traffic.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Maybe they did this and it's why people are seeing higher brake pad degradation? 🤔

Since the brake wear chart started, I've listened more at decelerations and stops. I definitely hear a slight squeaking at speeds I didn't think I would...

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Maybe they did this and it's why people are seeing higher brake pad degradation? 🤔

Since the brake wear chart started, I've listened more at decelerations and stops. I definitely hear a slight squeaking at speeds I didn't think I would...
I don't think they did. When I start from a stop, I definitely get a hard click/clunk at all four hubs.
Sponsored