Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Yep, living with it. Opening the tonneau more often than I'd like 😅

I might try a 4 inch, especially for some summer trips I have.
It's more expensive, but I gotta say... having a swingout is a delight, especially if you use the tailgate often. I use the Thule Pivot V2 with my 1UP rack when I've got the tent on for camping trips and it makes things breezy.

It does stick out a little extra, but not so much that it bothers me. (In fact it keeps my handlebars out of the tent window 😅).
Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking 1682353503626
Sponsored

OP
OP

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Curious if there are any concerns with tailgate getting dented, or bike frame getting stressed from this setup. I lnow tailgate pads are a common use case for pickups, but several R1T owners report issues with the extra wide tailgate on the rivian causing concerns around denting etc...
No issues with mine yet, but I'd make sure the tailgate pad has thick padding where the crease in the tailgate is.

VenturaLuke

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Flight Nurse
Can anyone with a 1up Equip D Single tell me, can you drop the tailgate with the rack in place? Either folded down or tilted down?

tylerdurden03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Jeep GC Trailhawk, Tesla Model 3
Clubs

It's more expensive, but I gotta say... having a swingout is a delight, especially if you use the tailgate often. I use the Thule Pivot V2 with my 1UP rack when I've got the tent on for camping trips and it makes things breezy.

It does stick out a little extra, but not so much that it bothers me. (In fact it keeps my handlebars out of the tent window 😅).
1682353503626.png
Any reason you went with the Thule swingout vs the 1Up version (rakattach)?

Sponsored

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Can anyone with a 1up Equip D Single tell me, can you drop the tailgate with the rack in place? Either folded down or tilted down?
I can with room to spare drop the gate down with the Equip D Double tilted down...maybe someone will chime in on the Single

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
Any reason you went with the Thule swingout vs the 1Up version (rakattach)?
Yeah, I thought the red lettering on the RakAttach was ugly 😜

Joking aside, I grabbed the Thule at Overland Expo last year. I was impressed with the pivot design - it feels super resilient and resistant to sagging etc. - and I wanted it right away for a road trip I was on.

The RakAttach V2 came out since then and I really like that it's reversible and the extra metal supports in the closed position. If I didn't already have a perfectly good Thule, I'd probably go the 1UP route. I really do think the bright lettering is a bit tacky but that'd be an easy enough fix.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Assuming the Thule classic can pivot the bike platform down?
It only took me 6 weeks to try this, but finally did it! I honestly had no idea the Thule T2 Classic did this until you asked.

Confirm: 2 inch drop and 7 inch extension with stabilizer is 👌

https://a.co/d/hLamgug

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking PXL_20230602_014545204~2

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking PXL_20230602_014553016

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking PXL_20230602_014821003

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking PXL_20230602_014814801

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/S, Bronco Raptor, Wrangler4xe, Ioniq5, Winbago
Occupation
insurance agent
Any other mountain bikers on here?

The R1T seems like the perfect vehicle for it:
  • The bike in the bed, with the gear guard and bed camera for security
  • The frunk for all of the gear I normally carry
  • The gear tunnel for holding a slide out fridge (if it isn't an option, I'll make it myself)
  • The other side of the gear tunnel for holding tools / spares / repair stand / etc
  • An air compressor for keeping bike tires full
  • Ground clearance for remote trailheads
  • Plenty of torque for crossing 12,000 ft mountain passes
  • Room for all of the above plus four adults and four bikes for weekends away or day trips far enough that we carpool
I typically use hitch racks (1up for the last couple of years), and while I won't throw that out, I'll probably switch over to a tailgate pad. It seems like the bed cam and gear guard are pushing in this direction.

The shuttle system mentioned for the camp kitchen seems like it would be useful for tools and the fridge. Like many others, I'm hoping this is sold as a standalone option, of course if Rivian decides to offer the accessories I want, that works for me.

Coming up with a hot water system will also be ideal. I've carried water with 12V pumps in the past for cleaning myself and the bike off, and taking advantage of the battery pack to heat water for doing the same, maybe even with enough water capacity to double as a minimalist outdoor shower, would be worth the effort.

More to come as additional accessories become available over the next few months.

What do you think? Ideas on other accessories or customizations to support mountain biking? If you think the R1S would be better, I don't blame you - I have a large SUV now, and it does have it's advantages. I like being able to carry bikes inside the SUV on long trips and fit a full size air mattress for solo camping.
The R1T is great for MTB. I take one seatpost out for aerodynamics to keep everything below the roof line and range seems unaffected. With some of the vertical racks your wheels are sticking up pretty high and causing drag.

As far as gear guard cable and cameras go I wouldn’t rely on them entirely for security because 1) it’s better to have a deterrent than have to deal with trying to track down a criminal (nearly impossible) 2) the cable can be cut quite easily and since you use one cable the risk reward is pretty high for an opportunist thief if you have multiple high end bikes. With a hitch rack there are multiple cables and usually a complicated process for removing each bike. I’ve left many expensive bikes on a hitch rack while camping in Walmart parking lots but I’d be wary of doing the same with only one measly cable. You’d want to supplement that to deter theft if you plan on walking away from your bikes for even a short period of time.

If you’re not carrying a spare tire the underbed trunk is quite large and could fit multiple soft coolers / gear. That is also locked and hidden away with the tailgate up.

Wefty

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2008 Fit
I don't know if it was on this thread but definitely on this forum. I saw someone put the crossbar through the bike frame for added security. I have done it multiple times now. It's pretty fast and easy. The problem is that with a cordless grinder pretty much anything can be cut very quickly.

Sponsored

R1T311

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Camaro SS, 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Clubs

My setup:

Found the Rocky Mounts 47” track and their HotRod bike mounts that work in the track.

The beds existing bolt holes on the bottom of the cab side wall worked perfectly. The existing outside mounting holes on the 47” Track fit perfectly without modifications. The track is just the right size for the bed as well. I only made two extra holes in the track to secure the track to all 4 holes at the bottom. The M6 hardware that comes with the track also works so no need to find new hardware.

The mounts can slide anywhere on the track, which is real nice.

Track: https://rockymounts.com/products/47-bolt-on-track.html

HotRod Mount: https://rockymounts.com/products/hotrod.html

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking IMG_4509

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking IMG_4513

Gee Bee

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw tdi golf -chevy SSR-997 Turbo S
Occupation
Design
1up single rack

No problem for drop down for clearance, Iam riding a HPC Rev XX
92lbs / 10k watt motor

So far 87 mph

GB

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
I don't know if it was on this thread but definitely on this forum. I saw someone put the crossbar through the bike frame for added security. I have done it multiple times now. It's pretty fast and easy. The problem is that with a cordless grinder pretty much anything can be cut very quickly.
I've been doing the crossbar trick and it's about as much of a security guarantee as you'll get with any exterior carrying solution. A grinder could get through it but it would take several minutes and is way over the conspicuity threshold that tends to limit bike thefts.

I wouldn't leave it in a bad neighborhood overnight like that, but for post-ride beers or at the trailhead it's the best option IMO.

If I have mine on the hitch rack or crossbar mount I use a couple 1UP wheel locks and the Gear Guard cable, but a solid hammer and heavy duty wire cutter would get through that in less than a minute.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking 1686582586230

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking 1686582627922

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking 1686582675770

Last edited:

capitolm94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Loving my R1T for biking! I am using the RaceFace T2 pad in the tacoma size, works well for 2 bikes. Fits 4 but then the forks dont lay on the extra thick padding blocks anymore.

The gear tunnel is awesome for storing towels, shoes, etc and using the door as a seat to change shoes and socks if wet is ideal.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking 1686539978340

CPolism

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Allroad, Ford Edge
Occupation
Risk Management
Clubs

Did RJ give an estimate to when they were releasing the tailgate pad? I’m hoping it’s sometime soon considering they just started shipping the manual tonneau.
Sponsored

Last edited: