Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
PPF/Wrap Shop Owner
Hey Rivian Owners!

One of the most common questions we get asked at Impero Motorsport is, "What's the difference between ceramic coating and paint protection film (PPF)?" Well, let's dive into it and explore each option, so you can make an informed decision for your Rivian.

Ceramic Coating: :

1. Unmatched Gloss and Shine: Ceramic coatings provide an unparalleled level of gloss, making your Rivian look stunningly fresh and new.
  2. Enhanced Protection: These hydrophobic coatings create a protective layer that shields your vehicle from UV rays, oxidation, bird droppings, and other contaminants, helping to maintain its original paintwork.
  3. Ease of Maintenance: Ceramic coatings make cleaning a breeze by repelling dirt, water, and grime, ensuring that your Rivian stays cleaner for longer periods.
  4. Long-Lasting: With proper maintenance, ceramic coatings can provide durable protection for years, eliminating the need for frequent reapplication.

Paint Protection Film (PPF):

1. Superior Physical Protection: PPF acts as a barrier against rock chips, scratches, and other minor damages, preserving the integrity of your Rivian's paintwork.
  2. Self-Healing Properties: PPF products have self-healing properties, where minor scratches and swirl marks disappear with heat or time.
  3. Invisible Defense: PPF is transparent, providing a nearly invisible layer of protection, maintaining the original appearance of your Rivian.

Ultimately, the choice between ceramic coating and PPF depends on your specific needs and preferences. If you prioritize enhancing gloss and ease of maintenance, ceramic coating may be your best bet. On the other hand, if you desire physical protection against rock chips and scratches, with nearly invisible coverage, PPF is a great option.

At Impero Motorsport, we offer both ceramic coating and paint protection film services. Our knowledgeable team can help guide you through the decision-making process, considering your Rivian's unique characteristics and your expectations.

Still have questions? Feel free to ask away! We're here to assist you in making the best choice for your Rivian.
Sponsored

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
What can/should be done to protect and keep all of the black plastic looking good?

Reactions: Guy
OP
OP
ImperoMotorsport

ImperoMotorsport

Site Sponsor
First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
PPF/Wrap Shop Owner
Great question. For a more long lasting protection, Ceramic Pro Plastics coating is what I would recommend. That is included in our ceramic coating packages. For a restorative product, VRP protectant by Chemical Guys is a good one!

Gee Bee

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw tdi golf -chevy SSR-997 Turbo S
Occupation
Design
Best appearance and uv protection

remove and hydro dip / water transfer in your spec of carbon fiber color, lower trim can now be ppf as it a smooth finish.

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

And what about ceramic coating the PPF? What about ceramic over stealth PPF? Does it affect the matte appearance?

Sponsored

OP
OP
ImperoMotorsport

ImperoMotorsport

Site Sponsor
First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
PPF/Wrap Shop Owner
I always recommend Ceramic coating on top of PPF because of how easy it makes it to clean and maintain. The hydrophobicity makes a huge difference in cleaning and giving you more time between washes. Also gives a barrier so certain solvents are less likely to stain your PPF.
On top of matte PPF, I wouldn't say it changes the finish all that much. Just makes a bit more sheen but so much so that you lose the fact that it is a flat finish.

OP
OP
ImperoMotorsport

ImperoMotorsport

Site Sponsor
First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
PPF/Wrap Shop Owner
Different products offer different advantages. A lot goes into keeping the car looking pristine!

John G.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Retired
PPF to protect the paint, ceramic coating to protect PPF, and a few other maintenance products to protect the ceramic coating 😀.
I agree totally! I did PPF with ceramic coating above so "Hercules" would hardly suffer vengeful road affliction, or run over any 9 headed hydras. ;)

OP
OP
ImperoMotorsport

ImperoMotorsport

Site Sponsor
First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
PPF/Wrap Shop Owner
I agree totally! I did PPF with ceramic coating above so "Hercules" would hardly suffer vengeful road affliction, or run over any 9 headed hydras. ;)
Awesome! What are your thoughts on having both PPF and ceramic coating?

Sponsored

John G.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Retired
Awesome! What are your thoughts on having both PPF and ceramic coating?
For me, it is like having double the protection with the benefits of both coatings.

Now, I'm planning to have the ceramic coating done again in a couple years to keep up the overall performance and characteristics of ceramic coating hydrophobics, since I use touchless car washes regularly, and never wash my truck by hand.

The truck is also kept outside, not in the the garage. And the truck finish takes both the weather and touchless carwash chemical abuse. So, I'll just monitor the finish on the truck, make adjustments and see how it goes.

OP
OP
ImperoMotorsport

ImperoMotorsport

Site Sponsor
First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
PPF/Wrap Shop Owner
For me, it is like having double the protection with the benefits of both coatings.

Now, I'm planning to have the ceramic coating done again in a couple years to keep up the overall performance and characteristics of ceramic coating hydrophobics, since I use touchless car washes regularly, and never wash my truck by hand.

The truck is also kept outside, not in the the garage. And the truck finish takes both the weather and touchless carwash chemical abuse. So, I'll just monitor the finish on the truck, make adjustments and see how it goes.
Reapplication in a few years is a great idea, especially since the truck is kept outside. I definitely recommend going with the PPF with ceramic coating on top.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Having used all kinds of coatings including ceramic, wax, and sealants over the years I am going to push back on the narrative that ceramic coatings are "unmatched" in gloss.

Below is a photo of my detailer applying Klasse high gloss sealant to my i3s. I challenge you to show me a vehicle with ceramic coating that beats this.

Klasse has been in business for 30+ years and their acrylic based sealants last a year, need no special maintenance like ceramic (i.e. hand washing, ph neutral soaps and no automatic car washes) and cost 1/20th what ceramic does because you need no paint correction and the sealant goes on as part of a regular detail.

Even the best ceramic coatings specify in the fine print that the oleophobic properties only last 2 years max and you need to reapply the coating to maintain this - and that is assuming you hand wash, avoid harsh soaps that can strip the coating and avoid automatic car washes.

Ceramic coatings have properties that sealants do not, but in my humble opinion those advantages are not worth 20 times the cost.

Rivian R1T R1S Ceramic Coating vs. PPF 1684202105561

OP
OP
ImperoMotorsport

ImperoMotorsport

Site Sponsor
First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
PPF/Wrap Shop Owner
Everyone has a different need/want with their cars. What suits you may not suit others. Totally understand the advantages of Klasse, but ceramic coating properties shouldn't be shrugged off either. A lot of great advantages that a ceramic coating provides over a sealant. To each their own! We just want to educate without speaking poorly about other options so people can make a decision that works best for them from there!

cohnhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I'm sure these prices change a bit with market and product.... but what do you charge for PPF, ceramic, and both PPF/ceramic on the R1S and R1T?
Sponsored