Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Wonder if Rivian is going to regret downsizing their max pack.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Seems about right assuming the same 212kWh pack that is in the Hummer. Still ugly though but if you need to tow long distances this seems like a better option than the lightning or the R1T

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
It will be interesting to see how much the full-range Silverado will weigh and how that translates into tire wear ...

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
An interesting problem with the giant battery packs is simply they take longer to charge - especially if you're not using a DCFC.

Imagine you get home after dinner, plug in your new Silverado or Ram Rev, and wait 15 hours for it to charge to 80%.

I think Rivian's real competition is going to be the electric Tacoma/Ranger/Canyon

EmPickle

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Honda Odyssey, Miata
Occupation
Geek
It will be interesting to see how much the full-range Silverado will weigh and how that translates into tire wear ...
And cost. Like the Hummer, it's not going to be cheap which may provide something of an umbrella for Rivian.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
450 mi range is impressive no matter what you think of the looks, etc.

FWIW- GM is not "best conditions/going downhill" range like Tesla. My 2014 Volt and 2017 Bolt both always hit advertised range + unless it was horrendously bad weather.

Last edited:

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Anything we see in the market that helps a large portion of the public get over range anxiety - whether that be real, or perceived - IMO is a good thing.

My personal preference is to go smaller, so I am looking forward to the R2 and, hopefully, a more svelte R1, in the future. But I’m glad this exists and good on GM for upping their range.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TexasBob

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
And cost. Like the Hummer, it's not going to be cheap which may provide something of an umbrella for Rivian.
We know the launch edition is $105k. We shall see after that. Rival should be able to stay competitive.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

An interesting problem with the giant battery packs is simply they take longer to charge - especially if you're not using a DCFC.

Imagine you get home after dinner, plug in your new Silverado or Ram Rev, and wait 15 hours for it to charge to 80%.

I think Rivian's real competition is going to be the electric Tacoma/Ranger/Canyon
They are putting an 80A charger in the truck vs Rivian's 48A. Charge time from 0-100% will be similar between the R1T large pack and Silverado even though the Silverado has 63% more usable battery.

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
They are putting an 80A charger in the truck vs Rivian's 48A. Charge time from 0-100% will be similar between the R1T large pack and Silverado even though the Silverado has 63% more usable battery.
Most homes don't have a dedicated 100A circuit they could put an 80A charger on.

You can make it run off of unobtanium, but it's irrelevant if you can't get it.

Taco Corp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

I don't tow anything, but from what I've seen of DC fast chargers in my travels there haven't been many places I've stopped that would easily fit the truck + trailer for charging. For those who are towing trailers, how are you managing that? The RAN charger I used in Sacramento had one space that was pull through but even that looked to be a tight fit especially with a full parking lot.

Assuming you had to travel more than 150-200 miles one way and needed to charge it seems like it could be a pain to deal with.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Most homes don't have a dedicated 100A circuit they could put an 80A charger on.

You can make it run off of unobtanium, but it's irrelevant if you can't get it.
Most homes can get their service upgraded. The nice thing is the upgrade stays when you eventually sell the vehicle and buy something else so it's a one time cost.
Sponsored