TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

I'm a long ways from my R1S delivery, but was wondering about this. I use Tesla's Chill Mode in my Model X and Y - it is key for my daughter who is inclined to get car sick. Does Rivian have something like that, or is Snow Mode the best alternative?
Yeah, snow is the most Chill. There is a conserve option that will disengage the rear motors but not a good choice for day to day driving given the impact on tire wear. Conserve is really only for long distance steady speed driving, e g highway.
Sponsored

Tibi

First Name
S.L.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X
Whatā€™s your home charging set up? I only ask as the R1S is scheduled for Aug/Sept and weā€˜re planning on getting a Tesla M3 as our eldest takes her test in August and, assuming she passes, thats the last weā€˜ll see of the Wrangler! Im planning on either a Rivian or Tesla wall charger and the appropriate adapter rather than both wall chargers
We had the same question when we got our EVS - my husband and I both moved to EVs at the same time - he got the R1T and I got a Tesla X while I was waiting to get the R1S. We ended up using the Rivian charger that he had ordered with the R1T for both cars. We just used the Tesla adapter. It worked great for us. I just got my R1S so now we are both using the one Rivian charger. It doesnā€™t have to be a Rivian charger, but if you are getting the Tesla for your kid and not for you, I wouldnā€™t get a Tesla charger. You may be using your charger a lot longer than they do. I hope this helps.

omsatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX470, Lexus ES350
Occupation
Physician
Yeah, snow is the most Chill. There is a conserve option that will disengage the rear motors but not a good choice for day to day driving given the impact on tire wear. Conserve is really only for long distance steady speed driving, e g highway.
Can you please expand on that comment regarding "not a good choice for day to day driving"? I'm genuinely curious as I mainly drive in conserve mode. Is this a manufacturer recommendation? Is your only concern disproportionate tire wear for the front relative to rear? Or are there other reasons for recommending against it?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

Can you please expand on that comment regarding "not a good choice for day to day driving"? I'm genuinely curious as I mainly drive in conserve mode. Is this a manufacturer recommendation? Is your only concern disproportionate tire wear for the front relative to rear? Or are there other reasons for recommending against it?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
The owners guide does indicate it is intended for long trips. One reason to avoid use is the disproportionate wear. The other is to avoid the extra strain on the front engines with the constant acceleration and deceleration in the city driving.

I have also observed that since you lose the rear regenerative braking, the benefits of efficiency are offset in a more stop and go type of city driving.

bigstick0310

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 RX450h
Took delivery on 05/05 of R1S Adventure, Rivian Blue, Ocean Coast on 21" - Cookie Monster (my daughter thought the color looked like CM).

Took my first long trip on 05/13 from Central Florida to Hilton Head and loved the drive!

Unfortunately, the charging stops were a disaster. Electrify America in Bunswick GA, advertised as 350kw received 16kw.

Filled for my $7,500 TAX CREDIT yesterday and got accepted by the IRS shortly thereafter.

Sponsored

omsatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX470, Lexus ES350
Occupation
Physician
The owners guide does indicate it is intended for long trips. One reason to avoid use is the disproportionate wear. The other is to avoid the extra strain on the front engines with the constant acceleration and deceleration in the city driving.

I have also observed that since you lose the rear regenerative braking, the benefits of efficiency are offset in a more stop and go type of city driving.
Thanks! Guess I'll have to switch to all purpose mode. I would have assumed that it just becomes a 2wd vehicle like most other cars out there. I learned something today.

tbradley1015

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S4
Took delivery on 05/05 of R1S Adventure, Rivian Blue, Ocean Coast on 21" - Cookie Monster (my daughter thought the color looked like CM).

Took my first long trip on 05/13 from Central Florida to Hilton Head and loved the drive!

Unfortunately, the charging stops were a disaster. Electrify America in Bunswick GA, advertised as 350kw received 16kw.

Filled for my $7,500 TAX CREDIT yesterday and got accepted by the IRS shortly thereafter.
Assuming you already filed your 2022 taxes, did you just file an amendment with the ev credit added?
Sponsored