Sponsored

MDER04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Tesla M3P, '23 Rivian R1S, '15 Infiniti QX60
Occupation
Physician
Since August 2021, we have had a black on black R1S with 21s on order. Two weeks ago, I requested R1S shop access, well, because I was trying to get lucky. Wednesday, I checked the site at 5:30am EST and the line at the top told me I had limited time access to the shop. I looked and there were four cars available to me. The first was a black/black/21" car ready to order! After four times re-freshing and checking the specs, I ordered, locking in the "new" specifications. By 10am, I was receiving Rivian text messages for arranging delivery. By noon, I had delivery arranged to my house for 11am on Friday. The Rivian guide was awesome. She had to "bug" me to update my USAA insurance to activate coverage immediately. The Rivian delivery went smoothly. The Rivian Delivery guy was awesome. My VIN is in the 8000s with a 2023 build.

My back info: I am a car person but I am not obsessed with panel gaps or paint appearance. I hate rattles. I come from a 2003 350z, a few Audis, last being my 2014 Audi S4, and now a 2023 Tesla Model 3 performance, for 1.5 months. My wife will be the primary driver of the Rivian and she is coming from a 2015 Infiniti QX60. The QX60 looks dated but has a wonderful smooth drive (as long as you aren't at 15-25mph when the awful CVT can't figure out what to do.)

First impressions: The Black on Black with 21s is just stunning!!!! The panel gaps are uniform everywhere. The paint looks awesome. (I'm not planning to PPF it, but I probably will get ceramic coating after paint correction.) The interior appearance/luxury look holds up well against the GLS450 we considered seriously back in 2021, before ordering this. The steering feel is maybe a little lighter than I like. The wheel size, heft and diameter are great. The seats are firmer than I expected, coming from the S4/QX60 and now the 2023 M3P. I hope they soften (quickly) with time. For the ride, I think I need to be clear, this car is likely never going off road except to drive on the grass for overflow parking... :)

On smooth highway and smooth road, it is awesome. Regen low is very easy to modulate. The occasional noises with startup and the hydraulic pump are all fine. I hear them but they aren' distracting. In all purpose mode, the speed is great, but the acceleration feels better in sport mode. I've stuck with all purpose.

Concerns and suggestions? My wife is going to drive the car for her first, longer than delivery day 7 minute drive, in 45 minutes, and I am anxiously awaiting her 'concerns' because it is jouncy, sometimes banging over expansion joints and irregular road surfaces. It has an incredibly sensitive pedal when at 10-20 mph going over speed bumps or irregular surfaces. Rivian, can you make a "City Mode" or "Softy mode?" Make the pedal less sensitive, make the rebound on the dampers a little softer? I don't want it turning into an old wallowing boat, but potholes shouldn't make it so unsettled. When I hit irregular road and speed bumps, my foot shouldn't make the car surge and relax and surge because my foot is moving/undulating the pedal with the movement.

I love the machine. I hope my wife does. It will 'figuratively' devastate my children (and me) if she doesn't love it enough to keep it. Thank you Rivian for making such an amazing beast! I drove it to pick up my teen kids on Friday, 3 hours into owning it. When I got to my kids for pickup, my daughter had to ask the boy in the front seat (her friend) to please get out. Early in the car line, he came up and was checking it out so hard that I asked him to ride along until the pickup. The looks are fun and a little daunting when many people are just staring. It was raining last night, so I'm not sure my kids are going to get over having to ride in the Tesla for drop off for prom pictures and pick up in the QX60. The shame!!

Rivian R1T R1S Took delivery of R1S months early and we are so... lucky. IMG-1581

Rivian R1T R1S Took delivery of R1S months early and we are so... lucky. IMG-1582
Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
it can take time to get used to the sounds and feel of the drive. enjoy!!!! and post some pictures !

Shaqdeez

First Name
Shaq
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mazda CX9
Since August 2021, we have had a black on black R1S with 21s on order. Two weeks ago, I requested R1S shop access, well, because I was trying to get lucky. Wednesday, I checked the site at 5:30am EST and the line at the top told me I had limited time access to the shop. I looked and there were four cars available to me. The first was a black/black/21" car ready to order! After four times re-freshing and checking the specs, I ordered, locking in the "new" specifications. By 10am, I was receiving Rivian text messages for arranging delivery. By noon, I had delivery arranged to my house for 11am on Friday. The Rivian guide was awesome. She had to "bug" me to update my USAA insurance to activate coverage immediately. The Rivian delivery went smoothly. The Rivian Delivery guy was awesome. My VIN is in the 8000s with a 2023 build.

My back info: I am a car person but I am not obsessed with panel gaps or paint appearance. I hate rattles. I come from a 2003 350z, a few Audis, last being my 2014 Audi S4, and now a 2023 Tesla Model 3 performance, for 1.5 months. My wife will be the primary driver of the Rivian and she is coming from a 2015 Infiniti QX60. The QX60 looks dated but has a wonderful smooth drive (as long as you aren't at 15-25mph when the awful CVT can't figure out what to do.)

First impressions: The Black on Black with 21s is just stunning!!!! The panel gaps are uniform everywhere. The paint looks awesome. (I'm not planning to PPF it, but I probably will get ceramic coating after paint correction.) The interior appearance/luxury look holds up well against the GLS450 we considered seriously back in 2021, before ordering this. The steering feel is maybe a little lighter than I like. The wheel size, heft and diameter are great. The seats are firmer than I expected, coming from the S4/QX60 and now the 2023 M3P. I hope they soften (quickly) with time. For the ride, I think I need to be clear, this car is likely never going off road except to drive on the grass for overflow parking... :)

On smooth highway and smooth road, it is awesome. Regen low is very easy to modulate. The occasional noises with startup and the hydraulic pump are all fine. I hear them but they aren' distracting. In all purpose mode, the speed is great, but the acceleration feels better in sport mode. I've stuck with all purpose.

Concerns and suggestions? My wife is going to drive the car for her first, longer than delivery day 7 minute drive, in 45 minutes, and I am anxiously awaiting her 'concerns' because it is jouncy, sometimes banging over expansion joints and irregular road surfaces. It has an incredibly sensitive pedal when at 10-20 mph going over speed bumps or irregular surfaces. Rivian, can you make a "City Mode" or "Softy mode?" Make the pedal less sensitive, make the rebound on the dampers a little softer? I don't want it turning into an old wallowing boat, but potholes shouldn't make it so unsettled. When I hit irregular road and speed bumps, my foot shouldn't make the car surge and relax and surge because my foot is moving/undulating the pedal with the movement.

I love the machine. I hope my wife does. It will 'figuratively' devastate my children (and me) if she doesn't love it enough to keep it. Thank you Rivian for making such an amazing beast! I drove it to pick up my teen kids on Friday, 3 hours into owning it. When I got to my kids for pickup, my daughter had to ask the boy in the front seat (her friend) to please get out. Early in the car line, he came up and was checking it out so hard that I asked him to ride along until the pickup. The looks are fun and a little daunting when many people are just staring. It was raining last night, so I'm not sure my kids are going to get over having to ride in the Tesla for drop off for prom pictures and pick up in the QX60. The shame!!
Great stuff!!! That was an easy read. You should consider writing a book!

Crazyrivianenthu.

First Name
Kishore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328, Honda accord
Occupation
Engineer
Congrats!! Hope you are enjoying the car.
I am in the similar boat and looking to take delivery soon. Question for you, did you use 3rd party financing if so does Rivian need the check to received and processed by them before delivery or it is sufficient with the photo and tracking number ?
Thanks

TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

Two words

snow mode

it will not change the suspension, just leave it in normal, but it is the only mode I use when my wife drives the R1T.

it just smoothed out the acceleration and deceleration

Sponsored

e4gaa1104

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S Tesla Model 3 Jeep Wrangler 4XE
Clubs

What’s your home charging set up? I only ask as the R1S is scheduled for Aug/Sept and we‘re planning on getting a Tesla M3 as our eldest takes her test in August and, assuming she passes, thats the last we‘ll see of the Wrangler! Im planning on either a Rivian or Tesla wall charger and the appropriate adapter rather than both wall chargers

OP
OP

MDER04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Tesla M3P, '23 Rivian R1S, '15 Infiniti QX60
Occupation
Physician
Rivian R1T R1S Took delivery of R1S months early and we are so... lucky. IMG-1589

What’s your home charging set up? I only ask as the R1S is scheduled for Aug/Sept and we‘re planning on getting a Tesla M3 as our eldest takes her test in August and, assuming she passes, thats the last we‘ll see of the Wrangler! Im planning on either a Rivian or Tesla wall charger and the appropriate adapter rather than both wall chargers
Tesla gen 3 charger with Tesla adapter to Rivian J plug. May get 2nd Tesla charger with J plug if we keep Rivian. Today was brutal; my wife felt the Rivian was too big. We might return it. Really a shock to the rest of the family! 🤯😳

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Rivian, can you make a "City Mode" or "Softy mode?" Make the pedal less sensitive, make the rebound on the dampers a little softer? I don't want it turning into an old wallowing boat, but potholes shouldn't make it so unsettled.
It's already pretty wallowy and boat-like in Soft suspension at Standard height. Stiff feels much more controlled, but only on smooth roads. When the road gets rough stiff is too stiff. I almost wish there was a setting between Stiff and Soft, but also wish that the roll control was a discrete setting from the damping profile of the shocks.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Don't worry, we have the same vehicle as you but in white. It is orignially bought for me, but now she took it permanently and leave her model 3 to me.
Make sure to put it on "all purpose" mode and low regeneration at all time for her. Also, reminds her that this is a truck and not a sedan :) All purpose mode already put it at soft suspension, but still a little bouncy compared to the tesla model 3. She got used to it quickly. We even took a few long trips in conserve mode with her driving and she definitely noticed it is a little bit stiffer than all purpose mode but she also got used to that too.
I would remove the aero cover and powdercoated the 21" wheels black and chrome deleted it as well. It would look so good with your all black r1s !

Rivian R1T R1S Took delivery of R1S months early and we are so... lucky. IMG_1837

Last edited:

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Today was brutal; my wife felt the Rivian was too big. We might return it. Really a shock to the rest of the family! 🤯😳
The R2 line is going to be the better size for a lot of people who don't need 3 rows.

Shnork

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan rouge , Subaru Legacy
Occupation
pA
be nice to see what the R2 line looks like, wish they could adjust ride comfort for the R1S.
hopefully with some further tweeks to software. Your ride looked awesome.
I wonder if riding in snow mode all the time around town has and down side to hardware ?

Greg614

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S (on order)
Don't worry, we have the same vehicle as you but in white. It is orignially bought for me, but now she took it permanently and leave her model 3 to me.
Make sure to put it on "all purpose" mode and low regeneration at all time for her. Also, reminds her that this is a truck and not a sedan :) All purpose mode already put it at soft suspension, but still a little bouncy compared to the tesla model 3. She got used to it quickly. We even took a few long trips in conserve mode with her driving and she definitely noticed it is a little bit stiffer than all purpose mode but she also got used to that too.
I would remove the aero cover and powdercoated the 21" wheels black and chrome deleted it as well. It would look so good with your all black r1s !

IMG_1837.jpeg
That looks great!
how do you chrome delete?

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
That looks great!
how do you chrome delete?
I bought mine from twraps. You can also ask any car wrapping place if you don't want to DIY

PeterSK

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 FG/FE R1S, 2020 Model Y
Occupation
Retired / board director
Clubs

Two words

snow mode

it will not change the suspension, just leave it in normal, but it is the only mode I use when my wife drives the R1T.

it just smoothed out the acceleration and deceleration
I'm a long ways from my R1S delivery, but was wondering about this. I use Tesla's Chill Mode in my Model X and Y - it is key for my daughter who is inclined to get car sick. Does Rivian have something like that, or is Snow Mode the best alternative?
Sponsored