Sponsored

Tesla Cybertruck Went From Exoskeleton Marvel to Unibody Honda Ridgeline Competitor

Rad_ry

First Name
Reece
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5
Occupation
Finance
I think Tesla has created great products and deserves almost all of the credit for really pushing EV adoption forward. We wouldn't have Rivian without Tesla….
I don’t think a lot of people appreciate how long Rivian have been at it for. They were in stealth mode for more than 10 years prior to launch. Yes, they’ll be learning lessons by observing Tesla but don’t think it’s fair to say Tesla gave us Rivian.
Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I have two early launch date reservations (didn’t think the first one within 30 secs of the website opening went through). I won’t drive that thing ever, but I’ll buy and flip if the price is right
@lg3103, accept both Cybertruck’s!!!

Early reservation holders will fetch huge profits when flipping the Cybertruck due to overwhelming demand. The “must have it now” crowd will pay way over MSRP. I predict a $30k - $60k profit can be made on the early production trucks when flipped on eBay, BAT or C&B.

I was fortunate enough to see the Cybertruck concept truck in person. It’s one of those vehicles that doesn’t look good in 2D videos or photos. When seen in the flesh however the brutalist styling and proportions look fantastic.

I predict a lot of Cybertruck haters will change their opinion once they start seeing the stainless steel wedge roaming around on public streets.

Cybertruck. Designed by aliens, driven by humans.

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla Cybertruck Went From Exoskeleton Marvel to Unibody Honda Ridgeline Competitor 6026783B-F56B-45EE-9A05-6A6C108D838C

Last edited:

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
I don’t think a lot of people appreciate how long Rivian have been at it for. They were in stealth mode for more than 10 years prior to launch. Yes, they’ll be learning lessons by observing Tesla but don’t think it’s fair to say Tesla gave us Rivian.
What it comes down to is this: does Rivian get billions in funding if Tesla goes out of business in 2015 or 2016? The answer is no.

In Silicon Valley, the process is that an entrepreneur convinces a VC to fund a very high risk project. If it works out, that initial company makes a ton of money and shortly after the investors who missed out try to find the "next" version of that company once there is a proven market.

If Elon didn't prove it could be done, I just don't see it. Another EV company likely comes around but not so shortly after Tesla would have failed.

Elon helped save the company strategically and financially. It's fair to say he was the founder of the real Tesla that succeeded.

Another piece is the technology Tesla brought to the table and the software driven platform they have created. Not to mention everything from the interior design, to UI, to ownership experience and buying process are identical.

I'd go as far as to say the R1T is basically what everyone thought the cyber truck would be.

Personally, It's another reason I like Rivian because I like those things about Tesla. Rivian is still catching up right now. The question comes in 1-2 years when there is software parity with today's product, how does Rivian differentiate itself more?

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
What it comes down to is this: does Rivian get billions in funding if Tesla goes out of business in 2015 or 2016? The answer is no.

In Silicon Valley, the process is that an entrepreneur convinces a VC to fund a very high risk project. If it works out, that initial company makes a ton of money and shortly after the investors who missed out try to find the "next" version of that company once there is a proven market.

If Elon didn't prove it could be done, I just don't see it. Another EV company likely comes around but not so shortly after Tesla would have failed.

Elon helped save the company strategically and financially. It's fair to say he was the founder of the real Tesla that succeeded.

Another piece is the technology Tesla brought to the table and the software driven platform they have created. Not to mention everything from the interior design, to UI, to ownership experience and buying process are identical.

I'd go as far as to say the R1T is basically what everyone thought the cyber truck would be.

Personally, It's another reason I like Rivian because I like those things about Tesla. Rivian is still catching up right now. The question comes in 1-2 years when there is software parity with today's product, how does Rivian differentiate itself more?
I would agree with this post. Elon paved the way for everyone else even the majors that are getting into the field. When Tesla started EVs were a party trick and he turned them into a viable source of transportation. Tesla's success paved the way and showed that money can be made from electric vehicles and that people want to buy them.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I predict a lot of Cybertruck haters will change their opinion once they start seeing the stainless steel wedge roaming around on public streets.

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla Cybertruck Went From Exoskeleton Marvel to Unibody Honda Ridgeline Competitor 6026783b-f56b-45ee-9a05-6a6c108d838c-jpe
Rivian R1T R1S Tesla Cybertruck Went From Exoskeleton Marvel to Unibody Honda Ridgeline Competitor th-241611512

Who did it better?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
@lg3103, accept both Cybertruck’s!!!

Early reservation holders will fetch huge profits when flipping the Cybertruck due to overwhelming demand. The “must have it now” crowd will pay way over MSRP. I predict a $30k - $60k profit can be made on the early production trucks when flipped on eBay, BAT or C&B.

I was fortunate enough to see the Cybertruck concept truck in person. It’s one of those vehicles that doesn’t look good in 2D videos or photos. When seen in the flesh however the brutalist styling and proportions look fantastic.

Cybertruck. Designed by aliens, driven by humans.

6026783B-F56B-45EE-9A05-6A6C108D838C.jpeg

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Does this reduce the towing capacity from "near infinite" to "sort of infinite" or just "marginally infinite" ? Or does it improve towing capacity "to infinity and beyond" ?

1683212378625.png
The only thing that is "to infinity and beyond" is Melon's ego.

Jdrexler

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Quad/Large. 2009 Toyota Tundra.
Occupation
Healthcare
Does this reduce the towing capacity from "near infinite" to "sort of infinite" or just "marginally infinite" ? Or does it improve towing capacity "to infinity and beyond" ?

1683212378625.png
Infinitely moderate

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
They say laughter is the best medicine. I just hope I can force a laugh out before I become physically ill.
I will need a TON of medicine to get past the way that looks. Whether it’s laughter or bourbon I don’t care…🤮🥃😌

Underwhirled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, RIT
Occupation
Architect
So if the body is not an exoskeleton, what is the purpose of the stainless steel at this point. Not needed for load transfer. Why not just use aluminum to decrease weight and increase range. It is just the “back to the future” look factor?

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

Let's not get carried away with dramatic conclusions based off of what one guy at Munro said regarding a single photo. Munro & Associates have been wrong before. We've all been wrong at least once when speculating over "teaser" images.

I'm not suggesting that the Cybertruck will actually feature true exoskeleton construction, but I do think we should hold our scathing criticisms over broken promises until we actually know that promises have been broken.

The "near infinite mass" promise is still fair game, though...

Big Bad VooDoo

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Medical
... or smart, depends how you view it. Elon didn't force anyone to hand over $100 a pop for a reservation which gives early adopters/flippers a very cheap call option (and Tesla a 0% loan).

I agree with you though, Rivian could learn a lot from Tesla (both good and bad).
I see your point clearly. Rivian took some of the air out of flipping since most older reservation holders were pushed back in the production line. As a 2020 reservation holder and getting pushed out to the Q1 of 24. I was a little pissed. R1S, 22 inch rims, OC, White, large pack. Should have been a simple order to fill. I did pick one out of the shop but it was my second favorite color but I,m happy with it.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
The reason Model 3 gets more range has nothing to do with having a smaller battery pack. The reason is Tesla has more efficient drivetrain and software controller coupled with much lighter vehicle.

My M3 averages 3.6~3.7 miles/kWh at mostly driving at 80mph w/AC on 100% of the time. Everything I've seen Rivian do at best is around 2.5 miles/kWh.
Errr... A smaller battery pack is a lot of why a Model 3 weighs less than a Rivian. However, that's not why they're much more efficient. The drivetrain and software might be a small factor, but they're also not the biggest factor. The biggest factor, by far, is the shape of the vehicle, which facilitates an extremely low drag coefficient for a car. Model 3's is 0.23. R1T's is 0.30. Considering drag is exponential, that makes a big difference. A typical midsize truck, btw, is in the .45 to .5 range.
Sponsored