First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
This was from the Colorado Rivian Club Facebook page. Apparently this is a "FSAM-407" fix that you can reference.

1682519731898.png

1682519891804.png
Interesting. Appears to be the same issue I have with small bumps/uneven pavement. Any others get this fix and did it eliminate the front clunky noises?
Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Interesting. Appears to be the same issue I have with small bumps/uneven pavement. Any others get this fix and did it eliminate the front clunky noises?
Mine goes in tomorrow for the fix, will let you know how it goes.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Mine goes in tomorrow for the fix, will let you know how it goes.
I’m thinking this is the same fix…unless it’s an even newer and improved washer, etc. I still have tick/tock clink/clunk getting on/off throttle. This was done in February.

Rivian R1T R1S New Rivian customer satisfaction campaign -- halfshaft issue (on 2022 R1S and R1T) IMG_6995

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I’m thinking this is the same fix…unless it’s an even newer and improved washer, etc. I still have tick/tock clink/clunk getting on/off throttle. This was done in February.

IMG_6995.jpeg
I'm hopeful mine will be fixed with this service visit. FWIW, the Denver center has been amazing and I feel very fortunate to live near such a great service center. Appointment was booked within 10 days of calling, they are looking at a few other things and said they'd likely need my truck for 48-72 hours so they are providing me a loaner which is pretty great as well since I was expecting Lyft credits.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Can this fix be done by mobile service or only at SCs?
Also is it correct to think this fix of the washers would be installed at the factory on new vehicles being produced?

Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I'm hopeful mine will be fixed with this service visit. FWIW, the Denver center has been amazing and I feel very fortunate to live near such a great service center. Appointment was booked within 10 days of calling, they are looking at a few other things and said they'd likely need my truck for 48-72 hours so they are providing me a loaner which is pretty great as well since I was expecting Lyft credits.
I dropped mine off with them today for a tire rotation and to see if I can get the clunk fixed. I mentioned the FSAM to the tech, and I think they'll apply it to my vehicle, but they haven't sent me an updated work order yet, so TBD.

And completely agree, we're incredibly lucky to have the Denver SC. Based on others' posts, it seems to be the best in the country. Especially as it relates to how fast they can get us in.

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
I picked my truck up from Service on Monday and they did install the ting washers. I haven't driven more than a 100 miles so far, but no noticeable difference in noise at this point.

C12farmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE vehicles
I thought "ting washer" was a typo. After some searching, it looks like that is the correct terminology. Glad to see ting washer is a real thing, because a tin washer would not be a durable fix.

Found a Ford TSB referring to similar drive shaft clunking. Seems none of these driveline complaints are anything new to the automotive industry.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10179116-0001.pdf

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I thought "ting washer" was a typo. After some searching, it looks like that is the correct terminology. Glad to see ting washer is a real thing, because a tin washer would not be a durable fix.

Found a Ford TSB referring to similar drive shaft clunking. Seems none of these driveline complaints are anything new to the automotive industry.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10179116-0001.pdf
The Ting stands for Tick-ing/Tock-ing.....maybe. ;)

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Has anybody has this done by a mobile visit?

Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T

IMG_6995.jpeg
So I’m a first time truck owner. But I’ve never had these suspension noise issues from any new SUV or sedan economy or luxury car, my Lexus developed some suspension noise at 120k miles.. but i just have no idea if this is normal for a truck. The sound doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence. I’m getting the commonly discussed low speed ticking / tocking on acceleration and braking and clunking from the rear suspension going over pretty mild bumps.

Currently under 1000 miles (2023 build). I am pretty accepting with minor/ moderate issues after owning two teslas, but I have some more moderate / major ones that my truck is going in for in about a month (dent on delivery, paint issues, alignment, interior / exterior panels loose with broken clips, driver door and door handle squeak/creak etc + now front and rear suspension). I’ve never bought a car or suv and been driven to start just thinking/considering the possibility of alternatives so soon after purchase.. having two month waits for service isn’t easy either.

I am very much rooting for the company as a shareholder and now as a vehicle owner and to a degree accept the whole beta tester logic of buying from a new company, but even with my pre march pricing at 80k msrp the $/issues ratio is creating some pause. There is no doubt the truck offers a ton of unique features, incredible performance, and capabilities, I’m just hoping for some reassurance that longevity is part of that mix (since I tend to own my vehicles for some time) - let’s see how service goes.

Last edited:

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I have a service appointment for some other issues coming up, nothing related to halfshafts or drivetrain issues with none reported, but Rivian has added this to my ticket to have done while the truck is in for service. Interesting to me since I've been free of the halfshaft related issues that many have experienced. VIN is in the 9000s with a July manufacture date.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

3000s VIN and just got the email today about this applying to Broc. I've never noticed suspension noises apart from minor squeaking on speed bumps nor the tocking, but I lost a wheel hub cap and center bolt last May which were replaced under warranty. I'm a little worried about "fixing" something that ain't broke and these washers causing more noise or headache down the road. Thoughts?

Also, it's really nice that the app shows your past appointments and how many items were serviced... If only they'd actually provide details.

Rivian R1T R1S New Rivian customer satisfaction campaign -- halfshaft issue (on 2022 R1S and R1T) Screenshot_20230502-215222

Rivian R1T R1S New Rivian customer satisfaction campaign -- halfshaft issue (on 2022 R1S and R1T) Screenshot_20230502-214902

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

3000s VIN and just got the email today about this applying to Broc. I've never noticed suspension noises apart from minor squeaking on speed bumps nor the tocking, but I lost a wheel hub cap and center bolt last May which were replaced under warranty. I'm a little worried about "fixing" something that ain't broke and these washers causing more noise or headache down the road. Thoughts?

Also, it's really nice that the app shows your past appointments and how many items were serviced... If only they'd actually provide details.

Screenshot_20230502-215222.png

Screenshot_20230502-214902.png
It is nice that the app shows your visits, just a shame that you seem to have needed so many visits in the first place.

TXKidd

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T pre-order
FWIW, just picked up my truck from the service center, and they performed the fix from FSAM-1091. On my drive home I had none of the usual (for me) ticking/tocking/grinding sounds on initial acceleration. Really hoping this fix lasts!

Rivian R1T R1S New Rivian customer satisfaction campaign -- halfshaft issue (on 2022 R1S and R1T) IMG_1013
Sponsored